Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What spares do you carry / have for your 993

Kimbo

Paul Ricard
Prompted by my recent breakdown in a very cold and dark Ashdown Forest recently, I realised that apart from a DME relay (which may have been the cause), I don't have any spares for my 993 and if I'd have broken down miles from home or on holiday, I would have been a bit scuppered. Fortunately I made it home in a series of start-stop manoeuvres.

I have some jump leads in the car, but that's about it. I thought 993's were 100% reliable - but they're not.

Do you carry a bootful of spares in case you break down?

DME Relay - learned the hard way in a 944. No other spares or tools other than the standard tool kit, fuses etc.

DME relay. Fuses. Breakdown assistance telephone number. Mobile phone.

I'm going to make a list, as I know we all like lists.

Please add to it.

1. DME Relay
2. Fuses (what type/how many?)
3. Mobile Phone
4. Breakdown assistance telephone number.
5. Spare battery for immobiliser key fob
6. Torch
7. Warm coat

Kimbo said:
I'm going to make a list, as I know we all like lists.

Please add to it.

1. DME Relay
3. Mobile Phone
6. Torch
7. Warm coat
8. Spare ltr of oil

DME relay, like you, because the chap at Autofarm thought it was fairly amazing my original one still works after 19 years and for the sake of a small component I don't want to be stranded so that lives in the door pocket. I figured on leaving the original one in until it fails, though - it's been reliable! :puh:

Also carrying a large black binbag under the tool roll, since Clarkycat shared an experience trying to stow a filthy, wet wheel with flat tyre dripping foul black sludge all over the place in an otherwise spotless (white mag leather lotus iirc) interior - just want to you want after dealing with a flat. If you need to use the spacesaver then the wheel can't fit in the boot so putting it in the bag before squeezing it on to the back seats makes a lot of sense.

The DME relay - no-one tells you about it when you buy the car. I didn't even know what it was until I came on here. Newbies - get one :thumb:

I'm going to put Fuel Pump on the list. I guess most garages could fit it if you were stranded.

1. DME Relay
3. Mobile Phone
6. Torch
7. Warm coat
8. Spare ltr of oil
9. Fuel Pump
10. Belts
11. Chocolate
12. Black bin bag to put your flat tyre in
13. Gloves
14. Jump Leads
15. Tow rope

DME relay and litre of oil

Both in a Mobil1 zippy bag!

I have a nice check picnic rug in marble grey/mid grey just because it matched the car interior.

Spare Battery for my Alarm/Immob Fob, as well as small screwdriver to get it open.

Added these to the car following a daft time where I couldn't turn off the immobiliser with the fob.

I also carry a DME Relay, Detailing Spray and some Micro Fibre Cloths :oops:

One of those reflective little vests for when you break down on the side of the road and have your head shoved up the chuff of your car at least you might be seen.

Last time I went abroad in the car I dutifully packed all of your list in a bag ( minus the fuel pump :wink: ), left it next to the car ready for the morning and promptly forgot the lot. :boxin:

A tin of wax.......and a spare tin of wax :thumb:

What about a pair of tights (preferably with reinforced gusset) in case the fan belt pops :dont know:

Surprised no-one has said this but I always try to make sure there's a big bottle of drinking water in the car. Doesn't dual as a spare for an air cooled car I know but can be a vital spare part for the driver.

Other useful stuff if you get stuck somewhere -

Teflon-sleeved wheel nut socket (kept with locking wheel nut key!)
Rags (numerous uses, padding a jack for instance
Sunscreen (double zip-lock bagged)

Under the bonnet of mine on longer trips:

DME relay
spare fan belts and shims
Light Bulbs
Fuses
Nitrile gloves
Large bin liner
Extensive tool kit
tyre inflator
Engine oil