Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM1-8bit-16bit

MarkoAL

Greetings from Finland!
I just last autumn purchased my first Porsche. It's an old Carrera 2 (996) from 1998.

I'm sure this issue has been dealt here several time, so sorry for that. But as a newbie I have hard time finding anything...

I have of course the old 8bit reader without any support to Finland.
Data fom my PCM below with old reader.

PCM: 3,86
Nav: POIE612C
Database: dca56/18602625

I got a new reader from US crashed car with marking:
996.642.122.03 EFR, with code of course. Is this 16bit?

I read somewhere that this PCM could be possible to update to newer version with 2002-2? Porsche CD? When I put the new reader in, it gives an errorcode

After this I could use Opel maps fom ~2011. I have the Opel maps, but where to find this update CD? And would it make the old system accept new Opel maps?

Any info you have is highly appreciated!

BR. Marko :?:

I think the problem will be using a 16-bit reader (CD drive / CD transport) with an 8-bit PCM main unit (navigation display).

Hi,
Thanks for fast reply!

I assume I can change the old 8bit PCM1 to the one with 16bits?
Cabling maybe the same?

But how to solve the short period they used this new 16bit PCM1 before going into their new system?

What was the first month for 16 bit PCM1? March maybe? Any way to spot the difference?

Did it then go to bus model PCM2?

BR. Marko

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back