Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car Audio minor upgrade question

Alex

Nordschleife
My good old Mum has asked me if I'd like anything in particular off Santa. Unfortunately a C4S or TT is out the question :dont know:

So, after some pondering, the only thing I can come up with is to upgrade the audio in my car.

Here's my terms:

Cost must be somewhere in the region of £40 to £80.
'Improvement' of sound is not critical but would prefer something slightly better than the standard 'tranny radio' performance.
Don't want to replace current CDR-22 head unit.
Can do the installation myself.
Would like to stick to the basic 4 speaker system.

So I was thinking either get a 4 channel power amplifier in the frunk or replace the original 4 speakers (or 2 and maybe replace the other 2 at a later date if budget's the issue).

Can anyone advise or has maybe done a similar thing and can comment on the gain?

I was originally going down the power amp route, but after reading a few posts, the speaker route seems like a better improvement.

For 40 - 80 nothing really, or nothing that would improve what you have now..

Just took out my rears and they're pretty p**s poor!

1418142341378_zpsc89cd109.jpg

I was thinking of getting something like 4 of these, only £20/PAIR.

pioneer_ts-g1022i.jpg

I connected the car speaker I removed yesterday to my hifi amp to see what the sound quality was like. :(

I now know what I need to do - replace the speakers!!

I can't believe that the standard units aren't even co-axial speakers but I suppose (apart from Kraftwerk & Boney M) Germans never did have a good ear for music.

they wont sound good connected to a house stereo, different ohms plus you are connecting it with no enclosure, the cone will probably flap around like mad, many years ago I used to do the odd install with headunits/amp/subs to friends cars, the difference just by putting a good quality head unit was huge, even with stock speakers, the 2nd best is the route you want to go down, replace stock speakers. Just make sure they are of a similar ohm and rms rating, should sound better for little outlay!

They are the same ohms and db as the originals.

I've made my choice now though. After reading various posts about how rubbish the stock ones are and an excellent replacement that improves the sound, I've gone for some Alpine SPG-10C2 speakers. a Set of 4 for £76 delivered.

productpic_SPG10C2_01.jpg

and a nice little video showing me how to do the install

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0LPyCoq5k8

Alex wrote
I can't believe that the standard units aren't even co-axial speakers

I wouldn't expect to see co-axial speakers in a good setup, so can't agree with your comment. They are a performance compromise. Top end systems like the Meridian system in my wife's car have separate units with separate drivers and the separate units deliver the best performance.

I do agree with Mr Gill though and you should hear some modest improvement.

Bluebird911 said:
Alex wrote
I can't believe that the standard units aren't even co-axial speakers

I wouldn't expect to see co-axial speakers in a good setup, so can't agree with your comment. They are a performance compromise. Top end systems like the Meridian system in my wife's car have separate units with separate drivers and the separate units deliver the best performance.

I do agree with Mr Gill though and you should hear some modest improvement.

No neither would I.
I'd also expect to see separate woofers and tweeters.
But this set-up doesn't even have that, just plain old woofers.

I've seen enough comments on both this forum and the internet to convince myself the Alpine co-ax's will be better than the standard woofers & also within my £80 budget.

alex yates said:
I can't believe that the standard units aren't even co-axial speakers but I suppose (apart from Kraftwerk & Boney M) Germans never did have a good ear for music.

Aren't the factory fit ones components? I thought there was a tweeter and a mid range installed behind each of the dash/rear grilles?

Mine just look like this in the rear

20141209_161058_zpstlmqjhyg.jpg

Dunno, I haven't whipped them out yet. But if you google the part number all the American sites show it as the one in the dash on the exploded view.

They probably fit tweeters on the upgrade package.

alex yates said:
Dunno, I haven't whipped them out yet. But if you google the part number all the American sites show it as the one in the dash on the exploded view.

They probably fit tweeters on the upgrade package.

I'm pretty sure there are tweeters, at least in the dash, as per the pic in the link below. They use a little resistor instead of a proper crossover so you have to do a bit of a wiring job if youre going to fit proper components... but obv decent co-ax ones will still be a major improvement!

I have some lovely speakers that I still need to remove from my old car... gutted they're too big to install in a 996 dash/rear (6" Morel components in the doors and 5.25" Focal mids that were in the rear; when powered from a decent amp, there was no need for a sub, I don't want rude boy stuff, just nice clear quality sound). Am thinking about getting door panels from a car that had door speakers in order to do this.... eventually! In the meantime I plan on doing what you're doing- put some half decent speakers in the dash and it should be a massive improvement over the old cardboard crap that's currently fitted.

http://www.jmgshop.com/9xx---porsche-996-rear-speaker-upgrade-kit-with-alpine-speakers-314-p.asp

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/235273-4-2-way-vs-component-dash-speakers.html

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/37107-help-speakers-for-1999-996/

This is a nice option- but not particularly cheap...

http://cai-store.com/collections/99...dash-speaker-upgrade-kit-for-98-05-996-models

I'll ping the dash ones out tomorrow and see. I'd seen the fitting kits but not spending that amount when I can do a DIY job on it. I could buy a decent double din HU for what those kits cost.

I really am in 2 minds whether at some point to ditch the CDR-22 and get something more modern and practical but I'm really not keen on after-market HUs as they always look out of place to the rest of the dash, plus I want to keep the car as near to it's original condition as possible.

alex yates said:
I'll ping the dash ones out tomorrow and see. I'd seen the fitting kits but not spending that amount when I can do a DIY job on it. I could buy a decent double din HU for what those kits cost.

I really am in 2 minds whether at some point to ditch the CDR-22 and get something more modern and practical but I'm really not keen on after-market HUs as they always look out of place to the rest of the dash, plus I want to keep the car as near to it's original condition as possible.

I know what you mean. I think I'll keep the standard head unit too (mines a CR-22, tape deck! but with the 6disc changer). The sound quality of the Becker is actually pretty good (was a quality brand), it's just let down by the crappy speakers.

The car I mentioned previously that I need to deinstall the hifi has an Alpine INA-N333rs (single din sat-nav), I might consider using that eventually. It should blend in nicely... although I've also been window shopping on ebay at these; (which would keep the 'stock' look but add a bit more functionality

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281484744477?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121496297796?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This chap always seems to have a nice selection of 'better' (ie with bluetooth hands free, sat-nav etc) Beckers that will blend right in and be a plug & play install;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/robmarrs?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2754

Speakers definitely more important than head unit at this stage!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back