Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ben's Blue 993 Targa

BenC

thought I should properly introduce my new 993 :)

picked up a 1997 Ocean Blue metallic manual Targa, with marble grey leather interior, at the end of December from the far corner of Wales. it's done 92k and seems in excellent condition. I had spent about a year searching for a late manual targa and I am very pleased with this one.
so far it is everything that I had hoped it would be and I am loving every minute in it.

thought I'd keep a blog here as I quite like to document all the things I do to my cars, so feel free to ignore or to join in!

as I mentioned, the car is in very good shape, but there were a few things that I thought I could improve on straight away so I've been busy getting a few jobs done

so far I have bought/ fitted:
- Insurance and tax - both £20 each a month, which I'm pleased with and the ability to now pay road tax monthly certainly helps spread the load
- Bentley manual. finally arriving on Wednesday hopefully.
- 2 x rear conti sports
- 2 x headlights 'glass'
- Baby car seat for jr!
- Rotated speedo a little bit as I'm a bit tall and couldn't see the top of the speedo!
- New plates.
- New pass window switch.
- Optimate 4 Accumate waterproof permanent battery lead connection cable with extension fitted to battery
- New smaller H&P alarm fob programmed and on key ring.
- 'coin tray' to go in place of cassette storage between the seats.
- today I collected a Becker Indianapolis Pro, with new blue tooth phone mic, iPod connection which enables full control from the head unit (which I'm going to route through to the glovebox), GPS aerial and Nav CD (which I plan to upgrade). also planning a DAB unit easily accessed but out of sight in the ashtray :)

Ready to fit:
- New bearing for spoiler lift mechanism.
- new spoiler 'curtain' as mine has split
- Headlight HID kit, all other external LED upgrade bulbs and LED kit for centre consol from Tore.
- Heated wing mirror glass for passenger side
- correct front wipers, including the all important 'wiper widget'!

Met with 'Glassman' Paul last week and he is fitting a new screen and correct seals at the end of this week
and also booked into a body shop to sort passenger door check strap, which has just slightly come away so I want to sort it before it gets too bad.

Still to figure out / to do:
- where to fit a fire extinguisher that's out of the way and not attached to the passenger seat rails? always like to have one fitted ever since my 1972 beetle caught fire while I was driving it!

That's the first 2 weeks of my 993 ownership :D

these are a bit arty but here are few pics from just before I bought it as I haven't had a chance to take any shots of the car clean yet as it's either been dark, below freezing or I've been driving it! (on the last owner's private plates, now changed back to original reg)
IMG_6130_zpsb1bf6690.jpg

IMG_6135_zps6078501e.jpg

IMG_6131_zpsde8977af.jpg

IMG_6136_zps66a1ef09.jpg

IMG_6133_zpsd90c5b0b.jpg

all important seat for the co-pilot! bit of a grainy phone pic as the light was fading fast
IMG_6140_zpsf60f4eb4.jpg

happy days :D

Welcome ...and lovely car. Design icon.
I look forward to sharing some leaky creaky roof stories!

Off to a flying start!

Hi - welcome - thanks for the info you've posted re the baby seat!

Beautiful car, really like that colour scheme, the wheels too and respect for the impressive list you're tackling :thumb:

Interested in the DAB unit you mentioned, I put a Becker with Bluetooth, IPod etc into mine as soon as I got it, but the big let down is the pants FM reception :x

Snap:

The seat works well although I think I may change to the Maxi Cosi Rodi SPS in about 6 months.

Do you need DAB? I just stream radio from TuneIn Radio on my iPhone via the bluetooth Tune2air. Works great :thumb:

Thanks for the welcome :)

Am pleased / relieved to have the baby seat sorted.
Am enjoying working on the car - half the fun for me, with the other half driving them!

Thought I'd fit DAB and stream it via the radio - main reason is for the sports stations etc

Haven't heard of Tune2Air, will investigate. Doesn't it kill your phone battery and rack up a load of data charges?

Tune2Air is superb, hats off to mohitos for that! Price has fallen to less than £50 on Amazon.

I stream from TuneIn Radio too, but was concerned about data use, it's my work phone and there has been some recent hoohah about data costs, so thought I'd see what could be done using some kind of DAB gadget, if such a thing exists.

If data use is low, maybe I should use it and then claim I didn't realise there were data implications if anything gets said :grin:

Sounds like a risky strategy :hand:

I guess so, but I wouldn't think data use is itemised in the same way as calls and texts and I have to use data when I can't get to wifi and need to access work apps :bandit:

BenC, the tune2air will only cost you for data if you're streaming a service from t'internet, whereas using it so that you can play your music from your phone rather than have a separate iPod in the glove box doesn't of course. I prefer to control iTunes from my phone, I found using the Becker as the iTunes controller was limiting, so tune2air was great for that alone.

You may well have all this sort of thing sussed, but if you're interested you could have easy use of the phone while keeping it charged by sitting it in a Kenu Airframe mounted in the right centre vent, connected via a short Lightning to USB cable to a near-flush USB charger that stays unobtrusively in the cigarette lighter. All works very well and all tips from various people on here.

Congrats on the car, there is nothing like tinkering with them to get to know them is there :thumb:

Snap.
Good to see another one being looked after.
:thumbs:

goodies :)
IMG_6156_zpsd08edb41.jpg

IMG_6155_zps7282c029.jpg

Finally Bentley manual arrived.
Correct wipers with the all important 'wiper widget'!
imagejpg1_zpsdab5ba5c.jpg

Lock covers, new key head with mega bright LED and smaller alarm fob (which works miles better than the old one!) and mini bulb for the headlight switch
imagejpg1_zpsa2be2a65.jpg

found a couple of hours to fit the Indianapolis Pro this morning and route all the wires
blue tooth phone mic
iPod connection in the glove box
Nav pick-up discreetley on drivers side dash top
head unit snugly in place.

love it :)
IMG_6192_zps83e4ca8e.jpg

removed an obsolete phone aerial that was stuck to the old screen and there is a load of old wires that are going to get removed next

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back