Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Arrrgh! The garage have crashed my 993!

asterix_the_gaul

Barcelona
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Dear community, it's been way too long, children and a falling down house have taken most of my time this last couple of years, but I thought I would get the beast out and try to use it, so booked in for mot as that expired a couple of months ago. Dropped it off to the garage at the end of my road which has done the past few mot's on all the cars no dramas. Got a call at lunchtime to say it passed no problem but they stacked it up the back of another car bringing it back to the garage. They apparently have another garage they took it to that one to mot. Totally gutted. I don't want the crappy Insurance bodyshop to fix it, I was imagining getting 9 meister to sort it out as they know what they are doing. I'm guessing I call up the garage Insurance people and say I want it fixed by 9m given its a classic Porsche not a Ford mondeo. Anybody have any advice how to handle this one?

Holy crap! Speak to your Insurance company ASAP?

sorry to hear this - not sure what I'd do in this situation apart from cry :sad:

Is it anything to do with your Insurance? Probably not.

It's all down to the garage who did the damage and any Insurance they have.

Exactly. Depending on how cooperative the garage are, his Insurance company may have a claim on the garage's Insurance company?

Yes, totally covered by the garages Insurance policy, no problem with that just wanted someone competent to fix it. I've not seen it but described as front bumper, wing and headlight so It's not just a scratch they have stacked it good and proper.

Sounds like they have been out for a joyride to me, I would want more details on this "other" garage and mot testing station details on the MOT matching up or I would be taking it further with the owner etc.... Ps worth checking mileage recorded at time of mot and distance to this "other garage etc to check they stack up.

Not what you want to here but I've known enough back street mechanics who enjoy bragging about taking cars out for "road tests" :nooo:

Yes, we all know what they were probably up to, but they do have another garage, so possible. I always leave the car absolutely on fumes when it goes for mot to discourage any such behaviour, I should have expressly banned them from taking it off the premises but hindsight is an exact science.. Now getting back to the original post, has anyone ever specified where their 993 is repaired in a no fault claim? Is it possible / straight forward?

I would have though that getting Porsche or whoever to pick it up and passing a quote to the offending garage would be the norm. Same as a RTA. You may possibly have to get a second quote if the garage's insurers think it is too expensive but I am sure they will be fine.

Just get a recommendation for an appropriate body shop from a 911UK member. I think most dealers have an approved repairer who do their accident damage repairs if not in house.

Pip

Insurance

definitely contact your Insurance.
you surely have a juridic service (lawyer-solicitor) that could pursue your claim, and this service is always included in your Insurance.
Don't find yourself facing the opposite Insurance company by yourself
best regards

I've been in the Insurance industry for 15 years and have seen a few of these cases, so hopefully this might help. Clearly anyone driving the vehicle not named on your policy is not covered should the worst happen. However, most personal lines insurers have an exception to the above if the car is with the motor trade.

This means you could use your own insurer and potentially choose your own repairer (that bit is down to your own insurer and who they allow you to use for repairs). Unfortunately, the normal principles apply i.e. unless your insurer can recover their losses it will be held as a fault claim against you. So unless the garage are willing to reimburse the repair costs, it will be held as a fault claim.

The garage have Insurance in place to cover them against such losses and therefore will be claiming under their own policy. You need to speak to the garages insurer and determine what the scope of the policy is - will they allow you to use a garage of your choice being the key question.

The chances are they will do, but are likely to make life difficult by asking for two estimates to validate the repair costs. I'm afraid commercial lines (this being the Insurance the garage will hold) isn't my area, but you have every right to obtain the insurers details from the garage and contact them. Hope that helps and you get it sorted.

Sorry to hear this, I keep hearing these stories. My car was MOT'd last week at my OPC. £54

If it were me I'd want the OPC to do the repairs. I don't understand why you'd not want this considering it will be of no cost to you? (Don't want to turn it into a Indy versus OPC thiugh).

Also if they resist I'd tell them you will go to the press and tell them what happened, the adverse advertising wouldn't be good for them.

isysman said:
Sorry to hear this, I keep hearing these stories. My car was MOT'd last week at my OPC. £54

Does your OPC do MOTs? I thought they all use local garages. So the car is still taken off site. Guess you are better with an OPC should something happen.

I always wait when the Porsche is getting an MOT just to be sure.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back