Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

tyre drag

marino

Silverstone
Hi, when I turn the steering full lock the front tyres seem to drag [when parking] pzero n2, this did not happen with the previous n1 p zero. Can anyone tell me why. Carrera S 2007 thanks.

It's rear wheel drive and the laws of physics.the inner wheel is travelling the same as the outer. Impossible to do as the outer wheel has got to travel further than the inner. All wheel drive eliminates this with the diff.

Just new tyre tread gripping and "jumping" (it means your old tyres were either slippier or the weather was!).

Nothing to do with RWD (in fact it would happen on a FWD and AWD with the same geometry and width of tyres etc).

Therefore upgrading to a C4 ain't going to help.

This "scrabbling" is normal on lock due to the greatest difference in turning radii between inner and out wheels and the camber induced.

Exacerbated by wide tyres and cold tyres.

If we are talking laws of physics, simply familiarise yourself with Ackerman Angles:

488px-Ackermann_turning.svg.png

The steering system does implement an Ackerman compensation, but limitations due to complexity and robustness and catering for straight line feel and linearity etc, this is not perfect.

Even this little Lego version implements an Ackerman compensation geometry:

http://www.sheepo.es/2011/05/porsche-911-997-turbo-cabriolet-pdk_04.html

The above shows the idealised (zero contact pacth width) Ackerman compensation linkage.

There are many mechanical reasons why this cannot be implemented in reality.

The wide tyres is the most fundamental (as the inner and outer shoulder require different Ackerman compensation angles).

The jumping is when this differential force overcomes the tyres differential grip (across tread - greater force the greater the width or turning angle) - which occurs more likely under cold (hard) tyre conditions.

Someone recently told me that the tyres go `a bit plastic` at these low temperatures.
My Vito does the same when I reverse off the drive on hard lock. Normal, especially with wide tyres.

GT4- that's physics- like under steer, the forward force is more than than lateral grip :?:

chaser said:
Someone recently told me that the tyres go `a bit plastic` at these low temperatures.
My Vito does the same when I reverse off the drive on hard lock. Normal, especially with wide tyres.

Yes and no to your source.

In the relative material comparison (soft) rubber vs (hard) plastic, yes

In the Latin sense, no. (as plastic's pliability definition would be the perfect description of rubber!).

Assuming the former, as I said, coldness exacerbates the effect as the hard rubber can't gradually give, but alternately digs in and then lets go (causing the mini jumps).

Alfaian said:
GT4- that's physics- like under steer, the forward force is more than than lateral grip :?:

Everything is physics.

Thanks, for the lesson in physics,i take it that its normal for these mini jumps with the new tyres.Thinking back the old tyres were well worn ,down to the legal limit. [getting my money worth] Thanks again

Get a few miles on them and see how you go on, the wider tyres will increase the Ackermann principle.

Would it make any different if the wheels were 8.5j instead of 8j, but having the same 235/35/19 tyres.

At a good guess.....No.

Worse (the tyre will be stretched more taught for the same pressure)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back