Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Driver's seat position of choice ?

What's your favoured driver's seat position?

• High seat height, short stretch to wheel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High seat height, medium stretch to wheel

• High seat height, long stretch to wheel

• Medium seat height, short stretch to wheel

• Medium seat height, medium stretch to wheel

• Medium seat height, long stretch to wheel

• Low seat height, short stretch to wheel

• Low seat height, medium stretch to wheel

• Low seat height, long stretch to wheel

• Total voters

Flystar

Was just wondering what everyone's favoured driver's seat position was?

I have just changed mine so that seat height is minimum and steering wheel reach is stretched out. Feels much more plugged in and 'racer like' than it was before.

Cheers

Fly

Behind the steering wheel for me please... :lol:

I used to get as low as I could. At the Porsche driving school however I was encouraged to sit at a height where I could easily see both front wings and a distance away from the steering wheel such that with outstretched arms my wrists were touching the steering wheel rim. Never looked back since (except when reversing or just before a manoeuvre). :thumb:

Flystar said:
...I have just changed mine so that seat height is minimum and steering wheel reach is stretched out. Feels much more plugged in and 'racer like' than it was before.....

Stretched out isn't 'racer like'!

Look at any photo or video of a racing driver in action and you'll see the elbow angle close to 90 degrees.

I aim for a lowish seat and hands on wheel (at spokes on the paddle wheel) at shoulder height.

It's a little low for visibility of extremities of car, but feels much more 'connected' than higher up.

In terms of 'stretch', arms at about 135 deg included angle at elbows.

Wheel height set to just see the 4k of rev counter under top rim of wheel.

RH side of the car, elbow on window ledge holding steering wheel and other hand on gearstick............ :Dance-Tap:

Fox Terrier said:
I used to get as low as I could. At the Porsche driving school however I was encouraged to sit at a height where I could easily see both front wings and a distance away from the steering wheel such that with outstretched arms my wrists were touching the steering wheel rim. Never looked back since (except when reversing or just before a manoeuvre). :thumb:

+1 on this definition with a basic check from ' Quick Vic's' handbook...

His driving tips are by far the best anyone can opt for!!
Driving becomes really comfortable experience after setting up properly!!

T

Chris_in_the_UK said:
RH side of the car, elbow on window ledge holding steering wheel and other hand on gearstick............ :Dance-Tap:

No No No...you mean...window down, arm on ledge getting brown in the sun (truckers arm) holding steering wheel and other hand on
a) Wifes / girlfriends knee
b) Cup of coffee / beer
c) when neccesary...on the gear stick!

:eek:

Since buying my 997 a month ago, I've struggled to find the best driving position. Thanks to this poll, I've now found the best one for myself.

Medium seat height, medium stretch to steering wheel (as previous poster said, wrist touches wheel when stretched out), Steering wheel at full height and slight reach adjustment.

You need to be able to turn the wheel from gripping at 1:40 clock position, for steering around minor obstacles, without hitting your hands on your knee.

Erm, 1:40? Either you mean 2:45 or 13:50 surely, as 1:40 is just odd.

My advanced driving training taught me 10 to 2 or 13:50 is the optimum hand position on the wheel based on a clock face.

Either hand should not go past the 12 or 6 position - you should pass the wheel through your hands gripping with one side and sliding it through the other to ensure your hands stay within the 7 - 11 position for the left and 1-5 for the right.

Currently medium height and medium stretch - my instructor at the Porsche Driving Centre had set the seat in a low position.

Still trying to find the 'sweet spot' that doesn't give me a pain in some part of my back or other. Took me six months with the BMW I had; to many things to adjust. Simple seats take me about 10 minutes to find the right position.

Big Phil1 said:
My advanced driving training taught me 10 to 2 or 13:50 is the optimum hand position on the wheel based on a clock face.

On PDK cars you may prefer 9 to 3 - in order to better access the paddles!

This was perfectly acceptable to the examiner when I passed my IAM test.. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back