Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Charging - what voltage at the battery?

d2000

Hi all,
What voltage should i get across the battery with the engine running?!

Car has been sluggish when starting for a while, but let me down this evening and needed a jump start. I'm trying to determine if it's just time for a new battery, or something more sinister - have only had the car a couple of months so don't know how old the existing one is, but as its a Bosch S4 on an 05 C2S so i'd guess it's not that old.

I'm getting 13v at the battery when the engine's running - and it stays pretty constant when revved - so think the Voltage Regulator is still good ...but from other cars I've worked on, i'd have expected more like 14v - so wondering what the norm is?!

Many thanks

With a battery that is in any way discharged (e.g. just after starting) you should be getting @14v.
As the battery becomes more charged the voltage will drop to around 13v so I would suspect that the voltage regulator on your alternator is not working if you are seeing a constant 13v

Mine's an 06 and it's had two replacement batteries and I suspect it needs another one. At start up the alternator makes 14v at the battery. Altenator was new this summer.

Nick

Thanks both -
have ordered a new (bigger) battery ....mainly because it's the easiest thing to change! - but realistically it sounds like the alternator needs some attention.

I want to try and get the voltmeter onto the back of the alternator and check that i'm not getting a voltage drop in the wiring to the battery ...but could do with smaller hands - there's not much space in there! - will give it another go tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's only 13ishV there too and it's only a new VR that i need

Cheers Dave

d2000 said:
Hi all,

Car has been sluggish when starting for a while, but let me down this evening and needed a jump start. I'm trying to determine if it's just time for a new battery, or something more sinister - have only had the car a couple of months so don't know how old the existing one is, but as its a Bosch S4 on an 05 C2S so i'd guess it's not that old.

I'm getting 13v at the battery when the engine's running - and it stays pretty constant when revved - so think the Voltage Regulator is still good ...but from other cars I've worked on, i'd have expected more like 14v - so wondering what the norm is?!

Many thanks

Dave, you'll see more than one thread about batteries going off in 996/997 and possibly probably older. It's not unusual for this phenomenon to appear in cars which don't do a lot of mileage, cars which have alarm systems, trackers drawing down current. For example in winter driving conditions (lights and wipers) I can run my battery down gradually on a 3 miles each way three days a week pattern especially if I don't give him a decent run weekly. I now remember that I could do the same with the MGF.
So, even with a new alternator and battery and a 14 volt charge on the dial, the engine's not running for long enough to replace the charge which is used.

d2000 said:
Hi all,

Many thanks

Dave, you'll see more than one thread about batteries going off in 996/997 and possibly probably older. It's not unusual for this phenomenon to appear in cars which don't do a lot of mileage, cars which have alarm systems, trackers drawing down current. For example in winter driving conditions (lights and wipers) I can run my battery down gradually on a 3 miles each way three days a week pattern especially if I don't give him a decent run weekly. I now remember that I could do the same with the MGF.
So, even with a new alternator and battery and a 14 volt charge on the dial, the engine's not running for long enough to replace the charge which is used.

My previous gen 1 measured around 14v when charging too, and from memory went down to about 9.5v (?) when cranking over.

Also worth mentioning the main battery/alternator/starter motor lead. I changed mine due to poor HOT starting (high resistance in the cables), which is often confused with battery not charging. Doesn;t sound like it in your case though, but thought it was worth mentioning.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back