Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S -buy with a few faults but with full engine rebuild?

Beej160

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all
Newbie so please be gentle!
I'm looking to buy a 996 C4S tiptronic (04). The guy tells me he's had a full engine rebuild by Hartech in 2012 (will phone them on Monday to confirm). The car is in pretty good condition but with a few niggles (a new rad perhaps, a coolant hose corroded and mayo under oil cap - says he doesn't really drive it much, no oil in water or water in dipstick). Brakes, tyres, body all look fine.
Should I still consider it?

Mayo under cap is quite normal, especially if not used much and at this time of year.
I replaced a rad on mine in September for around £78.
See what Hartech have to say, but other than that doesn't sound too bad.

Hi Alex

Thanks for your quick reply.
I thought the mayo might be normal due to low usage of the car, I should have taken a picture of it, it was quite a lot in there!
Yes, all depends on what Hartech have to say. To be honest, I'd prioritise an engine rebuild by Hartech to small niggles the car might have. I hope that is sound logic.
Cheers

infrasilver has more knowledge than me on how much mayo is too much. He should be here soon to comment.

If Hartech have done their stuff then that would put it higher up the rankings for me, so yes I agree - good logic.

Thanks once again for your opinion. Just for everyone's interest, I'd estimate there to be a good 4 inches of the oil tube with mayo in it, thickness roughly 5mm, decreasing down the tube. The oil cap was full of crud too.

alex yates said:
infrasilver has more knowledge than me on how much mayo is too much. He should be here soon to comment.

If Hartech have done their stuff then that would put it higher up the rankings for me, so yes I agree - good logic.

Cheers Alex, and like he says mayo is normal.

A lot of Mayo actually might not be bad thing, if there is a lot there it obviously doesn't use much oil as this would get washed back into the engine with every top up, (which IS a bad thing), it's best to keep an eye on it and clean it out, it's just oil vapour/condensation and you ideally don't want this back in the engine. I use kitchen towel to wipe it out, before I top up the oil.

Initially sounds like a good car though and if the price is right and you can knock the price down to get the faults fixed you should be laughing.

Thanks for your input infrasilver, you've confirmed my initial thoughts.
I'll keep you posted once I've spoken with Hartech.

:thumb: :
Good luck and keep us posted :thumb:

Sounds interesting.

Bear in mind that this is a C4S and shares some common parts with the 996 turbo, one of these being the front rads and they are more expensive.

Any other obvious faults with the car?

Here's a quick list of things you might check..

Did Hartech put a complete set of cylinder liner in (one or two out of 6 is a quick fix)? Check paperwork.
Was the IMS bearing replaced ?
Low temp thermostat and new water pump fitted?
Clutch replaced? (Makes sense if engine and box are removed)

Do the radiator fans operate in low and high speed? They should both come on low speed when engine is idling and aircon is turned on with snowflake symbol illuminated. Once engine is hot high speed should cut in & out.

Are the brake discs and pads in good condition (they are the same as turbo drilled ones and can crack)

Check steering column indicator stalk & wash wipe works correctly (common fault)

Does aircon get cold (if not suspect rotten condensers)

:thumb:

An engine rebuild is the most expensive potential cost with these cars, yours has been done. Other fairly expensive
items that WILL need replacing at some time:
Rads and condensors
Coffin arms
Water pump
clutch, flywheel RMS seal
Alternator
Indicator switchgear
Brakes discs and pads
Plugs and coil packs
Tyres

Try to find out if any of these have been replaced yet, if not, expect to shell out after purchase. My 2002 C4S, bought 2 years ago with 40k on the clock ( not with 53k),has had expenditure in all the above areas except water pump. I bought what I felt was a good car, but have still thrown @£5k at it to get it up to perfect. The 4S is an amazing car, worth every penny, but you do need to keep on top of the maintenance.

Hi all

Thanks for the extra replies.

Mayo issue has been answered, seems normal enough to have it so I'm ok with that.

The car has around 95k on clock, 04 plate but serviced every year with its MOT. I know the service schedule is every 2 years for an 04 plate (?) do another plus.

I'm speaking to Hartech tomorrow so can update this thread when I've had some answers. I'll ask about the usual culprits (cylinders, ims, rms, water pump, low temp stat).

Brakes (discs and pads) are in excellent order, lots of meat left on them. One of the condensers looks fine and clean, the other has some leaves around the base of it but otherwise ok too. Hence my original txt saying a possible rad or condenser to replace.

Suspension all seems fine too, no knocks or the dreaded squeak (coffin arms) that I detected.

Tiptronic model, climate, sat nav, 6-cd changer, Bose, parking assist, sunroof, heated seats so very well equipped.

Price I'm negotiating right now so I'd rather keep that private till I get it and pending Hartech report but it's below 17k.

Regards

Thanks for the extra checklist Harv, I didn't check the fans but I will do when I go back. Was wipe and stalk controls all work.

Shurv, I realise these as common issues that WILL. Have to get seen to eventually but all seems ok right now.

Hi Beej, I just listed the common "fails", which are really consumables on these cars to help you confirm the value of your potential purchase. If you can find some invoices for any work carried out, then it's a bonus. I'd imagine, many of these common items will have been replaced already on your car. The C4S is an amazing car, you'll love it, and they take the miles easily. I've spent a lot on mine, but I bought to keep, so I'm hoping for a few years of trouble free motoring from now on.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back