Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Top End Options

robertdover

Monza
Car now has 118,000 on it. Maybe some signs of the exhaust guide valves starting to wear. Nothing desperate just yet.

So.....Just initial thoughts on the best place to go for a top end, options, rough costs depeding on what you do obviously.

Might upgrade the suspention too whilst im at it. :eek:

Rattle it has, albeit minor. Oil Leaks have been sorted to some extent. The main one being the seaping from the crank case due to weeping O rings, solved by using slightly different oil. Failed its MOT on exhaust last year initially. They got it through some how ;-)

orangecurry said:
993s don't need top end rebuilds.

HTH

MOD: Shouldn't this comment be moved to the thread on 993 myths?

:dont know: :eek: :D :D

American cars seem to fair much worse with worn valve guides. Something to do with secondary air injection (which RoW cars don't have) causing the exhaust valve guide to run at a higher temperature. :dont know:

robertdover said:
Rattle it has, albeit minor. Oil Leaks have been sorted to some extent. The main one being the seaping from the crank case due to weeping O rings, solved by using slightly different oil. Failed its MOT on exhaust last year initially. They got it through some how ;-)

If by O rings you mean through bolts, I am going through the rebuild process at the moment at Precision. :x

robertdover said:
Car now has 118,000 on it. Maybe some signs...

So your 993 doesn't need a top-end rebuild. What oil is in it?

robertdover said:

That's a good way to spend your money.

robertdover said:
Car now has 118,000 on it. Maybe some signs of the exhaust guide valves starting to wear. Nothing desperate just yet.

So.....Just initial thoughts on the best place to go for a top end, options, rough costs depeding on what you do obviously.

Although the 993 engine should be good up to 200k and beyond, there is no harm in going for a top end rebuild if you're >150k because age can also become a factor with most cars now approaching 20 years old.

However if your car is on it's original suspension then it's worth spending money on renewing the suspension and all of the associated rubbers, that would have seen a lot of action in those 118,000 miles.

Hi

I had my top end apart at 185k miles for a broken piston ring. I did end up doing some stuff "while I was there" but actually the only parts that were out of spec worn were the exhaust valve guides and timing chain ramps.

The inside of the engine was almost unbelievably clean. A combination of lots of motorway miles and Magnatec 10/40 at very regular intervals.

Berni

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back