Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

TomTom XXL Classic - amazon deal

:hand: I take it you're not going to go for the initial free map update :dont know: Most of the feedback says this units memory @2Gb is too small to take the full update given that it is preloaded to 1.7Gb. Unless of course you can delete some countries that you will never visit :?:

Still good value though :thumb:

There are "better" devices out there and I'm already well versed in the pains of TT map updates :pc: but this has the added feature of allowing itinerary planning which is fairly crucial on the 911uk tours...

Why not just download the Euro TomTom from the App Store and use on iPhone 6+ (which is what I do?). Um... Not sure it does itinerary planning.... must do though, I'll have a look later

8)

TT pulled the itinerary planning feature from many of its newer devices for reasons best known to themselves :dont know:

I guess smart-phone nav apps are all good and well so long as you don't mind the prohibitive roaming charges* and patchwork 3G coverage...

*until sometime next year when this shameless cash-grabbing robbery will finally be outlawed, at least while you are travelling in the EU... :wack:

chimp911 said:
TT pulled the itinerary planning feature from many of its newer devices for reasons best known to themselves :dont know:

I guess smart-phone nav apps are all good and well so long as you don't mind the prohibitive roaming charges* and patchwork 3G coverage...

*until sometime next year when this shameless cash-grabbing robbery will finally be outlawed, at least while you are travelling in the EU... :wack:

Roaming charges don't apply, you can turn off data roaming and the TT iPhone app still works via GPRS (although I suppose if you have live traffic etc updates then they wont work). :grin:

I checked the app, and it has "Advanced Planning" which is the itinerary planning wotsit you refer to? So all good. I'm very happy with this app, I was a bit pissed off initially because you cant just pay the difference in cost to upgrade from UK to Euro versions, you have to pay the entire amount. Other than that its very good app, works a treat.

Roro said:
I checked the app, and it has "Advanced Planning" which is the itinerary planning wotsit you refer to? So all good. I'm very happy with this app, I was a bit pissed off initially because you cant just pay the difference in cost to upgrade from UK to Euro versions, you have to pay the entire amount. Other than that its very good app, works a treat.

No not all good, advanced planning is not. Comparable with tyres, so no use for down loading our routes for euro or Scotland tours. Plus biggest problem with Phone apps is just when you need them you lose signal and the place we go normally have poor phone reception.

:yeah:

Check it carefully Roro - it may have an itinerary planning feature but it's probably limited to just 4 or 5 way points. You also want to know if you can import/export the .itn files which contains the route (as a list of way points) that can be shared between devices. On our tours we often have 20+ way points for each day so without this feature your nav becomes about as useful as a shop soiled bar of soap...

Yes you're right I just checked. It's only up to 5 stops, and you can't export the files only "share" via email sms (or Facebook or Twitter lol)

Pretty crap for hardcore road trippers like yourselves then! I just usually need guidance for hotel-track-hotel / calais ...

"Hardcore" is perhaps stretching the truth a little, but point taken :grin:

My cars have perfectly serviceable sat nags as it is (though without any camera alerts :cop:), and that does take into account the massive inconvenience of them only accepting 5 digit postcodes :roll:

This offer (I assume now expired) is/was only useful if you ever expect to do some kind of group tour...

chimp911 said:
My cars have perfectly serviceable sat nags as it is (though without any camera alerts :cop:), and that does take into account the massive inconvenience of them only accepting 5 digit postcodes
Chimp, there is an OPC update for your PCM3.0 to accept 7 digit post-codes now. OPCs were giving them away at special offer earlier this year for less than £100. Not sure if this offer is still on.

~ Maxie

I had this update added to my porker last March but my comment was aimed at those that haven't/can't (including my other car)...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back