Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Double Din with Bose

jonboy

Spa-Francorchamps
I know this has been covered before as a topic both here and on PH but after reading the various threads I am still left with questions.

I am considering replacing my PCM 2.1 with a Pioneer FC960 DAB but retain my BOSE amp. What I am struggling to get clarity on it the connectivity between the new head unit and amp/car

Specifically has anyone done this and used these or similar leads

http://caraudiosecurity.com/pc9-408-porsche-bose-system-to-speaker-harness-lead

jonboy said:
I know this has been covered before as a topic both here and on PH but after reading the various threads I am still left with questions.

I am considering replacing my PCM 2.1 with a Pioneer FC960 DAB but retain my BOSE amp. What I am struggling to get clarity on it the connectivity between the new head unit and amp/car

Specifically has anyone done this and used these or similar leads

http://caraudiosecurity.com/pc9-408-porsche-bose-system-to-speaker-harness-lead
Hi, I've got the exact same head unit in mine. Great bit of kit but had mine installed. Had to pay for a few extras but God knows what they were. The guy who installed it said porsche were nightmares so I'd get someone to do it who knows what their doing. Sorry I can't be of further help.

Alfaian

Thanks for the response could you share what the fitting cost was including the bits .... basically cost less the head unit as I have spoke someone this morning who was suggesting well over a grand to fit.

jonboy said:
Alfaian

Thanks for the response could you share what the fitting cost was including the bits .... basically cost less the head unit as I have spoke someone this morning who was suggesting well over a grand to fit.

Hey Jon, a grand :eek: my total bill was £1550 the unit itself was £900 brand new plus £150 for bits fitting £400. Sounds expensive but porsche wiring with Bose are fibre optic I beleive and the place I took it to, took best part of a day to install. I've put head units, speakers in a lot of my old alfas I've owned, so I'm not exactly blind to it all but with the porsche I just let the experts sort it.

Alfaian

Your fitting cost was more what I was expecting and similarly I have fitting numerous audio systems into my cars including ones that have fibre as the circuit so was surprised by the suggested price. The vague area is this connection to the head unit what parts are required.

jonboy said:
Alfaian

Your fitting cost was more what I was expecting and similarly I have fitting numerous audio systems into my cars including ones that have fibre as the circuit so was surprised by the suggested price. The vague area is this connection to the head unit what parts are required.

Jon I honestly couldn't tell you mate. I left it all to the installer. Maybe others can advise you better. It's a cracking head unit when you get it sorted so good luck :thumb:

I'm assuming if you do this you lose the integration with the dashboard? (i.e. control from the stalks, satnav / radio channel directions on the digital speedo, etc)

I wish someone did a decent carplay enabled thing like the 960 that actually kept the in car integration ;p

Jonboy, the lead in your link will be of no use.

Behind the pcm 2.1 is a fibre optic connection to the amp in the frunk.
This means you have 2 options:
1) find a way of connecting the new HU to the fibre optic loop - which requires an interface because nobody make a HU with fibre connections (afaik)
2) remove the HU, and the fibre also which also means replacing the amp. From the amp back you can then connect up to the existing speaker wires which is easy because there is a £25 cable to allow you to do this. This is the route I went down - I bought a 5 channel amp and installed it in the frunk and removed the bose amp alltogether. Very happy with mine.

That said, since I did mine there is a connects2 interface which has become available. If I am honest I would try this - probably slightly cheaper but lots simpler.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connects2...3?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item58ad7b27eb

It's really not that difficult and it's quite a satisfying project to do yourself. I would give it a go. You will also need a dab aerial and some fakra connectors.

Do your own diligence on the interface obviously before you spend the £170 but it looks like what you need to me.

Best of luck!

I'm having a parrot asteroid smart fitted tomorrow. The lead I've had to buy to connect the Bose back up is almost as much as the stereo itself.

Hello and just to let you know that I have just done this to my 997 with Bose. I read a lot of info on alot of forums most of them from America.( delray customs)
To keep your Bose working in the car you will need to buy a very expensive bit of kit which cost me £430.00. This is a box with a lot of wires and the fiber optic link up that you need. Got mine from http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/...amp-stereo-wiring-harness-adaptor-for-porsche . Fitted this my self and you have wires every where but I got it done and it is great. I have the Pioneer F60DAB and its a great unit. If you look on the net there a lot of pics and info on how to fit this yourself .
The unit even tells you that you are speeding
( not that mine has ever said that of course ) lol .
The only thing you lose is the fader as this can't be done with the way that the Bose is set up in the car. So you set it all before you remove the old unit . The dash info does not work for the nav but every thing is on the unit with a nice big screen and as you are getting the car play from Apple on yours then this is the same as your iPhone which is so easy to use .
Would be more than happy to help if you need any more info .

I think you will find the link I posted above does the same thing as the nav tv module. The Nav tv stuff is expensive which was ok when they had the market to themselves but others such as connects2 have caught up.

Thanks for the response guys I am wondering how much difference there is between the NavTV (which seems to be the defualt choice) and the connect2 which is a 3rd of the price

Bottom line is you are trying to get a sound signal into the fibre optic system - which both will do.
I think you will have to accept that with any solution you will lose the info appearing on the instrument cluster - which I didn't think was any great loss vs the huge upsides.
Do you have a multi function steering wheel?
I seem to recall the nav tv steering wheel mod is extra - I phoned them when I was weighing up the options.
The connects2 one says this is included so even better value.
To be fair lots of people have used the nav tv module so we know it defo works.
I don't think I have seen a post from someone that has installed the connects2 interface - which means you could be the first..... :thumbs:

I dont have steering wheel controls so just want to connect the head unit to the amp / fibre but the price variance is significant.

Did you not have to change the speaker when you swapped the amp as I thought there was an issue with the Ohms the speaker ran at with a bose setup.

jonboy said:
I dont have steering wheel controls so just want to connect the head unit to the amp / fibre but the price variance is significant.

Did you not have to change the speaker when you swapped the amp as I thought there was an issue with the Ohms the speaker ran at with a bose setup.
Hi Jon, think I got my message wrong way round. As one previous poster mentioned, extra bits were £450 to connect head unit to Bose amp. Install was about £150 but the place supplied and fitted mine for me and you can't use the fader option but there is an option in the speaker setting on screen so that you can turn up/down loudness on all the speakers. Which in essence is the same. Took me ages to set it to my taste and it sounds great.

I like the dab radio as the clarity of sound is superior to the iPod and cd.
I find a lot of tracks on the iPod to boomy and distorts the speakers a bit, I guess it's the way some tracks are formatted for MP3.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back