Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What does the '!' button in the centre console do?

BenC

Hockenheim
Just don't understand what it does and my Bentley Manual still hasn't arrived so can't check in there yet.

What does it do? And should it have a bulb on all the time behind it? I presume not.....
imagejpg1_zpsf13eebff.jpg

Theres a large red warning light (on the oil instrument cluster), that comes on when petrol is low (or another warning).
The button extinguishes that warning light.

Boy did I panic when that red light came on, when I was bought my car. :lol:

BenC said:
Just don't understand what it does and my Bentley Manual still hasn't arrived so can't check in there yet.

What does it do? And should it have a bulb on all the time behind it? I presume not.....
imagejpg1_zpsf13eebff.jpg

It cancels the master warning light if it comes on in response to another warning light while driving...

As far as I know, it turns off the equivalent warning light in the dash (!) that comes on for any number of reasons (low fuel etc.)

The button is lit all the time - presume that's not right? I can't make it go off and nothing else is lit up, no warning lights etc
Would it come on for low oil?
Do you have to hold the button down to cancel it????

I also don't really understand the logic of being able to cancel a warning light - isn't the point of a warning light that it stays on until you rectify the issue?!

I think it may be constantly lit (can't really remember)... This is the one it cancels...

Attachments

• centrewarning_124.jpg
    centrewarning_124.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 8,474
It is one of my favourite buttons in the 993:) and an integral part of the eclectic functional beauty of the classic 911 interior.

The pull switch for the rear screen heater and the switch to advance the clock make up the rest of my top-three.

Then the pull knobs for the petrol filler flap and that in the door shut for the rear deck release are probably next in the list of 993-switchgear-wonderousness.

tim :thumb:

martinfc said:
I think it may be constantly lit (can't really remember)... This is the one it cancels...

Thanks Martin, fortunately that one does go out!

Tim - I have been putting it down to being an old Porsche perculiarity!

From memory the purpose of the large warning light in the dash is so you know that another smaller warnng light is on ie porsche belt and braces. You use the button to then turn it off ie once you are aware.

It is explained in the drivers handbook :wink:

Put like that it really is perfectly logical!

tim993 said:
It is one of my favourite buttons in the 993:) and an integral part of the eclectic functional beauty of the classic 911 interior.

The pull switch for the rear screen heater and the switch to advance the clock make up the rest of my top-three.

Then the pull knobs for the petrol filler flap and that in the door shut for the rear deck release are probably next in the list of 993-switchgear-wonderousness.

tim :thumb:

I completely know what you mean Tim!!! It's all those little things isn't it that make the complete picture.

I've come to the conclusion that the ! button shouldn't be lit all of the time, so that's something else to investigate when I fit the LEDs.
think it should be more like this (Thanks Tore)
consoleled_zpsde17089e.jpg

loving learning this new car - some very similar quirks to my '88 3.2 and other things that I just discover!

Ben. Does the '!' on the dash come on when you turn the ignition key to the first position before starting the car? and when you press the '!' button after starting does the red circle around the '!' on the button go out?

Now that my friend is the auto self destruct button, let me explain, if you've been cautious in your ownership and never been tempted by the devilishly good looking 18 inch wheels or indeed Bilstein suspension dampers then you've no need to worry, if however you've been tempted by the dark damper side, or even drawn into the shady dealings of low profile tyre pressures, then be afraid, very afraid, you'll need to pay close attention to that button long before you lose your fillings or indeed fail to make the first corner after leaving home.

Remember, Cup2's and Koni are your friend! :puh:

Hwah said:
Ben. Does the '!' on the dash come on when you turn the ignition key to the first position before starting the car? and when you press the '!' button after starting does the red circle around the '!' on the button go out?

the big ! on the dash comes on at the start of the key turn then goes off of it's own accord once the car is started and running.

that's what makes me think that the ! switch in the centre console may be stuck on all the time.....

makes no difference to the console button if I push it or not - it's always on and never goes off :(

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back