Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Arm in a sling (soon) - what are my options?

DerbyJim

Imola
Hello all,

I'm in a not-so-slight dilemma that I thought I'd share to get some feedback and just in case there are some avenues that I may not have considered.

I bought a very nice C4S after the best part of 6-8 months looking. I wanted a one owner model with Bose and PSE options as minimum, plus having driven the button PDK version, I knew that it just had to be manual.

The car is simply everything that I dreamed of, and more! Every drive has been superb and the Porsche meets have been great.

Since buying it I've hurt my left arm. Not sure how I've done it - I've come off my push bike, I've had kids hanging off me on a regular basis - who knows, maybe I'm just getting older. Anyhow, turns out it's a tendon problem and I've been offered a choice:

- Operate now and spend AT LEAST six months in a sling
- Leave it and see if it gets worse then operate.

I've chosen the latter, for now, but realising that I'm just biding my time....

So, back to the Porsche bit... The way I see my options now are:

1. Sell the car and get another one when better
2. Swap the car with a trusted friend (I'm way more OCD so don't think that's an option as I'd be worrying about 'my car')
3. Sell and get a PDK
4. Have the Op during the winter and garage it

A couple of bits that I probably should mention:

- I need to drive, unless I move house in the next six months I'm screwed! I've got a 6 yr old and the bus / transport links are just a no go. I don't really want comments such as "you shouldn't be driving", if I really thought I had a choice then I wouldn't but not sure I really do.

- I've booked a Monaco GP / driving holiday next May with a couple of 911 fanatics. I'd like to be sans sling when I do that if possible.

- I've got a 4x4 auto as a back-up / bike carrier so could use that

Any thoughts or areas that I should be considering?

Also, does anyone know the legalities of driving with an arm in a sling, and can back this up? The t'internet seems to be fairly mixed when it comes to this subject. Do I need to inform my Insurance?

Thanks for taking the time to read and for any advice offered.

Jim

With your arm in a sling you will be basically "disabled" and I would imagine that if your car has not been specially adapted as such then I am pretty sure it would be illegal to drive with your arm in a sling ...... I could be wrong but that's the way I see it.

Anyway good luck Jim and I hope you get you rarm sorted ASAP ........ :)

You will have to inform your Insurance if you decide to drive, which by the sounds of it you need to drive and there are a set list of ailments that the DVLA are to be informed about IIRC.

My personal thoughts would be to get the Op done through winter and store the car, buy a small auto to get you about until you are fully fit again. If you keep the C4S, you will have something to look forward to when better.

I had something similar, depending what tendon issue you have, my forearm was getting painful if I lay it on a desk or similar so went to the Docs who sent me to hospital for tests, this took about two months and I was told they would need to operate on my wrist putting me out of action for a while. By the time my third appointment had come (for the electric shock treatment) around about 3 months after getting it, it had cured itself but they still wanted to go through with the surgery, I told them I'm fine and now it only comes back once in a while for a day or so and this was a few years ago now.

You need your Doctor to give you a letter saying that you are ok to drive(even if he/she says they would not recommend it) they cannot stop you unless they say its a complete no no.

You then need to speak with your insurers and explain its only a sling and you can control the car safely(they may ask you to fit the wheel ball/hand control)

You do not need to inform DVLA unless your arm is broken/completely useless.

If it was me I'd just take the sling off for driving short distance as you ain't doing much with it......then get someone else to drive you longer distances.

Hope it clears up and no need for such an op(as they ain't always a success).

I have just had a rotator cuff repair on my left shoulder.

First three weeks post op arm in sling with limited exercise to avoid freezing shoulder - difficult to put socks on! but can't do washing up

then 4 - 6/8 weeks slowly building up strength and mobility of shoulder

at 8 weeks should be OK to drive

then swimming etc exercise from 4 months.

If you have tendon/muscle damage, try first to get steroid injection into bursar which may alleviate discomfort by reducing inflamation but if you have a tear is unlikely to mend without surgery.

Good luck.

People drive with one arm, so maybe just tell your Insurance. Your car sounds like a peach, so my suggestion is : garage the car, buy an old 4X4 (auto) and use it through the winter. When your arm is better, sell the truck.

If you get a small auto over winter don't forget to get one of those big knobs you clamp on the steering wheel :thumb:

Use the other hand............its like somebody else.....erm 'driving' :thumbs:

If it is your dream car: keep it with a charger in a garage.

Check with your Surgeon how immobile your arm needs to be? .
Get it fixed, it shoud be your priority IMHO.

A second opinion from another surgeon is always an option :?:

Hope it all goes well.

Thanks guys, some definite food for thought here...

I've been continuing some of own research today and can't think why I needed to go anywhere else when the DVLA website is so informative!

https://www.gov.uk/broken-limbs-driving :?: :eek:

If you have tendon/muscle damage, try first to get steroid injection into bursar which may alleviate discomfort by reducing inflamation but if you have a tear is unlikely to mend without surgery.
Yes Porky, they mentioned a sub acromial decompression and some supra spinatus stuff. Wasn't sure whether to be turned on or be very, very afraid... :?:

Did you have a manual at the time and was it difficult / painful to change gears? If so, how long did that last? I've been told six to twelve months in the sling; 8 weeks (as you mention) would be a no brainer for me and I would even get the op next week if that was the case! THIS is the key point for me on whether I move to the PDK now or not at all, at the moment it seems sensible to do so.

You need your Doctor to give you a letter saying that you are ok to drive(even if he/she says they would not recommend it) they cannot stop you unless they say its a complete no no.
Good point on the doc's note Wizard. Think I will ask what the chances of him saying yes are before the op. DVLA say you don't need to inform them of broken limbs though which I find strange.

Others messages - I have another auto to use, my X5, bit heavy with parking one handed (I've been practicing) but it'll carry my daughter's bike no problem.

Will go back to the surgeon this week, and a second opinion, and I'll keep you posted on the outcomes.

Cheers

Jim

My injury was caused by driving on track days - office work = weaker (and older) muscles. I am retired so op timing discretionary. I also have had iffy left knee for years and so my cars are all autos, but I drive wife's and manual hire cars when I occasionally need to.

I am back tomorrow for my 3 week physio and the stitches and dressings get removed in a couple of weeks.

On the medical stuff, see this site

http://www.exetershoulder.com

and on post op, see this (various conditions for drilling down for more detail)

http://www.exetershoulder.com/page/rehabilitation/

That link is very useful, thanks!

BUPA should really supply something like that as further reading material....

Hope you get mended pretty soon too. What are driving out of interest?

981 Cayman S PDK (the white one!) + auto Merc.

Before that I had a 997 cab for 3 years, another white one..

Both at Silverstone with other 911uk folks

Attachments

• cimg1884ss_115.jpg
    cimg1884ss_115.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 6,762
  • silverstone_131111_2s_792.jpg
    silverstone_131111_2s_792.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 6,762
Final option - if you are still in discomfort (but not actually impaired) for your proposed roadtrip, you could probably pick up a tiptronic 986 Boxster (not too quick, but a they are nice to drive) for around £4k, then use it and sell it on afterwards for much the same money rather then looking to get out of your 911. :?:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back