Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 advise needed

kier333

Hi,
I am new to the forum and currently looking for some advise on my first Porsche. I am in the market for a 997, I have around £25.000 to spend, I may be able to stretch more for the right vehicle.

What model of the 997 should I be looking for Gen 1 or 2. I would like it also to be an auto and prefer a coupe.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have found a couple I do like, am I allowed to post links of the cars for advise?

Many thanks in advance

You wont get a Gen 2 for anywhere near £25K

You will have the choice of an 3.6 standard or 3.8 S model both of which are available in 2WD or 4WD models.

One word of caution don't ever buy at the top of your budget, keep some back as a contingency fund -just in case.

Thanks for the reply.

I have found a gen 2 for 28.950 on a 09 plate but with 94.000 FSH, what mileage are they good for ?

kier333 said:
Thanks for the reply.

I have found a gen 2 for 28.950 on a 09 plate but with 94.000 FSH, what mileage are they good for ?

Does that include a Porsche used car warranty?

I don't think so, it's from a local garage, can i post a link to the vehicle?

I have read there is lots of problems with the gen 1 engine, is the correct

I would say a gen 2 with high mileage (but hardly moon and back!) for sub £30k is very interesting.
Opinions on reliability on gen 1 differ but if you have your eyes open and are already nervous then this makes a lot of sense.
Usual rules apply to any car purchase - get a proper inspection and if warranty is involved then mores the better. Porsche and very mileage sensitive so have that in mind. North of 100k you will have a much reduced pool of buyers - not impossible but you will need to be very price realistic. But buy cheap and sell cheap - what's not to like??

There is a cracker for sale at car4yousales in London.
Gen 2, 89.000 miles with a great spec
PDk - auto and generally agreed to be excellent (changes gear faster than you can!)
Sport chrono - sought after
Sports exhaust - sought after
Heated seats - sought after
Pasm - upgrade on no standard carrera
Sunroof - never a bad thing and only 25% of cars have one
Black with full black leather - always a classic

If I was in the market I think I would be having a very serious look.
Gen 2 engine seems to be pretty bullet proof so you should sleep very well at night.

Looks nice, I'm not sure I would want to deal with a garage that also sells vehicles for under £500 though!

I like the Charles Ivey car out of that lot. I'm not attracted to the Gen II cars at those mileages unfortunately. The Ivey car is a lot of car at low mileage for the money. A PPI should confirm if it's worth buying.

~ Maxie

These huge premiums for high mileage auction bought cars amazes me, buy privately with a bit of common sense and due diligence and save £3-4k and 20,000 miles on the clock...

If the 09 car was in good condition, well warranted (which I believe Portiacraft underwrite themselves) and not showing it's miles, I'd be buying that in a heartbeat.

If I was looking to spend less than £30k on a 997, wanted to keep it for a while and only wanted to do 2-3 k miles per year I'd go for a high mileage Gen2 car over any Gen1 every time.

If I wanted to spend less than £30k on a 911 and wanted to do 6-8k miles a year I'd go for a 996 Turbo. Oh, hang on a minute .... I did. :grin:

Good luck :thumb:

T8 said:
If I was looking to spend less than £30k on a 997, wanted to keep it for a while and only wanted to do 2-3 k miles per year I'd go for a high mileage Gen2 car over any Gen1 every time.

If I wanted to spend less than £30k on a 911 and wanted to do 6-8k miles a year I'd go for a 996 Turbo. Oh, hang on a minute .... I did. :grin:

Good luck :thumb:

Plus 1 :thumb:
Think of it this way the 993 is seen as bulletproof, it's twenty year old tech, the gen 2 997 is where Porsche finally got the water cooled right , before that there's always a risk. 997.2 probably good for gazillions of miles, too soon to tell yet, bet there's not a single engine rebuild out there yet mind, gen 1 v 2 it's a no brainer..... I hate the 996, but high miles gen 2 v 996 turbo, I think the turbo would win...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back