Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Passenger wing mirror glass moves on its own....

steve r

Spa-Francorchamps
Recently i noticed my my passenger wing mirror glass fluttering when driving, i thought the glass could be loose and moving in the airflow but it seems to be secure and now the glass adjusts itself up/down while driving.

It moves up at speed and then returns down to the normal position when I stop. I've tried moving the rocker switch on the adjuster to both positions and if I adjust the mirror to a normal position at speed it ends up adjusting down to show the ground when I stop.

The glass still drops down when reverse is selected as normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mine shakes like a tree full of monkeys too.
It still works fine however.
I was going to pull it apart for a look but have not got around to it yet.

Interested to hear if anybody else has

Apologies in advance. I have nothing more useful or mature to offer than this:

Sorry, not having a go at you. The image just 'popped in there' as an idea.

On a serious note hopefully it helps keep the thread high on the noticed list till someone with some expertise comes along and can actually help you with your query.

I am actually quite intrigued as to the source of the problem..... :?:

Don't you have a good Indy you can ask? I'd be lost without mine in such unusual faults :dont know:

Might be time to buy the Bentley 996 manual then and get the mirror off and check out the wiring.

Here are some further tips to help you:

Searching the Forum History
You can also do a search on the forum pages for other's experiences of similar problems. It's possibly a rare one so might have come up but not frequently.

To search go into your Forum of choice - in this case 996. Click on the Search Forum (top right of screen). The search is more BT Internet than Google, so you'll need to dig out your Boolean logic, but once you type the 'AND' notifies it actually works quite well.

Getting Your Query Noticed
The forum topics that get read tend to be the most popular 'current topics' (or on the 996 forum those with a 'Engine fault' in the title...... :pc: )

Your title is good actually. Everyone has wing mirrors so will want to have a look. To get your query up the popularity stakes it needs replies. My Ghostbusters pic was actually a way of 'bumping it up' for you and hopefully generating some traffic your way :thumb:

And I was being silly :grin:

Wing Mirror Fault
I'm no engineer but did replace one of my mirrors when a people carrier driven by Mrs Magoo took one of mine out in spectacular style. I had to source a replacement (Ebay) and have it painted the right colour to match. When I fitted the new one the terminals did need a good clean to make it work properly. If I was you that's where I would start.

Stuart has shown the removal and you can search for disassembly instructions - it's easy and even I did it and my fingers are like soap. I might even have the motor drive of the old one still in the loft if you need one?

If it's anything beyond that then there are fantastically experienced and skilled types on here to help you out more.

Hope that's a little more help! :thumb:

But I still think the Ghostbusters pic was actually quite funny :)

Thanks for your help, hopefully i'll have time to look into it a bit further this week & report back.

Not trying to hijack the thread... But I find my passenger side mirror does not rotate outward enough to give a good view behind and in blinds spot area. View is very much filled by rear wheel arch. Is this usual? Don't want to dismantle if it is just the usual.
Simon

simonfraser181 said:
Not trying to hijack the thread... But I find my passenger side mirror does not rotate outward enough to give a good view behind and in blinds spot area. View is very much filled by rear wheel arch. Is this usual? Don't want to dismantle if it is just the usual.
Simon
:success:

I finally had time to look at this today, adjusted the mirror to the position to remove the glass, pulled it and the glass very easily came away from its backing structure !!

It was only stuck on at the very top so it must have been airflow causing it to move and looks like it was pretty close to falling off...

I've stuck it back on with double sided tape for now while I source a replacement. Looking in the PET there are several different options:
Mirror glass
Mirror glass plane
Mirror glass aspherical
Mirror glass convex

Not sure which one i'll need, so may need to remove the mirror and look for a part number on the back unless anyone on here knows?

Thanks

Edit:

Looks like its Mirror glass convex 996 731 037 01 going by the remarks column with /RL/L for right hand drive, left?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back