Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Head room - targa v's coupe?

BenC

Am new to 993's having previously owned impact bumper 911s
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=97413

Recently sold my '88 3.2 targa with a view to getting a 993 targa.

One of the things I loved about my targa was the extra headroom over a coupe, especially on track with a crash helmet etc. (I'm 6ft1)
So is it the same in a 993 targa? Do you get an extra 40mm+ of headroom over a coupe?

Despite their online reputation I visited Hendon Way Motors this morning to look at their 993s - all coupes sadly but I thought it was worth spending a bit more time around a few different cars to learn a bit more. Sat in a few but otherwise a waste of time - dealer wasn't there despite arranging to meet me, then test drives weren't an option.

My search goes on :)

I wouldn't be able to say how much, and 40mm sounds a lot, but yes, roof closed and blind open there is more headroom in a 993 targa than coupe.

I'm 6'2" and that's one of the reasons I chose a targa, I was craning my neck in a coupe (both with standard seats)

Hi Matt, thanks for your reply. Sounds like if you fit in with standard seats then I should be ok. I've got no intention of changing away from standard seats in this car.
Are you suggesting that with the sun blind pulled over that is similar to the interior headlining height in a coupe?

Well you do lose a bit of headroom with the blind shut, I don't know if it's exactly the same as a coupe.

I don't think anyone ever drives a glass roof car with the blind shut, though, it's just for when parked.

fair enough,
thanks for your input

can't wait to find the right car!
Ben

Good luck looking for one and I hope the process is enjoyable.

There don't seem to be many targas available at the moment and you'd probably want to find a dealer with a targa and a coupe so you can directly compare the headroom for yourself. Maybe have a ring round JZM, Hexagon, HWM, see what they've got.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

I missed out on two targas at the same dealer at the start of the summer because I wasnt completely ready to sell my 3.2 and I've been kicking myself about that ever since!

I've been searching hard, with regular emails and phone calls to dealers for the last 4 months and a lot of time online searching.
Two private seller cars haven't worked out, although I dodged a complete dog of a car with the first one!

Not many targas for sale at the mo so I'm hoping that now the end of the summer seems to have kicked in that should bring a few more out.

Fingers crossed :)

Yes, loads more headroom and a much lighter cabin.

I'm sure you'll find one. I've had mine for just over a year and I've really enjoyed it through the summer. 3500 miles - and it seems that half of it was in the rain. But who cares - I've done a few things to bring it to a better standard than when I bought it, and it just seems to run better and better.

Good luck.

Why wouldn't you consider getting a different driver's seat for track days? All seats, perhaps excepting the soft-back sports seats, aren't great at holding the driver in place.

I've got a permanently installed 996 GT3 seat in my coupe and whilst it looks slightly out of place, in a 993 it's very comfortable ever for long distances and holds me place really well.

I'm 6'4" and to get really low there's always the option of removing the cushions on the GT3 seat which are held on with velcro.

Great to hear there is more headroom - wasn't expecting the head height to be so snug in the 993, suppose that's a consistent difference targa to coupe through the years. Can't wait to find a decent car

No need to change seats - don't plan to be tracking this one. The 993 targa is going to be my daily 'practical family car', as was my '88 :)

I'm lucky enough to have a bonkers track toy :D although I'm getting withdrawal as I haven't managed to get on track for a while
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=97413

Evenin' all,

I did a sprint in a coupe with standard seats I remember it being tight but didn't notice any neck craning and I'm 6ft4 and a bit....

It would be worth taking your lid and sitting in a Coupe.

Cheers,
Lig.

thanks Lig,
perhaps I didn't have the seats down as far as it could potentially go? although I did move them to their lowest position, but perhaps that was those cars in particular.

no way I would have comfortably fitted in there with a crash helmet on though - perhaps it was my SoulGlo getting in the way?! :D

Attachments

• joe_vs_the_volcano_soul_glo_187.jpg
    joe_vs_the_volcano_soul_glo_187.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 5,242
have now bought a 993 targa and am pleased to report plenty of headroom :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back