Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Socket sets

jonboy

Spa-Francorchamps
Looking at treating myself to a new socket set and wondered if anyone had any recommendations. I have been looking at this set a Halfords as its on offer and in some of the Auto Express reviews their range came on top.

I wanted also people view on the socket size range need for general work on a 997.... unlikely I suspect to be tackling big complex jobs but if purchasing a new set I did not want to start with a limitation.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ga...advanced-professional-55-piece-socket-set-1-2

I think they will cover all your basic needs. You might want to add extension bars in time but very few sets come with all options so work that out when you actually need one.

I got the 120 piece set when they were on offer @£60 over Christmas. Quality metal and I have thrown all my old chinese socket sets away :thumb: Didn't really need more spanners but they were in the kit.

Halfraud's lifetime guarantee. What can possibly go wrong :roll:

The Halfords one seems a bit pricey for what you're getting. Argos do some similar stuff for less, like this Stanley one:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2386564.htm

When I bought mine many, many years ago, priority was metric sockets from 6mm up to 24mm and equivalent imperial ones, extension bars, 3 rachets: 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drives, universal joints, plug sockets and a few screwdriver type flat, philips, posidrive and Torx bits.

It's been one of my best friends ever since. I've had to add the odd extra socket that weren't in, but they're only a couple of quid from B&Q or Halfords.

Mines something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-94...059?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item259ba5fabb

Just one other thing. If I was to buy one now, I'd deffo go for ones with 6 sided sockets. The multi-flat ones are a nightmare for rounding nuts and bolts off.

Zingari said:
I think they will cover all your basic needs. You might want to add extension bars in time but very few sets come with all options so work that out when you actually need one.

I got the 120 piece set when they were on offer @£60 over Christmas. Quality metal and I have thrown all my old chinese socket sets away :thumb: Didn't really need more spanners but they were in the kit.

Halfraud's lifetime guarantee. What can possibly go wrong :roll:

I too bought the same set over Xmas, the quality is impressive for the money,
I wouldn't be surprised if the were made by snap on and branded halfrauds :thumb:

The Halfords sets are good quality, Snap On is also good but very expensive for the DIYer but my best tools are made by Teng, lifetime guarantee and I've had a 1/4 inch drive ratchet for over 25 years and it's never even needed servicing.

:yeah:

Had some Teng stuff that has lasted forever after massive abuse :D

Fed up with Halfords today, after my visit to CentreGravity yesterday and finding that all of my tyres were -3PSI on their equipment, I reserved online a new super-duper digital pressure guage......................only to find it was not in stock when I got there to pick it up :?:

Drove to another branch and got it there instead.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ga...halfords-advanced-digital-tyre-pressure-gauge

Nice little bit of kit, but saying -1.5 PSI, I`m putting that down to temperature though :frustrated:

Got Halfords' 200-piece socket set a few months back.

£150, life-time guarantee and just about every combination of tools. Guys at work all use Snap-On, but the Halfords set appears to be pretty close for about 10% of the price. :D

Attachments

• 200_piece_set_485.jpg
    200_piece_set_485.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 6,629

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back