Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

One month in - PDK behaviour queries

GP41

Nurburgring
I'm not far off a month into ownership now and enjoying my recent acquisition - my 997.2 C4 coupe. :)

The only thing that I have any reservation about is the way PDK behaves. It doesn't seem quite how it did in test drives and early drives but I realise that could just be me changing and becoming more aware, not the car.

I talked to the sales guy about Sport upgrade and he felt that once I learned how to use the PDK box I wouldn't need it. He showed me little tricks like how you can blip the throttle to change down a gear or two.

So some questions:
- when you accelerate do you ever get a sensation a bit like a slipping clutch (or is that just the nature of the smooth changes and how they sound)? I do wonder whether the sound gives you a sense that power delivery isn't as instantaneous as it actually is?
- if you blip the throttle for a change down (I think the bigger the blip the more downshifts you get - and I'm not talking about kickdown here) sometimes it works really smoothly and sometimes it just feels like you pressed the accelerator so it revs more and jumps forward a bit - as you'd expect with a traditional transmission or in M.
- in the drivers' manual it makes reference to responding to your driving behaviour - is that instantaneous or over a period of time?

Part of me just thinks I need to get to know this clever piece of kit and perhaps not expect so much magic, but part of me has read about resetting the mappings and topping up the gearbox oil and other typical scary Internet forum threads.

How have other people found their PDK - was it what you expected? Have you learned any neat tricks?

I can identify with some of your observations. I tend to drive my PDK in auto mode most of the time due to traffic and you do get the feeling that when you push the pedal there is a bit of a roar (induction?) and not much seems to happen straightway, unless you make it kick-down.
In normal mode the PDK changes up gears quickly for fuel economy hence you are often in 7th at 50mph, I have got used to dropping down a gear or two/three using the gear change buttons/paddles on the steering wheel, it goes back into auto mode after about 10 secs.
However in 'sport' auto mode like many cars with this feature it is whole different animal the throttle response in sharper, it holds gears longer, the changes are quicker plus the suspension on PASM cars is firmer - oh yes the fuel economy drops but hey who cares about that!
I think much of this you get used to, a bit like the brakes not being so over servo'd as they are in many modern cars, you have to press them firmly for the desired response.
Another thing I have noticed I use the digital MPH display it's easier to read that the speedo, I guess most people do but I find it takes time to catch up under brisk acceleration it might read say 50mph you take your foot off and look down to see it now reads 55mph.
Yes PDK does respond to driver input, if you cane it for even a few hundred metres it thinks you want to play, so it will hold lower gears for while, it will return to normal mode after about 10-20 seconds if you don't keep pushing on.
Stick with it, it is a smart piece of kit that takes time to learn. It isn't a traditional automatic, try reversing uphill into a tight parking space that will be a new experience.

Reading all this, I'm so glad I have a manual 911. It never thinks it knows best, it just does what I ask it to do. My brother loves auto's and he says you have to learn to drive the gearbox. Surely, the heart of a car is it's engine,so THAT should be the most important thing.Having to fight with a gearbox is like having an interfering mother in law around all the time, telling you she knows best. To balance my comments, I have just ordered an auto boxed daily driver, as I spend half my life on the M25 and surrounding parts of the south east, I hope I'm not going to want to set fire to the thing inside a fortnight. :D

I've used a few PDKs and was impressed especially in sport plus mode and manual mode but was absolutely leathering the cars around silverstone. We've just bought a new Polo 1.2 SE with DSG for nipping in and out of town and local journeys and its fabulous for normal driving. In stop start traffic I find it a bit clumsy and think a straight auto box would have been far more refined for a Polo. Coming off the brakes for stop start and waiting for gear to select can be frustrating and jerky especially if you get on the power too quickly and you feel that clutch slipping sensation. Be interesting to see how reliable PDK is.

Erm...or you could just switch to manual mode and choose the gear changes yourself :?

If you slush around for an hour or so in traffic then it's perfectly reasonable to expect the PDK brain to politely overlook a wild stab at the throttle like the vicar would a misjudged air-biscuit while enjoying tea and scones at the rectory :oops:

Give a few more clear signals of intent and it will soon catch on, but far quicker and satisfactory routes to the action include switching to sports (plus) mode or flapping the paddles.

The PDK box is awesome, not telepathic... :roll:

Thanks all - I hope I don't start a "manuals are best" discussion - far from my intention.

Chimp911 - I suspect you're right. It's probably partly just about confidence and just getting on with it. I do find the steering wheel controls most fun but I've only really used to override, not in M so much yet.

If I'd not just put my deposit down on my winter wheel and tyre set I might have asked Santa for a sport upgrade. Looks like I'll have to wait for the Porsche January sales (if only...)

Nothing to be ashamed of - it took me over 2 years before I started regularly changing the gears myself, and this is still normally only on very spirited drives and when I go on the European tours with a few of the other 911uk boys.

The box normally does such a good job without me, especially when I give it some encouragement by switching to sport or sport plus modes, that for a very long time I just didn't feel the need to take over. As my confidence grew I started to prefer changing the gears myself as in auto mode it can be a little reluctant to drop into 1st gear on tight hairpins, a bit too eager to stay in the upper rev range when you are held up in traffic after being on it, or slightly sluggish to respond when you finally get an opening to overtake after a long wait. Of course, switching between modes will address these minor issues, but it's far simpler to just change the gears manually...

Overall using the buttons/paddles does offer a greater sense of driver involvement/control that you can really appreciate once you are comfortable with the simply outrageous performance on tap...:grin:

Don't let the dealer fob you off - go for the SPORT PLUS upgrade - an absolute must to exploit the engine/PDK combination. :D :D

Hmmm, Sport mode does sound like it might be worth considering again - I did test drive one with it and definitely responded very crisply.

As for your last point Chimp911, I couldn't agree more. When you do get it just right it's like being strapped into a rocket :thumb:

I think you have to be pretty committed with the pedal to have it drop down a few gears. Even if you ease back straight away, it's the initial fast prod that causes the down change.

Bends, hills and braking all affect gearbox behaviour. A good stamp on the brakes will have it dropping gears and blipping the revs.

The frustrating thing is the apparent lack of consistency. It's probably me but if you're in 6th and blip the throttle you might find yourself in 3rd or 4th where you want to be, or suddenly screaming in 2nd where you weren't expecting to be. In a manual you'd know which gear because you put yourself there. Arguably, the more in tune with the car you become, the more likely you are to blip yourself into the right gear (potentially even more so than a manual).

There's also the strange sense that it's put you in second but it's not really ready to deliver?

Sounds like I need to play a bit more (which means more very long trips out for a pint of milk :lol: )

chimp911 said:
Erm...or you could just switch to manual mode and choose the gear changes yourself :?

If you slush around for an hour or so in traffic then it's perfectly reasonable to expect the PDK brain to politely overlook a wild stab at the throttle like the vicar would a misjudged air-biscuit while enjoying tea and scones at the rectory :oops:

Give a few more clear signals of intent and it will soon catch on, but far quicker and satisfactory routes to the action include switching to sports (plus) mode or flapping the paddles.

The PDK box is awesome, not telepathic... :roll:

:thumb: :thumb: :floor:

I go along with Chimp with his definition here......
I have the same beast as he has .....

I find that the best option is to flick into manual on the paddles then it's game on ......
The Auto is great for easy town or traffic driving , manual mode is great And MUCH quicker than a manual shift ....
Much more usable in the majority of situations........
I had GT3 's prior to this Turbo S (PDK) and to be honest I haven't missed the gear change at all!!
The PDK gearbox essentially has allowed me to enjoy my car more in many ways !!

It is a case of learning all the possibly unknown little tricks that the PDK box has but that's another dimension to the fun of the Porsche ...isn't it?

'Sport Plus' is Awesome............
'Launch Control' .......I must try that sometime ......! Being an engineer, I have a great deal of mechanical sympathy for the component parts of the car ,and I can't bring myself to repeat this after the initial test drive .... It just feels Brutal!! Sport plus acceleration is quick enough for me !!

Enjoy the PDK ..its a technical marvel...!

Terry

You're teasing now - do you want to share any of these unknown little tricks :) ?

Shnooo shnooo - if you are in auto, you literally blip the accelerator pedal and it doesn't launch you forward, it's smarter than that, it drops you down a gear - or three depending how hard you blip - and away you go :D it's like kickdown but different... I think actually you are just fooling it into thinking you are flooring it but you then actual floor it as a separate action - probably doesn't make sense unless you've got one and try it...

Time for me to search the archives for sport mode upgrades - I recall it's one of those expensive upgrades that takes them 10 minutes on PIWIS and a small piece of plastic fascia. I can see my daughter getting a tangerine and a lolly for Christmas this year :sad:

From memory, about £520 at OPC for C4S.

Well worth it for the fist-in-the-back, hyper-ballistic leap forwards when the accelerator pedal is floored!!! :lol: :lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back