Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Uprated Y pipe

neil allan

Nurburgring
Looking for some advice regarding uprated y pipes for a 996 turbo.

My car already has uprated coolers and pipework from the air box to the turbos, I'm looking to fit a IPD plenum soon , this would leave the standard Y pipe in the air path but not sure if any gains/restrictions in this part.

The plan is to try and gain power and response from the K24's just now while putting the parts in place for hybrids and injectors at a later date.

I was looking at the Agency Power carbon Y pipe , but having an AP air box in the past and the fit/finish on it not being the best Im a bit wary of the brand.

getimagephp.jpeg

I have K24 hybrids, IPD plenum and TB and looking to fit GT28's soon, I wont be upgrading my Y pipe :D

Thanks Jonny guess there is no gains to be had then other than looks.

I have never seen a cross section of the standard part to be honest but looking at it ,the off side doesn't look like it would flow as smoothly as NS, mainly due to the F pipe take off.

10.jpg

If you are running small turbos you have no need but you will gain with any increase in Cfm.

Once over 40lbs of flow it becomes a major bottleneck.

997 turbo not as bad a situation because intake manifold design is the issue.

Material very important - wrong type can actually increase temps. What looks nice is not always the best solution. some materials are too light and therefore under higher pressures don't lend themselves to holding boost :nooo:

So on the likes of a 9e30 set up Ken would the money be better spent else where ?
Have you tried the above carbon pipes ?

neil allan said:
So on the likes of a 9e30 set up Ken would the money be better spent else where ?

Those turbos on the evt700 are small - unless you are running a 20g wheel or above in terms of flow it is not worth it financially to do a proper ypipe solution - not talking about fancy carbon direct bolt on replacement. Talking about running only a few inches to the turbos and getting rid of the restrictive intake.

The tb and plenum work and are proven - if you are not running one then you are missing out - it is that simple. I don't put in anything that does not improve performance.

So the answer from me is no. if Evoms chose not to fit something that is their choice just like I won't waste money fitting red silicone hoses that do nothing except increase intake temps and don't provide more boost.

JohnnyDangerous said:
ragpicker said:
JohnnyDangerous said:
I have K24 hybrids, IPD plenum and TB and looking to fit GT28's soon, I wont be upgrading my Y pipe :D

Oooooohhhhh! Controversial!!

I thought 'any Y-pipe solution provided gains'?? :?:

If I go bigger than GT28's I will think about a Y pipe change, heres EVOMS $24K 700 hp kit, no plenum, no TB no Y pipe

http://www.evoms.com/Porsche_996_signature_Turbo_GT700_Kit_Evoms_p/tun996xxxgt700.htm

Mate you don't need the y-pipe but get yourself the tb and plenum.

neil allan said:

Sorry Neil to answer your other question - carbon is the wring choice of material - as i know from spending 5k on development last year only to have to put it on the back burner because it is too light and causes too many boost leaks. Even when we put Kevlar in it as well it just keeps popping of the TB above 18psi. There is a reason why on standard Porsche and ours that it is heavy.

996ttalot said:
JohnnyDangerous said:
ragpicker said:
JohnnyDangerous said:

If I go bigger than GT28's I will think about a Y pipe change, heres EVOMS $24K 700 hp kit, no plenum, no TB no Y pipe

http://www.evoms.com/Porsche_996_signature_Turbo_GT700_Kit_Evoms_p/tun996xxxgt700.htm

I only said the Y pipe Ken, I have a TB and Plenum 8) I would have bought the IPD and TB had they not already been on the motor !!!! When its all finished with the GT28's Ill quite happily test a Y pipe on the dyno but I dont think it will be a restriction even on GT28's, however I do think a totally modded system from air box to turbos will alter the torque curve dramatically :thumbs:

We had the plenum argument on the MkIV Supra forum and a stock one will happily support 1000hp.

OK ive been to work and fired the dyno up, designed a new killer Y pipe got another 140hp !!!!!

JohnnyDangerous said:
996ttalot said:
JohnnyDangerous said:
ragpicker said:
JohnnyDangerous said:

I only said the Y pipe Ken, I have a TB and Plenum 8) I would have bought the IPD and TB had they not already been on the motor !!!! When its all finished with the GT28's Ill quite happily test a Y pipe on the dyno but I dont think it will be a restriction even on GT28's, however I do think a totally modded system from air box to turbos will alter the torque curve dramatically :thumbs:

We had the plenum argument on the MkIV Supra forum and a stock one will happily support 1000hp.

On an engine dyno, the plenum on its own does not show a gain. However, if you measure (which we have done) the flow, it shows quite a noticeable gain. On the road you can notice it.

On a 997.2 turbo they gain nearly 30hp - couldn't believe it till I saw the results.

GT28s will be excellent - quick spool is amazing!

Going to have to fit smaller springs in the WG's so we can ramp the boost in and avoid too much low down torque.

Do you like my Y pipe??? :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back