Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayman R - Issues, Faults or concerns?

martin.997.C4S

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi chaps.

I'm hoping to get back into a Porsche after two years without my 911.

This time I'm looking at the Cayman R.

I really love the whole package of this car and I only really drive at weekends so I could be perfect for what I want and the low miles I do.

I'm also thinking that values of these could hold reasonably well? (basically I'm hoping that I wouldn't do my beans after a couple of years ownership) Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I guess my main point from this post is to find out from current owners and people in the know, what the known issues are with this model of Cayman.

I'm very familiar with the bore scoring issues, the IMS failure and RMS failure on 911s and earlier Caymans. But what I'm keen to know is if these problems have been resolved with the newer engine in the Cayman???

If they have, then are there any other problems to be concerned about?

I'll be buying with my head anyway and looking around for a couple of months first. Then hopefully buying one from an OPC to benefit from the 2 years warranty. But this could be a car I look to keep for a long time afterwards.

I've been looking at a lot of other cars, like Lotus Elises etc. But I think my heart is set on a Cayman R now.

Any advice, pointers or comments are all welcome and appreciated. So tell me what you know and tell me your thoughts on my comments.

Cheers chaps.
Martin

I know I sound like a stuck record on this but the Cayman R is the best Porsche I have owned. I have not heard of any specific problems with them and I do believe that they will depreciate very little if at all.

Spec does seem to be important as there have been a number of CR's for sale that seem to have been around for a while. These typically seem to be ones without A/c and without c/f buckets. The big debate is whether you should go manual or PDK. The purists will say manual and it is expected that these may be more desirable in the future. However, try the PDK in Sports/Sports Plus mode, it is superb!

Good luck in your search.

martin.997.C4S said:
...looking around for a couple of months first.

I discovered 'looking around' very quickly turns to buying particularly if you have your own list of requirements and are keen on certain items of spec. When you see that car (or something close to it) you need to move quickly. Good luck in the search. No negatives of ownership to report so far but I've only had mine a couple of months.

Pictures of the car at https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5oHfUC

Having come from a 996 c4s with all the associated potential issues (although mine had none) I haven't heard of any terrible issues with the Cayman R at all. The New DFI engine is supposed to have cured scoring and IMS problems but you never know 100%. As long as you buy a well looked after car with all the s/h in place you should be fine.

As to spec, well I have PDK (Fab) and sports seats as against buckets and have PSE as of next week as I'm having it fitted by my OPC as part of the purchase. Its horses for courses. In terms of resale, I would say get one with the lowest miles you can and with a full OPC history. People talk about how good indies are and I am sure they are but when buying such a specific car I would still want full OPC history - I think this is really important. You are also far more likely to get good will from Porsche if your warranty has finished and you can extend the warranty for about 800 quid a year too.

I think long term, strong values are certain, maybe even appreciating slightly but it will come down to condition, mileage and OPC history. Buy the car you want, not what someone else wants, that way you'll be enjoying your hard earned £40k far more and if when selling you lose a couple of grand against it being spec'd differently so what? The excellent residuals compensate for that over and over again.

This has just popped up at an OPC. I like the green - no PCM though. 2 year warranty is nice to have so I would always buy from a Porsche dealer personally. http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-r/3313649

Dave said:
I know I sound like a stuck record on this but the Cayman R is the best Porsche I have owned. I have not heard of any specific problems with them and I do believe that they will depreciate very little if at all.

Spec does seem to be important as there have been a number of CR's for sale that seem to have been around for a while. These typically seem to be ones without A/c and without c/f buckets. The big debate is whether you should go manual or PDK. The purists will say manual and it is expected that these may be more desirable in the future. However, try the PDK in Sports/Sports Plus mode, it is superb!

Good luck in your search.

Spec is VERY important to me. I wouldn't buy one without:

Carbon buckets
Radio/CD
Spyder Wheels
PSE
Manual (even though I know PDK is awesome I like a manual stick)

Air con I would prefer but it's not essential.

Webdunk said:
martin.997.C4S said:
...looking around for a couple of months first.

I discovered 'looking around' very quickly turns to buying particularly if you have your own list of requirements and are keen on certain items of spec. When you see that car (or something close to it) you need to move quickly. Good luck in the search. No negatives of ownership to report so far but I've only had mine a couple of months.

Pictures of the car at https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5oHfUC

Haha I know mate. Although I normally rush into buying cars when I fall in love with one, so I'm determined not to be so eager this time. Even though it hasn't caused me any problems over the years yet.

If one comes up with my perfect spec and a colour I like then I would buy quickly!

Even though you've had no issues, are there no horror stories with these cars like there are with the other engines Porsche make?

I didn't find much in the way of horror story when I was doing my homework. Either nothing much has cropped up yet due to relatively low mileages or the issues affecting other models have been mitigated/resolved in the CR.

In reply to Fokker - as I can't quote you for some reason.

That's good to hear. Must be a relief owning the car without worrying every time you drive it, or was that not the case with the 996.

I agree about buying the car I want. I'm very picky. I've spent the last two days at work reading reviews and articles on the car haha.

I will be aiming to stick with an OPC for the warranty though, it will take a lot to sway me otherwise I think.

What actually is PCM? I thought it was Porsche Communicatin Module? But what does that actually give you?

I like the green, I think it's the classic Cayman R colour, but I prefer something more subtle.

Webdunk said:
I didn't find much in the way of horror story when I was doing my homework. Either nothing much has cropped up yet due to relatively low mileages or the issues affecting other models have been mitigated/resolved in the CR.

That's great to hear! :)

I did read somewhere that there are more oil pick ups on the gen 2 Cayman. That they don't even have a RMS anymore and that the IMS bearing issues have been ironed out with newer bigger bearings.

Great cars...

Bought mine in November after looking for a few weeks..

Not done many miles in her as yet, but I did drive her back from Newcastle to Surrey..

I understand Bucket's, PSE and Climate are the must haves..

May get mine out for a weekend blast this weekend... :thumb:

Daniel said:
Great cars...

Bought mine in November after looking for a few weeks..

Not done many miles in her as yet, but I did drive her back from Newcastle to Surrey..

I understand Bucket's, PSE and Climate are the must haves..

May get mine out for a weekend blast this weekend... :thumb:

Sounds nice, colour?

Have you considered one of these?

Very similar in performance, lightened, same engine etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-Pors...7793940?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4d24aceb14

Porsche_Boxster_S_Spyder_Heck_AME.jpg

I think with GT3 prices going mad the Cayman R is 'the next best toy' in the range, so prices should hold.

Plus if the new GT4 Cayman due later this year is a 4 cylinder turbo (50/50 I hear at the moment) then could be a classic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back