Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

massive loss of coolant while driving

declandio

Montreal
Hi there

Just drove from London to Ireland, no problems at all.

Went to pick up my brother from Dublin airport this morning and about 30 mins away from the airport I noticed some slight 'smoke' in the rear view mirror. Seemed to be concentrated on the passenger side. The roads were wet, I figured it was spray from the tyres.

It wasn't.

Arrived at the airport and there was lots of smoke coming from the engine bay (not from the exhausts) and plenty of coolant leaking onto the road.

Called a flat bed and had it taken 'home'. Now sitting outside and I have no idea what the problem might be.

Failed water pump perhaps?

The coolant was nice and clean, no sign of intermix etc.

Any insight would be gratefully received.

Addition problem is that I'm now in Ireland and I have no idea where to get the car taken to for repairs. Called the OPC in Dublin (which is about 50 miles away) but the service dept was closed for the day, they're calling me back on Monday.

Depressed :(

Sounds like a split/failed hose issue?

Water pump failure possible but if there was no associated noise than unlikely and it usually causes other issues due to it throwing the belt.

Chris_in_the_UK said:
Sounds like a split/failed hose issue?

Water pump failure possible but if there was no associated noise than unlikely and it usually causes other issues due to it throwing the belt.

I'll have a poke around in the daylight tomorrow and see if I can spot an obvious hose issue...

What kind of noise is associated with water pump failure?

No warning lights or anything like that, temp gauge was hovering around 85-90deg as it always does. Engine was running fine (as far as I know anyway; smooth, no stuttering etc etc) all the while this was going on...

It isn't a turbo is it?

MC

declandio said:

No warning lights or anything like that, temp gauge was hovering around 85-90deg as it always does. Engine was running fine (as far as I know anyway; smooth, no stuttering etc etc) all the while this was going on...

Sounds like split/loose pipe. If you haven't noticed a difference in noise with the engine, then it's prob. not water pump.

That's tough luck, especially when your so far from home.

In case it makes a difference to those who know better than I could you be specific about your model/engine. I believe the turbo and n/a cars are quite different.

Hoping it's just a small hose split.

No idea if they any good but you could try this indie if the opc cant fit you in

alex yates said:
declandio said:

Sounds like split/loose pipe. If you haven't noticed a difference in noise with the engine, then it's prob. not water pump.

I did actually notice a strange noise when I fired it up first thing in the morning but it went away after 2-3 seconds. A bit like a grinding noise, hard to explain. My gut tells me it may well be a failed pump but I'm no expert.

Found a chap called Alan in a place called Ballyclare up north, which is equidistant to the OPC in Dublin but he's bound to cost a lot less. He said bring it down... so I'll likely end up doing that on Monday

http://www.countryporsche.com/index.php/links

jonboy said:
No idea if they any good but you could try this indie if the opc cant fit you in

Which indie?

Just to add a bit more info- the drive home on the back of a flatbed was around 1 hour... and the bed had loads of coolant on it too, so it was leaking for ages after 'the incident'

Thanks all for chipping in too, it's not nice being so far from home with a broken car! :worship: :thumb:

kas750 said:
From what you describe I am thinking water pump..

Thanks... I'd be gutted if it was but it is what it is and I'll get it replaced if the chap I'm likely to take it to says that's what's needed. Reason id be gutted is because I had it at OPC 2 weeks ago and asked them to change it (going by the 'change it every 4 yrs or so 'rule'), but they said it was ok and that I shouldn't bother!

I would have a go myself but the only tools I have available here is the factory toolkit and some old random spaners... not to mention getting hold of the part over here!

May well end up having to leave it here, fly home after Xmas and then fly back to collect :( time will tell

Thanks again guys.

Could also be cracked coolant reservoir bottle - is the bottle a nice new white colour, or an old beige/browny tint?

Or the cap to the coolant reservoir, which has had its seal fail.

Both of these will result in white smoke from the passenger side.

youngsyr said:
Could also be cracked coolant reservoir bottle - is the bottle a nice new white colour, or an old beige/browny tint?

Or the cap to the coolant reservoir, which has had its seal fail.

Both of these will result in white smoke from the passenger side.

The reservoir looks somewhere between white and beige. Not old but not new either. I'll check the cap too. Last pair of hands to have the cap on/off was OPC 2 weeks ago when they completely renewed the coolant...

I noticed quite a bit of coolant on the underside of the boot lid, but more towards the middle rather than on one side in particular (eg on the cooling fan housing).

Could be wherever they drained the coolant from, they've not put it back right. Does seem a tad fishy that 2 weeks after they drain, refill and check the system that it starts leaking.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back