Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best Coolant

RyDog

Silverstone
Hi guys - just noticed my car's coolant level is below the Min level. Anyone know what best to use. Sat afternoon and no garages open. Want to avoid a teenager in Halfords destroy my engine too.

Thanks

Comma Xstream G40 antifreeze & coolant is the one to get from Halfords. ie: the pink one.

You should top up with whatever is in. If you don't you're mixing coolants and if that's the case, read this:

"Mixing Engine Coolants
There are many myths surrounding mixing engine coolants. Some might say mixing different types of coolants can increase the effectiveness of the cooling system or perhaps even extend the life of the engine. However, the fact is that one should never mix different types of engine coolants. Each coolant is precisely manufactured with different compounds to have different effects on the engine.

Mixing different types of coolants can have different outcomes. For example, some corrosion inhibitors might lose their effectiveness when mixed with other types of antifreeze. However, there may be cases where mixing two different coolants can cause serious damage, and it's not worth it to take the risk. Before changing from one type of coolant to the other, it's best to flush out the old coolant before placing in the new type. There are various cooling flushing kits available today to make this task easier. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) supports recycling of coolants. They suggest that because of the lower levels of chloride, recycled coolants can actually be better for the engine. However, it's always best to consult the owner's manual of the vehicle to get recommendations on which coolants should be used for that particular vehicle."

If you don't know, safer just to top up with water until you drain it all out and refill with one type.

Cheers Dave. Swift reply! I'll pop down there.

Did you use it / and is it straight pour in, i.e. No mixing with part water.

Worth asking, did you personally use it on your c4S. Wondering if it's what the garages use also.

Thanks mate

Yes I did use it in my 4s but as Alex has mentioned make sure you aren't mixing colours. If yours is currently pink which is typically used by most Porsche workshops then Comma G40 is the one to use but if it's green or yellow then you will need to find the matching type.

And yes it is a straight pour in. It is already premixed.

There's 2 types, ready mixed & concentrate. OP make sure you follow the instruction on whichever you buy (if you choose the G40)

7866.jpg

XSG40M5L.jpg

alex yates said:
There's 2 types, ready mixed & concentrate. OP make sure you follow the instruction on whichever you buy (if you choose the G40)

7866.jpg

XSG40M5L.jpg

:thumb:

Thanks Alex. I'll get hold of RSJ. Don't want to be one of those 996 stats.

DaveH911 said:
alex yates said:

7866.jpg

XSG40M5L.jpg

:thumb:

Thanks pal :thumb:

RSJ are going to call me in the morning. Looks this might the stuff. Helpful!

Fair enough being cautious.... But it is no surprise some of you get ripped off for servicing etc... :lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back