Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil for service

SaintsPaul

Nurburgring
My C2 is due a service next month and I shall be taking it to my local OPC.
Is it worthwhile providing the oil for the service rather than the OPC supplying it ?
I know when I have taken my Fords to Ford to be serviced the difference in cost was not worth the effort.
Would the OPC insist on a particular type of oil ?

IMHO I don't think so unless there's something specific you want put in the sump. Depends on factors like how often you have the oil changed and miles between changes.

Ask your OPC directly what they are using (presume Mobil 1) and make a decision based upon that. If your C2 has higher miles you could go with something other than 0w-40

Don't flame me but I believe in using real basic oils and changing it every 3 to 5k miles rather than anything expensive for long periods of time. Internals stay as clean as a whistle and there always something fresh in there. That regime isn't for everyone though

:thumbs:

Sounds like you could save a handy amount, they probably default to Mobil, but can't see why they wouldn't be happy with a Porsche A40 approved oil - as long as it's unopened/sealed. These are Opie's A40 oils http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-913-porsche-porsche-a40-engine-oil.aspx

MarkGolf was saying on his Progess thread the other day that Costco are doing Mobil1 5L at £29.

I asked Porsche Hatfied the same thing yesterday!

Answer I got from OPC Hatfield:

The cost of the oil for the service is £85.68

It's my understanding that OPCs only accept unopened packs.

2 x 5 litre packs of Mobil 1 costs £99.98 in Halfords. It can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

I've got invoices from various OPCs showing that they charge by the litre. The most recent one I've got (2012) shows the price as £13 + VAT = £15.60 per litre. I was charged for 9 so £140.40.

The last time I had a n oil change done I provided 2 of my own (purchased for £79.99) so I saved £60.41 and I had a litre left over for future top ups.

From what HSC has said above it's possible that they've reduced their prices so I wouldn't bother for the sake of saving less than a tenner BUT I'd check first to find out if that £85.68 quote was + VAT.

I think they have reduced prices as the cost of a Major service, which includes spark plugs, plus brake fluid is CHEAPER than 2 indy's that I got quotes from.

Look at Dove House and they'd charge £828 for the above! The OPC fixed price is £850. For the sake of £22 why would anyone not go to an OPC?

I am a firm believer of helping out the regular guy who has worked hard and started up his own business but £22 for an OPC stamp is a no brainer for me in this situation.

The £85 is including VAT. And they confirmed I would have to buy 10 litres, I suggested I'd bring Mobil 1 New Life (unopened), the cheapest I can get 10 litres for is £77 so for the sake of £8 I am going with the OPC.

It's all looking good for OPC if they are matching the indies, and getting an OPC stamp is always better.
They would of been able to set these prices years ago but must of only recently decided to really compete with the indie's.
I'm sure OPC was about £90 a gallon when I last had an OPC service, I may just go back there again with these reductions.

My Cayenne's only previous owner was the OPC in Dubai. For the services under their ownership M1 was charged at AED 12/litre (£2) for retail service M1 is charged at AED 63/litre (£10.60).

WTF :dont know:

I have just checked last years service invoice from my OPC and I was charged just £67 for oil :eek:

I think I have just answered my own question :thumb:

Thanks for all the advice anyway :thumbs:

Martian said:
infrasilver said:
It's all looking good for OPC if they are matching the indies, and getting an OPC stamp is always better......

I'd rather see stamps from well respected indies than the two OPCs I've had the displeasure of dealing with!

I agree but for a potential buyer to see OPC stamps it would be more of a positive than an indie they had never heard of.

infrasilver said:
Martian said:
infrasilver said:
It's all looking good for OPC if they are matching the indies, and getting an OPC stamp is always better......

I'd rather see stamps from well respected indies than the two OPCs I've had the displeasure of dealing with!

I agree but for a potential buyer to see OPC stamps it would be more of a positive than an indie they had never heard of.

+1 with the proviso that I get my car serviced for me and not for potential owners.

Had OPC Guildford do a major on my 996TT a couple of weeks back.
They charged for 8 litres of 'Mobil 1 New Life 0W-' at 6.50 each.

All parts were 15% off and as I didn't need plugs this time the total was £322.83 plus VAT.

Good value for an OPC major service stamp I think.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back