Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flat battery / alarm help Please.

993S_Ocean

No idea why but in a short space of time the battery is totally drained and so would not unlock using remote

In my wisdom, I took the battery out of the fob
To replace it. Like a wally I forgot which way the polarity is.

Meanwhile I opened bonnet to connect ctek charger and car alarm started to try going off. Silly little chirps and beeps. Remote has no battery as I don't know which way to put it and I've disconnected car battery and charging it whilst it's not connected to the car.

I'm assuming when I do reconnect, the alarm will go off?

Anyone got a picture of or can tell me which way round the battery should go in the fob?

It's a PA something. The version without the LED light on the fob.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the waffley post.

Hello
If you have a PA1000 alarm fitted the battery terminals on the old style (larger fob) are marked on the pcb,
However for newer small size fob this it what it says in the manual.

HANDSET BATTERY REPLACEMENT
Remove the 2 screws securing the back of the handset. Lift the lid off the remote handset and remove the battery.
Install the new battery taking care to observe the polarity. The battery and printed circuit board
are marked + positive and - negative. Refit the lid and replace the screws.
On the new style fob positive is to the right.

I have a PA1000 on mine, if you disconnect the battery the siren will start chirping unless you have the siren keyswitch turned to off.
When you reconnect the battery, the alarm will sound, so you have to have the fob ready to switch it off.

I will attach a copy of the instruction manual

Hope this helps if it is the PA1000 you have fitted.

Attachments

• pa1000_instructions1_151.pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 582
Hi

Good thread. My siren in the engine bay is turned off but I did not get the key
. Called H&P - they have none and are not sure when they will get any. If anybody has one I'm happy to buy it.

Hello.
The siren has a battery back up so that if someone tries to cut the wires to disable the siren it will let you know by chirping.
The key switch allows you to turn it off in case you have to disconnect the car battery to work on the car.
It should not stop the siren from sounding when the alarm is triggered. If your siren is not sounding with the alarm, the chances are the siren is duff like mine was.
I'm not sure that any key will fit the siren. It would be a bit pointless if one size fitted all!
I had to replace my siren and bought one from Hamilton and Palmer, it cost about £70 inc post. However I found out that you can buy an identical unit from the bay for about £15 complete with the battery back up and the key switch.
You have to know a little bit about electrics to fit it, but it's the same with the H&P unit because that doesn't come with a compatible plug either you have to cut and splice the wires.

Hi Citori, do you have an ebay seller or item #?

Just something to think about...but if you are starting to replace sirens, etc...you might want to think about moving to a new alarm system. The H&P jobby was fine 20 years ago, but...

Just a thought. Certainly an eBay siren will be cheaper, but have heard of lots of these failing in short order.

Tobesetc said:
Just something to think about...but if you are starting to replace sirens, etc...you might want to think about moving to a new alarm system. The H&P jobby was fine 20 years ago, but...

Just a thought. Certainly an eBay siren will be cheaper, but have heard of lots of these failing in short order.

Yep. I make you right buddy, but if it means the difference betweeen spending £15 and getting your alarm working (and satisfy your Insurance requirement) or spending £250 on a new alarm, taking a day off work to get it done etc, etc. :dont know:

Also, I'm always terrified about someone cutting in to the electrics with a bunch of scotchlocks etc.
Recommendations for quality alarm installers always welcome.:thumb:

rottenbend said:
Hi Citori, do you have an ebay seller or item #?

I fitted one of these to the wifes car about 5 years ago and it's still working OK. :thumb:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Unive...935?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20cdd99fa7

Not QUITE identical to the H&P item as I have seen in the past but near enough..

Can't argue with the maths!

Recommendation for an alarm fitter is easy: Sylwester at Enigma Audio. He's done work on my car and Cambjones' 993 and comes highly recommended by us both.

(My comment was merely because I started down this road and bit by bit replaced the whole alarm system. If I'd bitten the bullet I could have had a new, better system for less£).

Citori said:
The key switch allows you to turn it off in case you have to disconnect the car battery to work on the car.
It should not stop the siren from sounding when the alarm is triggered.

That's strange; I have the PA 1000 and turning off with the key switch does stop the alarm from sounding. If it is turned off and I reconnect the car's battery - the lights all flash but there is no siren.

Thanks for the great feedback as always. H&P said around £400 to fit the PA2000 not including cost to remove all the PA1000 wiring. They said they would check with their siren supplier but they are not sure I they will get them again :sad:

If upgrading the whole thing, I personally wouldn't go H&P (if I was doing it over again! T'was a mistake on my part).

I haven't ever heard the siren in my car go sounding. I have the key and tried all positions, didn't seem to change anything.

I really don't need the alarm system. I wish I could remove the whole thing and wires, but have no clue how! :frustrated:

kerb scraper said:
Citori said:
It should not stop the siren from sounding when the alarm is triggered.

That's strange; I have the PA 1000 and turning off with the key switch does stop the alarm from sounding. If it is turned off and I reconnect the car's battery - the lights all flash but there is no siren.

OK. So I was intrigued by this so I went out and checked the car. :chin:

As I said previously, mine has had a new control pcb and a new siren from H&P (yes, prob not a good idea in hindsight as it cost a packet)

My siren definitely works no matter which position the key switch is in. The only thing the key switch seems to stop is the siren sounding when the car battery is disconnected.

Have you checked that your siren is working at all?
This was the original problem with mine, water gets in to the siren and it shorts out.
You can check the operation of the siren by pressing and holding the lock button, the alarm should sound after a few seconds.

Maybe it's because I have a later model siren.. :dont know:

Tobesetc said:
My comment was merely because I started down this road and bit by bit replaced the whole alarm system. If I'd bitten the bullet I could have had a new, better system for less£ .

Once again I agree with you, I did the same. But after already having spent good money on replacing the control pcb I was sort of committed. Oh well, can't take it with you I guess :nooo:

All sorted my end.

Managed to guess the right way for then fob 9v battery and reconnected car battery and as expected - mega loud siren went off and immediately switched it off from the fob

Took the liberty of connecting the permanent male / female connector for
My ctek charger while I was down there with the battery terminals off.

a two minute job turned into a 30 minute mission impossible because I dropped the 13mm socket down by the spare wheel and it rolled under and got stuck.
Had to wrestle the spare wheel out just to finish the job then put (wrestle) it all back in. What a job that is, just to get the spare out and in again!

By the way, where is the siren located :?:

Any pic please...:oops:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back