Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is high miles ok on a Gen2 Turbo PDK

Dhalsu

Hi guys,
Hope everyone is well?
A few "high miler" 997.2 turbos are beginning to appear for sale at the 50 odd grand mark.
Couple I have seen are 10 plates with about 77k on the clock.
Are these too high?
Thinking resale etc.
cheers

A lot depends upon what sort of mileage you're intending to do each year and how long you're intending to keep the car.

Bought at the right price and used sparingly for 3 or 4 years these will represent a fantastic amount of :D 's per £.

i.e You'll always have a car that will be devalued by the comparatively high mileage but if you buy at 77k miles and sell at 92k miles, 3 or 4 years later, you shouldn't do too badly at all.

Good luck :thumb:

They're fine but I'd find mint gen 1 turbo for that money rather than a 70k mile gen 2.

Its a superior race proven engine design on gen 1.

Also no-one knows how reliable PDK is. I've heard a PDK gearbox is £15k and they do go wrong from time to time. :thumbs:

Dhalsu,

Porsche Centre Newcastle have a nice Black Gen 2 Turbo with 57,506 miles for £56,990 including 2 warranty.

^ that price is insane for a Gen II

bloomin eck! and personally - I wouldn't care about mileage on a car, what's more important is servicing. Has it been maintained? Was the last owner meticulous and kept the car in good order?

Most people start their engines and thrash em soon after starting - including Porsche owners - I've seen it. Just follow your heart..

And don't worry about mileage or you'll become one of those w&nkkers who never drive their car because its a 'baby' or something to them.

Nicholassss said:
^ that price is insane for a Gen II.

My thoughts too.. I thought I'd missed something when I first saw it.
Just the one previous owner and given its got 2 years warranty I am sure Porsche has made sure its in good condition.

Unfortunately mileage makes a big difference hence high miles cars are cheap fir good reason. So many people say miles not important drive your cars, doesn't matter. The reality Porsche regularly change owners and the biggest factor in any car buy should be depreciation, factor in high miles on a gen 2 Turbo and the associated costs of maintaining a Turbo for me doesn't make any sense at all, a hard car to shift as the miles pile on and around the 100k mark will be even worse, few more grand fir low miles every time for me :thumb:

spongebob squarepants said:
the biggest factor in any car buy should be depreciation
Utter nonsense. The biggest factor should be whether you'll enjoy the bloody thing or not!

Better to buy a car with miles on and enjoy the drive than buy a garage queen and not drive it for fear of it depreciating. These cars will go on forever, get an inspection done then if it's fine, buy and enjoy :thumb:

Ekona said:
the biggest factor in any car buy should be depreciation
Utter nonsense. The biggest factor should be whether you'll enjoy the bloody thing or not!

Better to buy a car with miles on and enjoy the drive than buy a garage queen and not drive it for fear of it depreciating. These cars will go on forever, get an inspection done then if it's fine, buy and enjoy :thumb:

Err Dan you sold yours!!! Did it have high miles :?:

That's an awesome price for a gen2 with the ocp warranty. Tempting.. But looking for a turbo s ideally

That's the problem with the Sports 'scene', you got it in one!

Too scared to drive their precious baby for fear it may lose its worth if they knew how to enjoy it. I drive mine most days, it's just a car.

Too many nancy farts on here. I'd have a Gen 1 Turbo (if I wanted one) on 100,000k makes no difference it's an engine. I.don't buy cars to worry about when it sells - I buy it to press the gas pedal and get from A to B

Err Dan you sold yours!!! Did it have high miles :?:
In any other car, no. In a Porsche where people seem to getting more and more terrified of actually using the bloody things, yes. It had nearly 50K on the clock, so not quite as high as the OP's example, but it had already done over 20k in 18mths when I bought it. That means I could take it everywhere (Scotland, IoM, Gibraltar) without giving the slightest toss about the mileage. :mrgreen:

We always get told as Porsche people to buy on condition, not on mileage. Why should that only apply to the older stuff? Buying any car and spending time worrying about depreciation is a complete waste of money.

Ekona said:
We always get told as Porsche people to buy on condition, not on mileage. Why should that only apply to the older stuff?

But when 'they' (i.e the 964 and 993 'ers) say "buy on condition, not on mileage" they're talking about a car with maybe 130,000 miles up in 20+ years.

It's a fact of motoring life that above average mileage cars are less desirable than average or below average cars and low mileage cars always command a (sometimes ridiculous) premium.

As with anything .... yer pays yer money, yer takes yer choice.

Unfortunately mileage makes a big difference hence high miles cars are cheap fir good reason.

In what way other than price are you saying mileage makes a big difference?

IMO high mileage on relatively young cars means less than high miles on old cars. The chances are that the 15-30k miles pa on a young car are done at steady state for hours on end on the m1 or whatever.

As long as its been well maintained, what exactly makes you think higher mile cars are not as good as lower mileage ones?

Not being a *****, just wondering to understang your thinking :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back