Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tip to reducing understeer for 997.1 turbo

IMI A

Paul Ricard
As most of you are aware 997 turbos generally understeer and it takes away from the driving experience. I basically lived with it for 8 years.

Recently I upped the width of the wheels to 8.75 x 19 and 12 x 19. Tyres also need to be wider so moved to 245 35 19 and 325 30 19 respectively.

My cars been lowered by -20mm with H&R lowering springs and GT2 anti roll bar at the rear.

The end result is no understeer.

Most of you probably already know this but for those that have not done this upgrade the end result is truly transformational. My car can now handle the odd track day no problem at all. I think the key to curing the problem are the wider front section tyre and rear GT2 anti roll bar :thumbs:

I think its probably a combination of both on the 997 turbo. 9e carried out a fast road geo and its also running some negative camber. For a heavy car it has no right to handle as well as it does now. Really threw the car at corners on track at ridiculous entry speeds and ABS would trigger occasionally but apart from that car was still very tidy and composed :thumb:

I have zero understeer in my car. I had wider wheels fitted on the front 9"x19" front but with same width tyres as before (235s) and lowered it and had geo done.

I've had H&R anti roll bars fitted but I haven't driven the car since.

When I bought my car at two years old, it had the standard OPC understeer geo' which I wasn't happy with.

A trip to Center Gravity and a chat with Chris with my requirements meant I left with a car that had no understeer and could be provoked to oversteer with the right foot.

Car is on standard wheels and suspension and is so much more alive than before.

If anyone would like my geo' settings, I'll post up the print out when I get home.

You can't beat Chris @ Centre Gravity

Martian said:
When I bought my car at two years old, it had the standard OPC understeer geo' which I wasn't happy with.

A trip to Center Gravity and a chat with Chris with my requirements meant I left with a car that had no understeer and could be provoked to oversteer with the right foot.

If anyone would like my geo' settings, I'll post up the print out when I get home.
:thumb:

Chris has set my car up twice and it was a huge improvement but not transformational. Only happens when you're driving at 9/10ths so on road you'll never notice the understeer unless you're driving like a lunatic

Martian said:

Though mine is a 996 Turbo, not a 7.1, this is pretty much the result I got too.

Though, as IMI has said, it will understeer if I am A; lazy with my inputs, expecting the car to sort it out (i.e. not weighting the front properly on corner entry), or B; on hard acceleration out of an unfolding corner. There, it just squats too much so pushes the front until I have a tiny release on the throttle to bring it back to heel.

But that is what I absolutely love about the 911, it is so adjustable to both input from the driver and tweaks to the set up. Fantastically sensitive cars, which is amazing considering the basic architecture, with the engine hanging out of the back. Incredible.

Martian said:
But TBH, I'm equally impressed by the geo' 'tune up' at PSR in Bishops Stortford.
This man speaketh the truth. Both Chris at CG and Paul at PSR are masters of their craft, and I used both on multiple occasions.

IMI A said:
As most of you are aware 997 turbos generally understeer and it takes away from the driving experience. I basically lived with it for 8 years.

Recently I upped the width of the wheels to 8.75 x 19 and 12 x 19. Tyres also need to be wider so moved to 245 35 19 and 325 30 19 respectively.

My cars been lowered by -20mm with H&R lowering springs and GT2 anti roll bar at the rear.

The end result is no understeer.

Most of you probably already know this but for those that have not done this upgrade the end result is truly transformational. My car can now handle the odd track day no problem at all. I think the key to curing the problem are the wider front section tyre and rear GT2 anti roll bar :thumbs:

Changing Tyre Sizes is one way but Tyre pressures will also play a factor.

Ultimately changes in the suspension Geometry setting aligned to Anti Roll Bar changes is what makes a difference.

Proof is in the pudding. It handled track duties with ease. I've had the car from new and in 8 years never bothered taking it on track until a few weeks ago as thought it would be average due to excessive weight. Its still too heavy for more than one or two track days a year but the changes to suspension, wheels and tyre set up really help it hide its weight well on track. If you look at these pics very little body roll for a 1585kg beast.

Attachments

• img_0379_146.jpg
    img_0379_146.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 4,935
  • img_3920_210.jpeg
    img_3920_210.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 4,935

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member