Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 SSK Upgrade?

ursicles

Been reading the various forums about putting the 997 short shift kit into the 996 and seems to be a very positive (and not hugely overpriced) upgrade.

Had anyone here done it?

Also - would it affect the value of my 996 turbo negatively - although i would go for an OPC kit here so its all OEM.

I have the OPC supplied 997 SSK fitted to my 996 X50 urbo. It is fantastic - rifle-bolt action gearchanges. My local indy only recommends the OPC part and not any after-market part - but I'm sure there will be plenty of satisfied users on this forum who have the (cheap) after-market part and swear it is every bit as good as the OPC part.

I have the original 996 shifter also in case if anyone wants to go back to standard as it left the factory.

Go for it. You'll not regret it. But make sure you have it fitted and aligned by a good indy who sets it all up correctly (if you are a DIY-er then maybe you can have a go yourself becasue the OPC part comes supplied with an alignment tool also).

I will tell you the OPC part with a 997 part number is over £200 compared to a cheap after market part off eBay around £65.

£200 isnt bad and prefer to go OPC as id feel 'safer'.

Will look into making that my first purchase of the new yr.... and maybe cruise control added at the same time.

Don't quote me on the final price, but I was trying to give you some scale and perspective on the OPC part versus a cheap after-market part. I had mine fitted in 2012 shortly after I purchased the car.

My indy supplied and fitted my 997 SSK and I have the 997 SSK part number and box it came supplied in that has all the OPC details.

Correct fitment is key. Some people remark they have notchy changes between 1st and 2nd and stiffness selecting 1st gear from cold. But in all honesty I have not experienced this. It may be down to my indy who did the fitting - he is excellent (Mike at Sports & Classic).

I have had both, the B&M cheap ebay version and also the 997SSK from Porsche. Do not buy the cheap version as they are not very well made. Mine lasted about 2000miles before I had to replace it with the 997SSK which is still fitted to my 996. Excellent piece of kit. Very easy to fit yourself. No need for any special tools just mark the cables before removal. Even if you forget to do this, re-aligning so that it is perfect only takes about 1min to adjust (do this before you rebuild the centre console). The Porsche part is around £300 form memory and the ebay one about £70.

NOTE: it is also worth changing the 2 cable end connectors at the same time. They are only about £20 from Porsche part numbers are as follows:

Good luck :thumb:

Don't quote me but someone said the cheaper versions can actually damage the gearbox??? just what i was told....it was a trusted indy garage and therefore i would say DO NOT fit the cheaper option or that would be my opinion

I have the 997 SSK and it is brilliant, super sharp gear change feel....

997 SSK is a fantastic upgrade for a 996, very happy with mine.

ELA said:
I have had both, the B&M cheap ebay version and also the 997SSK from Porsche. Do not buy the cheap version as they are not very well made. Mine lasted about 2000miles before I had to replace it with the 997SSK which is still fitted to my 996. Excellent piece of kit. Very easy to fit yourself. No need for any special tools just mark the cables before removal. Even if you forget to do this, re-aligning so that it is perfect only takes about 1min to adjust (do this before you rebuild the centre console). The Porsche part is around £300 form memory and the ebay one about £70.

NOTE: it is also worth changing the 2 cable end connectors at the same time. They are only about £20 from Porsche part numbers are as follows:

What's the benefit to changing the ends or is it just wear and tear?

cheshire911 said:
Correct fitment is key. Some people remark they have notchy changes between 1st and 2nd and stiffness selecting 1st gear from cold. But in all honesty I have not experienced this....

:?: none at all? When it is cold mine is hard to shift into 1st if the car is moving at all; 2nd plays a bit hard to get but works OK. Sometimes I need to stop to engage 1st, so there's a some awkward moments if I don't plan things right in advance :) After warmed up, it's superb in any gear!

chriscoates81 said:
ELA said:

What's the benefit to changing the ends or is it just wear and tear?

Exactly that my friend :thumb: 996's are getting on a bit now and for £20, while you are there, it would be rude not to.

Absolute nonsense.

FRP said:
Don't quote me but someone said the cheaper versions can actually damage the gearbox??? just what i was told....it was a trusted indy garage and therefore i would say DO NOT fit the cheaper option.

I have a factory SSK fitted on my Turbo and what you need to understand is that to reduce the movement you will increase the effort.

The original shifter is not that bad really in my opinion.

I had mine fitted by 9e the other month. An excellent difference in my opinion - a much quicker to implement and snickety gear change.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back