Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Starter motor wiring / T14 pin-out - Any help appreciated

TR.

Hello,

Apologies for this being my first post, but my head is hurting searching for info so I was hoping there would be someone around here who wouldn't mind clearing a few things up.

To cut a long story short, I'm having a few problems and I'm not sharp enough to figure them out :oops:

Firstly, can anyone tell me the right order for the starter motor wiring? I'm assuming the starter motor grounds through the mounting studs, and then the red cable with the ring terminal attaches to the main pole, but which of the two male spades on the starter motor do the yellow wires attach to?

Secondly, aside from the ground cable from the driver's side engine mount's 13mm mounting bolt (in the closest right hand corner of the engine bay), there is also another thick black wire coming from the chassis underneath the car on the driver's side which I can't figure out where it's trying to reach. Any ideas? It has a kind of U shaped kink which naturally puts the end of the cable towards the starter motor, but I can't see where it would attach or why?

And finally, just as a precaution is there a pin-out for the 14-pin plug in the engine bay? I think the wiring diagram refers to it as T14, and it is the main engine wiring harness. It would appear as though someone has messed with it, so I'd just like to check the pins are where they are supposed to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure this is all nice and easy to seasoned Porsche folk, but I'm pretty clueless at present.

Many thanks :thumb:

*edit - The car is a 1976 911S with it's original or direct replacement 2.7 / ancillaries as far as I'm aware, nothing looks out of the ordinary.

So as I'm sure many of you who read this may have predicted, I traced the thick black wire in question, and after a little poke with the multi meter it turned out to be - in retrospect, obviously - the main live from the battery for the starter.

I'm ashamed to admit the colour of the insulation threw me, as it is red at the battery end and black where it emerges beneath the car, presumably as a thicker layer of protection from the elements or chafing. I suppose I should have looked properly instead of just panicking :oops:

I would still MASSIVELY appreciate a pin-out of the 14-Pin engine harness plug - or even a picture of the plug with the little black plastic clip-off backing removed so I could see the wire colours / positions if anyone would be kind enough when they have a spare moment? Please don't make me beg :D

This is the plug in question. Also, next to it is the fuse holder, in which the two fuses present have popped, but I am puzzled why there isn't a wire going into one side of the top space (arrowed) but the other side has a red wire going in... surely that means the wire terminates there for no reason?

14Pin911_zpsae3b86e6.jpg

And finally as the icing on the cake... I've just replaced all the gaskets for bolt on parts / covers / etc and upon filling it back up, there is a leak... I felt like having a little cry at this stage, I won't lie :nooo:

It looks as though it's coming from around here, but of course it may well be higher but I cannot get a visual on anything further up, from below or above. It's only on the driver's side it would appear.

OilyStuff4_zpsf08801b0.jpg

And it runs down around the engine casing and eventually drips off this stud, it's probably lost 200ml in 24 hours, so it is in no way acceptable.

OilyStuff5_zps2a485875.jpg

OilyStuff3_zps2a99ce91.jpg

As before, any help will be greatly appreciated and I really mean that, I am out of my depth here as I don't know the cars well enough (yet) and unfortunately I just don't have the option of farming it out to someone else. Plus I'd quite like to understand things a little better myself rather than just being told it's fixed and handed the bill.

Thanks again, have a good one folks :thumb:

I`m presuming that you have the wiring diagrams for your car ?

I don`t have a pinout drawing of T14 plug but I do have electrical diagrams and workshop manuals for virtually every 911 ever built, you could find the pin numbers/colours from them.

If you would like the drawings, drop me a pm with your email and I`ll send them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back