Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car Audio Advice 997.1

v12v8

Just bought my first Porsche, a 997.1 C2S, and I'm loving it (big thanks to the chaps at RSJ). Planning on upgrading the audio and there is a fair bit of chat about ViseeO Misto, Tooki and Mobridge.

I like the idea of retaining the OEM look but the PCM functionality, while acceptable for the time (my car is 06), is out of date.

Instinct is to go the Mobridge route and get iPod and Bluetooth. But I do like the look of the Pioneer units with CarPlay etc. just a bit concerned they will look out of place.

Has anyone gone the Pioneer route? If so, any regrets? My car is booked into Cartronics on Saturday and they have been great and can do either Mobridge (£900) or the Pioneer upgrade (£1600). I can decide Saturday.

Appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Hi and welcome. We have something in common here as I also bought my c2s from rsj last year. I was in the same predicament. I opted for the pioneer f960 DAB and it's a fantastic bit of kit. Cost £1500 fully fitted :thumb:

I would definitely recommend fully replacing the entire system - the new HU will match the interior with no problems IMHO BUT honestly- the numbers being talked about sound incredibly expensive.
There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about options for interfaces etc - worth having a look.
I think you could do it for maybe half the money you are talking and it is not that difficult as a diy job.
Some of it depends on whether you have bose or not but it can still be done it just requires different solutions.

Im thinking of going with the pioneer, all i need to source is the leads to connect to the bose then ill probably DIY.

I appreciate the input. TBH I am utterly cack handed and the thought of doing it myself brings up images of a shredded PCM, wires out everywhere and me ending up utterly p****d off (and nursing a much bigger bill).

I have BOSE with the upgrade fitted to mine (whatever that means). I love my music but given the cabin noise, the BOSE is more than acceptable for me personally and I have no desire to change it.

I am pretty sure I can get it done cheaper - but I want it to work out of the box and have confidence that it will look good. The £1700 was quoted for fitting a DAB unit where the labour for fitting the radio represents the additional expense (so I am told, and I have no reason to doubt that). The cost for a non DAB unit is, I expect, much lower. With the switch over to DAB a certainty, but not in the immediate future, this is an option. But not necessary for me.

I haven't seen many pics of the Pioneer fitted - that may just sway me.

I'll let you know how I get on - and promise to post some pics of the work I have done and the car.

My car (silver on black) has the aero kit factory fit option with Carrera Sport wheels. Wasn't my first choice until I saw it in the flesh. Mmmmm

Best.

I went ahead and had the Pioneer 960DAB fitted Saturday and in summary it is a revelation compared to the PCM (not unexpected).

I now have DAB radio (which is stunning - better even than my Range Rover), CD (I will probably never use), Bluetooth (phone and music streaming), a decent sat nav and CarPlay when the iPhone is plugged in.

Works a dream - thanks to the chaps at Cartronics. Even the steering wheel controls still work.

Worth considering if you fancy upgrading the PCM.

I'll get some photos done.

v12v8 said:
I went ahead and had the Pioneer 960DAB fitted Saturday and in summary it is a revelation compared to the PCM (not unexpected).

I now have DAB radio (which is stunning - better even than my Range Rover), CD (I will probably never use), Bluetooth (phone and music streaming), a decent sat nav and CarPlay when the iPhone is plugged in.

Works a dream - thanks to the chaps at Cartronics. Even the steering wheel controls still work.

Worth considering if you fancy upgrading the PCM.

I'll get some photos done.

That sounds good, do you mind saying how much? you can pm me if you prefer, cheers.

v128V,

I too am going down the Pioneer route although my eye was caught by the F60 DAB which appears to be the same as the 960 DAB but with the CD slot hidden and thus a larger screen. It's on sale at Car Audio Centre for little more than the 960 at the moment too.

What I was also interested in was a speaker upgrade. My car has the standard speakers and it's pretty woeful. Very little separation or definition of tone and the bass in uncontrollable. It's either booming or off.

Is there a tried and tested speaker setup that works in these cars? Happy to stick £500-750 into sorting the speakers.

I'm surprised Porsche haven't put Carplay into their factory system. It's been around for a couple of years now. The speed iPod connectivity went into new cars was stunning but this doesn't seem to be popular with manufacturers.

eBay - search Porsche 997 double din - the connects 2 kit is readily available for £30 or £40.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back