Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

my 996 Turbo Smoking a lot

melodasi

Hi there,

I just got my car from service and have a little test I notice a lot of smoking when I turn left or right and accelerate at the sea time.

I check the oil level it am not sure but I think the guy put more oil and it needs.
Driving and accelerating to high RPM in straight line it is ok, but if I turn it smokes more than the batmobile.
Have a look at the oil level attached.

any ideas?

Attachments

• 2014_11_21_175453_575.jpg
    2014_11_21_175453_575.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 4,778
:eek:

That is overfilled. Take it back and ask them to rectify it asap.

:agree:

That is really terrible, those that serviced it deserve a real telling off

I would certainly try to get the excess out before you drive it too much (if at all).

I am just looking at the service items, so it says 8.8 litres of oil.

:evil:

If you don't b0ll0ck them I will. Morons! :x

Can you drain some of that off ASAP? As you can probably tell from the responses its really bad to overfill the turbo engine.

Hate to see something like this happen to a fellow owner and hope it all works out okay :?

T8 said:
:eek:

That is overfilled. Take it back and ask them to rectify it asap.

hopefully its only a 1/4 of a litre or so as too much oil will damage the internals of an engine

my s2000 got 2 much oil at a service 60ish miles the engine failed

leave the car at the garage and get a lift home

M9JOC said:
Hopefully its only a 1/4 of a litre or so as too much oil will damage the internals of an engine

1/4 of a litre or even 1/5 it's over the MAXIMUM line.

If the car is smoking a lot I'd suggest it's got way too much in it.

Are you sure it needs 8.8ltr?
I recently had my Turbo serviced at an OPC and they charged me for 8 litres and I suspect if had needed more they'd have squeezed it in and charged me for it :?:

In the manual it says 8 litres. thy put 8.8, I will take it on Monday, it just started the car to see and it smoked

Where should the gauge be?? Am I correct in assuming that it should be half way between the max. and min. markings?

NickHappy said:
Where should the gauge be?? Am I correct in assuming that it should be half way between the max. and min. markings?

You'll get different opinions on this. I would guess anywhere between max and min is ok else the max and the min would be different, if you see what I mean. I keep mine one blob below max. Means I keep the most oil in it I can without risking over filling. Each blob is 250ml.

New996buyer said:
:evil:

If you don't b0ll0ck them I will. Morons! :x

Can you drain some of that off ASAP? As you can probably tell from the responses its really bad to overfill the turbo engine.

Hate to see something like this happen to a fellow owner and hope it all works out okay :?

Hi just for my information, why is it particularly bad to overfill a 996 turbo engine? As I understand it there is a separate(ish) oil tank not a conventional sump, so less risk of crank/rods frothing the oil. I am just curious why overfilling is so much worse in a turbocharged engine.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back