Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wish to buy my 930

Dave49

Over the past 2 days I have two separate requests by pm to purchase my 1989 930. The profile of the potential buyers indicates that they have just joined the site. Do you think these are genuine requests or some form of scam to get details of the car perhaps?
Has anyone got experience of requests by private message like this?
They say they are cash buyers.

By two different people???..That would be suspicious..
If its from the same person then if you are looking to sell get a landline number and give them a call and chat to them ..

You own one of the most desirable years and model of aircooled 911 ever built so I would not be surprised if their are people looking through archived posts to find that model of car.

Yep had the same one the other day. I gave them a price and funny enough not heard from them since. Of course it was a 'special price' given that I dont want to sell at this point in time :roll:

If they made the error of contacting a member of the 993 Illuminati then dont worry chum they will have cleared off, realising their chance of buying an air-cooled car at trade value on here disappearing like a puff of smoke :floor:

If you want to sell, sell it via the established websites etc.

As for landlines, that's no guarantee these days. I have a landline which is a SIP line and it's connected to an app on my iPhone. I'm in Germany right now but you could call my 01928 phone number and get me direct.

I got a PM this morning asking to buy my 993 ....... someone called Jason ...... aka "911 wanted" ...... here is the copy ........ needless to say I did not e-mail him or even reply to the PM ...... it stinks of scam.

Hi, ive just come across your porsche 993 on the 911uk forum and wondering if you would be interested in selling your vehicle,

I would be very keen on purchasing a 993, and i can assure you a hassle free cash sale.

Please drop me an email either way , so i can carry on searching

Kind regards

Jason

It looks like even Nigerian Prince's want an aircooled 911 now. :mrgreen:

Thanks for rapid response, even on Boxing Day!
My message was from "Jason" too with same wording except 930 substituted. I am not interested in selling at this moment in time anyway but I will ignore such messages.
Thanks for replies and happy new year to all!

If I was Jason I'd have left it until mid Jan when people are in the post Christmas blue phase where he and his Argonauts could bag a bargain :grin:

Some people don't like forums.

I had a PM enquiring about my car from someone that had joined minutes earlier with zero posts.
:-|

I almost dismissed it as a timewaster, or even a certain banned forum member who joins as a new member every now and then to send me and some others here a whole load of threats and insults by PM before being banned again.

I replied to the guy anyway...

Turns out he was 100% genuine. One of his Porsche owning mates had read a thread where I merely mentioned I would sell it, they told him, and he obviously had to join to be able to PM me.

Week later the car was sold, never even put it up for sale. And he has still yet to post on this forum. Some people just read. And to think I nearly ignored the PM!
:thumbs:

BTW, Obviously it was a forum member who tipped him off, I have no Idea who it was, but I am grateful.
:)

If I wanted to sell my car I would post on here that I'm interested in selling with some basic specs. Likewise if I really wanted a particular model I would PM anybody who had one to politely ask if they were thinking of selling. I certainly wouldn't dismiss any PM's out of hand.
When I wanted to buy a particular car earlier this year I joined the forum and put a post to say what I was looking for, then 4 months later when somebody mentioned they were thinking of selling I was on it within a few hours. I got first refusal and bought the car at the asking price. Afterwards the seller told me he had had 8 enquiries, one of which had agreed to buy the car if my purchase fell through. In the last 18 months not a single car of the spec I wanted has appeared in an advert, so sometimes if you know exactly what you want, using PM's and hanging around on a forum can be the best way.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I wanted to buy a particular car earlier this year I joined the forum and put a post to say what I was looking for, then 4 months later... I got first refusal and bought the car at the asking price... In the last 18 months not a single car of the spec I wanted has appeared in an advert.

Great bunch of guys on the Pink Automatic Beetle forum.
:thumbs:

I have a very suspicious nature ........ to me this is just another form of "cold calling" which I find exceedingly annoying and at least the boiler house scam merchants have finally got the message.

Nowhere have I mentioned that I am thinking of selling my car and if I were I would offer it up here on 911uk first.

I still think in this particular instance it is a scam.

This is exactly the reason why "full forum" features should not be available to new members. Eg set a minimum post count or period before classifieds and PM's can be used.

madalaa said:
I have a very suspicious nature ........ to me this is just another form of "cold calling" which I find exceedingly annoying and at least the boiler house scam merchants have finally got the message.

Are you Mr Carter by chance :?:

Dream911 said:
This is exactly the reason why "full forum" features should not be available to new members. Eg set a minimum post count or period before classifieds and PM's can be used.

I hear you...

...but I sold my car to someone that PM'd me within minutes of joining and who has never posted since.

Loads more people read than post on forums, look at threads and see hundreds of views and 20 posts, by about ten people. Look who is online and there are always guests, look at the membership and it's full of people that have been members for years who never post...

At my time of typing, right now:

In total there are 172 users online :: 24 Registered, 2 Hidden and 146 Guests

More people read than post. There are 32,000 members, take away those that have left, take away those that have never posted, take away those that have not posted in the last month, and you will find that this forum, like most car forums is actually a couple of hundred active users.

Take out the people who are new and do not have Porsches yet and you take out the buyers IMO, it's not their fault they have the same forum stats as the scammers.

:)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back