Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

8 months of Turbo ownership

Andyvvc

First off... I was '911_newbie" but have since had my forum name changed so that I don't keep confusing Ekona :O) Bonus points to anyone who can explain the username I now use...

Now on to the Turbo. 8 months into owning the car, the time has been spent fretting about cosmetic niggles (do I get a front-end re-spray?) and having heart-attacks on a semi-frequent basis when the oil pressure gauge decides to stop working for a few seconds.... And to be honest, other than these issues and the occasional 'smoke-at-startup" hilarity, the car has been rock-solid. The only issues of note that I have had were a small coolant loss (turned out to be drain-plugs leaking and needing to be replaced) and a weeping front diff seal (also sorted out for not that much)

Infact, my current grumble is as silly as a snapped door-card clip in the passenger side door, leading to some rattle from the door card. This seems to have been damaged when the car went in for paint – the doors were removed to get access to the rusted sills (thanks to the aluminium 911 Turbo kickplates!) whilst also getting the front end re-sprayed. Car is due a major service at somepoint early next year too (maybe even December this year if I bring it forward) so I'll get my Indy to sort that door-card clip out when she goes in for the work.

And that seems to be all that's been bothering me. Oh, and the skipping in-dash CD player. But I now have a donor CDC-3 unit to be fitted into the boot space so that should sort that out.

In 8 months the car has gone from 56,600 miles to 63,250 miles, driven in all weather (rain/sun) and handling superbly in all those varied conditions. In fact, in the wet the car feels staggeringly planted and so easy to get the power down safely, a far cry from the on-off nature of grip that my 350z had (such is the difference four-wheel-drive makes in bad conditions)

Cost-wise the car hasn't really cost me anything except a few second-hand replacement parts, a service (minor at an Indy) and the weeping front diff seals. Oh, and front coffin arms (cheap again, I think it was £250 for both fitted). The coffin arms weren't really needed, the clunk was only slight from the front end of the car, but I tend to be a bit ***** about making sure parts are working correctly. Oh, and the paint refresh.

Indeed, the only thing that has had more significant cost is the paint work; here I opted for a full front-end re-spray, re-alignment of the bonnet catch (bonnet was dipping below the front bumper lip) and also door sills being sorted for rust, re-sprayed and then left nekid (alu kick plates have been smashed with a hammer...very therapeutic... original owner shouldn't have specced them they'd done that much damage to the sills!) At first it didn't look at all bad, but upon pulling each plate off and lightly attacking the minor paint bubbling with a Dremel, the rust underneath reared it's ugly head.

So that just leaves a major service+sparks+coil packs at my local Indy (and also CDC-3 fitting and getting the oil pressure sender cleaned!)....and then (if I actually care) a re-furb on the alloys. Trouble is, I like driving the car too much to be without alloys for a week or so while they get sorted out... so maybe that can wait until crap weather in Feb next year. If i even bother, I never have with any other car.

The slush fund remains more-or-less un-touched, and will doubtless take it's first proper hit when one of the bonded hoses falls off... or my hydraulic rams decide to stop working!

I'm looking forward to another 8 months of hopefully trouble-free ownership. Well, major-trouble-free at least..... I can handle the rattle and skipping CD player for the time being.

Now all I need to do is NOT read some of the excellent DIY maintenance threads that owners have posted..... because if I do there is a very real danger I will end up buying new thicker InterCoolers and other shiny stuff to replace rusted stuff underneath the rear bumper :O)

Andyvvc said:
First off... I was '911_newbie" but have since had my forum name changed so that I don't keep confusing Ekona. Bonus points to anyone who can explain the username I now use...

:shutup:

pzero said:
Andyvvc said:
First off... I was '911_newbie" but have since had my forum name changed so that I don't keep confusing Ekona. Bonus points to anyone who can explain the username I now use...

:shutup:

Additional bonus-points to anyone who can guess which Moderator helped me get my username changed....anyone....any ideas....? :floor:

Andyvvc said:
Additional bonus-points to anyone who can guess which Moderator helped me get my username changed....anyone....any ideas....? :floor:

Do I get any points for noting that vvc is the registration number of that moderators car. :?:

Andy & pzero sitting up a tree, Andy & pzero ... K.. I.. SS.. I.. N.. Gee :grin:

T8 said:
Andyvvc said:

Do I get any points for noting that vvc is the registration number of that moderators car. :?:

Andy & pzero sitting up a tree, Andy & pzero ... K.. I.. SS.. I.. N.. Gee :grin:

Good spot :thumb:

Hmmmmmm this level of intimacy reminds me of something........... :chin:

Oh yes...........'That's no pillow!?! :eek:

pzero said:
T8 said:
Andyvvc said:

Good spot :thumb:

Holy crap! Pzero's reg has 'VVC' in it?!? Unreal!

I've actually used this forum name for over a decade since i first bought a K Series Rover Coupe back in 2003. I used the 'VVC' addition on my name because of the VVC mech that the K Series engines used. Ended up using that forum name across other owners clubs too as i changed my cars.

Now i know what you are thinking.....why didn't you just keep the excellent Rover? That's a question i ask myself on a daily basis....honest..... :grin:

(The engine was fantastic when it wasn't breaking down)

New996buyer said:
Hmmmmmm this level of intimacy reminds me of something........... :chin:

Oh yes...........'That's no pillow!?! :eek:

Brilliant, one of the funniest ever! :thumb:

MJA997 said:

:) Thank you kindly good sir

Now we've interupted the 'bromance'.....any chance of a shot of the turbo!?! :useless:

:thumb:

New996buyer said:
MJA997 said:

Now we've interupted the 'bromance'.....any chance of a shot of the turbo!?! :useless:

I'm too busy watching "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" :thumb:

Andyvvc said:
New996buyer said:
MJA997 said:

I'm too busy watching "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" :thumb:
:floor: :floor:

Watching it...? There was me thinking you were living it....! :eek:

(BTW - being a total sado I got the VVC reference straight away.... :coat: )

How did the Turbo kick plates contribute to the sills rusting ?

Joking aside great write up :thumb:

The bit I'm curious about is the front end respray. :?:

Why the whole front end? And not just the PU? And are you satisfied the bonnet catch out of alignment / needing adjustment was just wear and tear or do you think someone was messing about a bit with it? (Maybe screwing around when taking off / on PU for rad work etc? )

Good mileage as well btw. Nice to see you're emioying it :grin:

Nice to hear of a turbo that's not costing a fortune to run.

jonboy said:
How did the Turbo kick plates contribute to the sills rusting ?

Over time (nearly ten years in the case of my Turbo) the alu kick plates had slowly cut into the paint at either end of the plate. I guess where the car has flexed when being driven, the plate hasn't, thus it has ever-so-slightly cut into the sill paint at the very edge of the plates.

On the PPI and test drives this was noted, but it didn't look bad. In fact it looked quite minor. But a few months into owning the car i became more paranoid - a search on here revealed others have had to go "sill nekid" due to the same issue. So, i plucked up courage (and a hair dryer) heated the soft sticky mounting pads under the sills and removed them.

B0ll0cks

Three very obvious rust-spots starting to form - two on pasenger side, one drivers. Using a dremel revealed the true depth of the rust doh! I will get a few pics up today if i can showing the rust exposed after a dremel with the plates removed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back