Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Huge Air-Cooled Prices/ Values. Why?

Kimbo

Paul Ricard
Why have prices for air-cooled Porsches gone through the roof in the last year?

My mate sold a 912 for £8,000 last year and it's now for sale at £22,000, nothing done to it.

Chinese buyers? Older Sunday Times readers who don't know where to put their money?

What happened, what's going on etc. Pricing the enthusiast out of the market.

Smoke n Mirrors chum :roll:

Most classic cars have risen as people are putting cash into them rather than get 0.5% savings interest. Stock market has fared no better as I set myself a target that when (if) the FTSE reaches 7000 once again I'm bailing out all my stock holdings which at this rate will probably coincide with my retirement :roll:

Now the stock market ....... that really is an area of smoke and mirrors ....... ;)

New996buyer said:

:?: Strangely enough this is used in the Foreword section of my 993 Valuation Guide to form some background where owners conjure up their prices:

subjects in three parts: "National Delusions", "Peculiar Follies", and "Philosophical Delusions"................include economic bubbles, alchemy, crusades, witch-hunts, prophecies, fortune-telling, magnetisers (influence of imagination in curing disease), shape of hair and beard (influence of politics and religion on), murder through poisoning, haunted houses, popular follies of great cities, popular admiration of great thieves, duels, and relics.

It's not all smoke and mirrors. Many people are buying these cars at huge prices now.

Whether it will continue is another matter. I hoped one day to sell the NB 993, replace it with a 911E, swap that for a 964, swap that for a hot rod Replica, go back to another 993, all without much (or any) money changing hands, like we could do a few years ago. Never going to happen now.

Kimbo said:
It's not all smoke and mirrors. Many people are buying these cars at huge prices now.

Whether it will continue is another matter. I hoped one day to sell the NB 993, replace it with a 911E, swap that for a 964, swap that for a hot rod Replica, go back to another 993, all without much (or any) money changing hands, like we could do a few years ago. Never going to happen now.

That is the sad thing, I conpleyely agree.

Thankfully we have the 996/997 series cars to play with for a couple of years till they go the same way :thumb:

The escalating prices will ultimately take the fun out of ownership for most.

We could play with 996 and 7, yes. Problem is, if you wanted to go back to a 993 after a year or so it maybe out of reach, especially if the 996 and 7 have depreciated.

And if you've had an engine go bang then the game's really up and suddenly you're back in a Golf.

All the air-cooled cars used to be worth roughly the same money, allowing swaps and p/ex's with little cash on top. I just don't get why the older cars have suddenly doubled/trebled in value. They're not even that good to drive, without suspension and engine mods.

kas750 said:

Or will ensure that cars which would otherwise have been scrapped or broken for parts will have money spent on them retaining the ownership potential for more.

People always seem to forget the most important factor, volume supply and demand. The later 911 where simply produced in much greater numbers so will be interesting to see how the market will view the run of the mill versions over the medium / long term :dont know:

jonttt said:
kas750 said:

Or will ensure that cars which would otherwise have been scrapped or broken for parts will have money spent on them retaining the ownership potential for more.

People always seem to forget the most important factor, volume supply and demand. The later 911 where simply produced in much greater numbers so will be interesting to see how the market will view the run of the mill versions over the medium / long term :dont know:

Given the larger market I think it's a no brainer as you're not comparing like with like.

New996buyer said:
jonttt said:
kas750 said:

Given the larger market I think it's a no brainer as you're not comparing like with like.

No doubt but it's a different type of market that they will appeal to IMHO. As I say will be interesting to see over time.

Kimbo said:
We could play with 996 and 7, yes. Problem is, if you wanted to go back to a 993 after a year or so it maybe out of reach, especially if the 996 and 7 have depreciated.

And if you've had an engine go bang then the game's really up and suddenly you're back in a Golf.

All the air-cooled cars used to be worth roughly the same money, allowing swaps and p/ex's with little cash on top. I just don't get why the older cars have suddenly doubled/trebled in value. They're not even that good to drive, without suspension and engine mods.

I think more will be spent on the usual consumables than engines, surely? And air cooled engines also went bang.

But I so get your point. Though let me add a positive twist. That and the perception that 6/7's will explode will help depress the 6/7 market values for a while yet. Surely that's not a bad thing? They're relatively cheap for a while AND great to drive :?:

Mind you RPM and others are already creating a new market for 'sorted' 996's. And I agree that the amber indicators now have a retro cool.....

I'm a fan of the 996, I think they're great to drive and I don't believe they all have engine issues. And I like positive twists :thumb:

996 C2 in blue with ambers, lowered and a sports exhaust. Could have a lot of fun in that. Maybe the way to go.

jonttt said:
kas750 said:

But wouldn't it be nice if you could still buy a wide body 993 for 25k?

Expensive enough to make sure it didn't fall into the wrong hands yet you would still be happy to use your car in all weathers?

When people are asking me 50k for a car with nearly 90k on the clock I find hard to imagine doing anything other than just looking at and polishing it,which kind of defeats the object for me..

Say your car is worth 20k more than you paid which on the face of it some would be pleased with but in real terms if for whatever reason you had to cash your car in how long would that 20k keep you going?...we just seem so hung up on values and I am just as guilty as anyone. :dont know:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back