Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C2S/4S to TT to C2S/C4S

OK, hypothetically, if the Turbo was the same market price as the 2S/4S, how may current S owners would change to the Turbo?

Also, of those 993 owners (all models) who have moved to Turbo or indeed the other way, do they miss any particular attribute of either type? :popcorn:

I know you aimed this at lardy S's, but thought i'd respond anyway.... Bought my C4 nb 11 years ago, and yearned for a turbo, and sort of intended to move up to one after a few years. Trouble is... the purity and simplicity of my little nb just grew on me more and more, and I couldn't really bring myself to let her go, or see what advantages I'd get with a tt (other than rocket acceleration, and bigger bills) and of course now a mega profit!

So I'm keeping my c4!

Will Statt said:
the purity and simplicity of my little nb just grew on me more and more . . .
+1
Although for purity, I would always go for a C2 NB, after all wasn't the RS based on a C2 NB . . . that should say it all!

For some reason it's always been an S I wanted. Back when I got my first S I could have stretched to a turbo. I just decided not to.

Since then I've not found myself wanting for one. Mind you I've never driven one. Maybe my view would change if I did :grin:

The spoiler free widebody car is the best looking 993 to my eye. That said a turbo in arena with black skins is a very special car.

Damn maybe I do want one.

I owned a C4S first of all, for a year. Then a Turbo for seven years. And back to another C4S now.

What the S lacks in acceleration over the Turbo (and it lacks a lot), it more than makes up for in sound, particularly with Motorsound Airbox and RSRE.

I'm in the camp that prefers the look of the widebody models and I like the spec of 4S in particular.

For the moment at least, I am not missing the Turbo. Would I swap if they were the same price? Hmm, maybe. Not sure - I would really miss the NA sound which is always present vs the small proportion of time where you can fully experience the extra grunt of the Turbo.

I can't decide...:)

HPNer said:
Will Statt said:
+1
Although for purity, I would always go for a C2 NB, after all wasn't the RS based on a C2 NB . . . that should say it all!

For even more purity you can go for a 964... I guess it depends on everyone's definition of "pure"

Patronus said:
HPNer said:
Will Statt said:
+1

For even more purity you can go for a 964... I guess it depends on everyone's definition of "pure"
My definition of purity for 911 is RWD. WB adds some favor which makes the car looks better (to my eyes) and more special. So for my first air-cool, I have opted for 993C2S. So far, I have not consider C4S or Turbo. 964C2 would be nice too but I just can't afford two at the same time. And those RSs are too far fetch for me. So 993C2S it is :thumb:

Patronus said:
HPNer said:
Will Statt said:
+1

A fair point, with which I would not disagree. Whilst I think the 993 is on balance the finest mainstream car that Porsche has ever made, I would actually prefer a 911SC for purity, they could be tricky though. I had two of them back in the day and I really thought they were magical.
Although, I did sit in the passenger seat of mine whilst I let my best friend have a spin . . . literally, by the third corner we were heading backwards. Thankfully no damage. He has had a couple of Porsche's since . . . but no 911s. :grin:

Patronus said:
HPNer said:
Will Statt said:
+1

Well, I realise that, and would actually love an earlier 911... an sc maybe, but it prob wouldn't be as useable as the 993 (not that I use this one enough)
As for 4 v 2.... I originally was looking for c2 manual nb, but couldn't find the right one, and then this c4 came up and was such a gem it was too good to miss. In 99% of 'normal' use, I don't think the majority of drivers could tell whether they were in a c4 or c2, so that doesn't bother me. I just like the simple shape of the nb as it does at least hark back to those early cars I think.

anyway... so not to drift off topic.... i'd buy a tt if I won the lottery, but it would be to keep with my little gem of a c4 rather than replace it!

would actually love an earlier 911... an sc maybe, but it prob wouldn't be as useable as the 993
A sorted early 911 is every bit as useable as a brand new car, in some cases more useable because they're small and easier to park. Only difference is that we got used to creature comforts that we now can't live without. A few years ago I got rid of my brand new 3-series company car and bought myself a nice little SC which for quite a while was our only car (and yes we have a child). I drove it daily from Didcot to Tewkesbury and back, as hard as I possibly could (which is very hard) because I never told my work that I actually lived an hour and half away and I had a daughter to drop off and pick up in Didcot. It took me through rain storms, ice and snow. Every day.

Years before that, when all my friends drove new cars, I exclusively drove old 911's. Granted, it was because I couldn't afford new cars (how times have changed with old 911 prices) but I never suffered inside an old 911. My passengers did but that's another story.
To me a 993 is very luxurious, maybe a bit too much. 964 is the best balance I've ever had between the 911 feeling and the cushioning effect. Earlier cars, to me, are every bit as usable as later cars. If you can live without automatic everything.

I have always,always wanted a turbo ever since I was a wee child. To me it was the ultimate 911, but this was before I actually had driven any 911 or any car!
The only turbo I have driven was a 996 that was a tip and I was not impressed. I then drove a mk2 996 GT3 and that was to be the car for me....so what did I do...I bought a 993 C2 obviously.
The C2 was great and with manual and hardbacks too many its the best 993.
For me though I just love the turbo body, pumped up and those flared arches....So I changed it for a C4S and was not disappointed at all.
Now given the chance I would change my C4S for a turbo in a shot. I am lucky that I also own a raw 911 that can give me the sounds,smells and feeling of a NA car and a 993 TT would be the perfect stable mate. My 993 is mainly used for motorway journeys where the extra "overtaking" abilities of the TT would surely benefit me? I would love to drive one to see if the reality is the same as what my mind thinks it would be.

So to answer the question:-Yes i would swap mine in a heartbeat.

To be really honest, I discovered a few years ago that I actually prefer the throttle response and sound from NA engines. I have not driven a 993 turbo, but can state that right now I really do not want a 993 Turbo. The extra weight from the 4wd, big brakes etc might take then edge off the handling and I really just prefer the look of the un-spoilered NA back end. I also prefer rwd cars.

Modern low pressure turbo cars do a great NA impression though, so maybe I need to adjust my views..??

I love the Porsche NA engines, which is why, when I wanted a more hardcore stablemate for the 993 I opted for a GT3 instead of a 997 Turbo

All power to the 993 Turbo boys though - they own one of the 90's best supercars. Its a hugely desirable and durable and very rapid machine, so what's not to really like. I'm just being picky!

So, all things being equal I probably would swap for a turbo if the prices were the same, just to experience a different car - but they're not. And the best part of £50k gets you lots of other interesting motors....

Richyd said:
To be really honest, I discovered a few years ago that I actually prefer the throttle response and sound from NA engines. I have not driven a 993 turbo, but can state that right now I really do not want a 993 Turbo. The extra weight from the 4wd, big brakes etc might take then edge off the handling and I really just prefer the look of the un-spoilered NA back end. I also prefer rwd cars.

I love the Porsche NA engines, which is why, when I wanted a more hardcore stablemate for the 993 I opted for a GT3 instead of a 997 Turbo

Agree, the response of a NA engine is my preference as is the lack of additional weight from the four wheel drive bits and additional unsprung weight of bigger brakes which further dulls steering feel (unsprung weight is four times magnified over non-unsprung weight). That's why I went for the C2S instead of either 4*4 option. Plus I prefer the purity of the widebody, after all the 993 GT2 is my favourite look and that's a bit wide (I might put up with the turbo in the GT2 though - it's the rear drive only bit which I also like.)

I used to look at the 993 turbo as the ultimate (GT2 aside), until I drove my mates one around europe; yes it was good; yes it was uber fast; yes it sounded great with the gemballa exhaust; but seemed dare I say a little bit numb (especially the assisted clutch). Don't get me wrong it is a superb car and found the acceleration addictive but it also seemed to lack a little 'character' and 'finesse' of the naturally aspirated car. It did serve to focus me on what I was ultimately looking for in a 911......a 964RS....all imho :thumb:

I thought I was going to work my up from old 911's to a 964 to a 993 to a 993 TT. I remember telling my wife in great detail how my next logical step was a 993 TT. Looks like that ship has now sailed!

When I was at university and didn't know too much about Porsches, on my route to class each morning 3 brand new 993s would come past me. I was on my bicycle of course. Two of the three would do nothing for me but there was one that I literally lusted for and I couldn't figure out why. Then one day the special one came past me a bit slower and I could see that it was a "Carrera S". I didn't know how or why I liked it so much because at the time I thought it was just a differently specced model or something. I promised myself that one day I will own a 993 Carrera S, whatever it was, because it was head and shoulders prettier than any Porsche I have ever seen.
Many years later I found out that the S had a wide body, which in combination with the split grille must have subconsciously ticked all my boxes. It still does.
But I would have swapped it for a turbo if I could.

Theoretical best case scenario for me would have been a 993 turbo minus the whale tail.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back