Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Daily driver? What about a flooded road?

GP41

Nurburgring
As I continue my 997 hunt I've been trying to think about situations where I'd be unhappy about using a 911 as a daily driver. The thing is, I've got the option to keep our old golf GTi and need to decide whether it stays or goes. It only does max. 2000 miles per year and so it's hard to justify the overhead costs of keeping it (though that said I'm keen to find out whether multi-car Insurance policies are good for this situation which would just leave the silly road tax and ageing components to consider).

The other day I had to drive through a flood - must've been at least 6" deep - and afterwards I wondered how I'd have felt being faced with the same flooded section of road had I been in a 911.

Have others faced the same dilemma?

There was a flood today, every car jumped a small kerb to avoid the flooded area, but with me driving the 911 i had no option than going through it slowly, not an ideal driving condition but nothing happened

as for keeping another car, it is a good idea to have a backup daily driver. Maintenance cost for another car will be offset by saving mileage/service on the 911

A couple of weeks ago I had to drive through a 20 foot long puddle with about 9 inches of standing water - enough for 4X4s to send up a 3 foot bow wave - and despite a massive amount of :drive: I didn't have a problem.

Even fairly deep puddles aren't much to worry about, though I wouldn't drive mine through properly deep water out of sheer fiscal paranoia. However, the modern 911 does have some advantages over most cars in the situation. The engine air intake is on the top of the rear boot for a start, greatly reducing the chances of it ingesting water. Also, much of the control electronics are actually in the cabin rather than the engine bay (under the seats, behind the dashboard and behind the rear seats/carpet).

Thanks all - sounds like I've got more to worry about parking in the local supermarket than I have when driving through a flooded road!

Good point about the cost of second car vs cost of higher mileage and maintenance. We do have one other car - I'm just struggling to justify being a 3-car household for those few occasions when the other car's out and I'd rather not have to take out the 911.

Although the air intake is above the engine there is a hole at the bottom of the air box to drain any water which gets in from above. This can suck water in from below the car which gets through the filter and fouls the MAF.

The other thing is that the coil packs are located very near the road surface. If they arent 100% then they can become faulty when driven in very wet conditions or through a flooded road.

:bandit:

keep the other car or get a cheap one. Admiral have been very good with multi car. Having said that they couldn't match a GoCompare price for my Cooper S. But the Porsche prices have been very good.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back