Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

AOS advice - inlet leaks

Grahaml

Silverstone
Hello again.

My 996 has been running for a couple of months since I had the engine out and in again. I've been having a little issue with (I think) an inlet or vacuum leak.

Nothing obvious and I had looked a few times but it's pretty packed in there and I coldn't find a thing.

Giving codes 1128 and 1130 - which I reset every so often and an erratic tickover - rising up to 1500 rpm at times. Not nice.

When I had the engine out I renewed all the inlet gaskets and fitted a new air oil separator (AOS).

Eventually going to bite the bullet and get it sorted. I had an offer from a local garage (Lotus main dealer) to do a smoke test - which had been suggested a while back too. However - no patience and prefer tp do things myself I made my own smoke machine from a disco fog machine (£40 in maplins)

Anyhow I ran it through the inlet system today and the only smoke I could see was (quite a lot) from the AOS. NOt from where the hoses go though but from another part - see photo.

I can't find any info - should it come out there or should that part be sealed?

The AOS was a pattern one (design 911) - is it faulty?

any experience anyone? Or ideas?

I'm part-way through taking the engine out again so I can see better - it is a really hard to get at part!!

Thanks
Graham

update:

I posted the same question on the US site rennlist.com

http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/849519-help-with-vacuum-leak-aos.html#post11892454

Got a reply to say that the area that is leaking should be sealed - should be a plug over the end. I can feel into the tube on my one (can't see that point (yet) and it feels hollow.

Either my AOS (brand new) is faulty or has failed. I will find out later today. I might even be able to simply seal it off myself.

Replacement due it looks like - I wonder if Design 911 will replace for me? Looks like a wee job (putting the engine back in) between Christmas and new year when I have a few days off work.

I was having a good browse of the web last night to see if I could find anything but no joy. Although it did look wrong that it would be emitting smoke from where it was.

I managed to get enough access - engine lowered a bit - to plug the opening with a plastic plug I had in the garage. Glued into place and reassemble everything.

Test run went well but I will give it a couple of days to be sure. Hopefully this is my car back running properly again!

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back