Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Good buyer advice required please .

L_holsey

Hi all , straight to the point .. Been offered a 1999 "v" 3.4 c4 manual , Fsh , 140k recent exhaust ,service Hpi clear in black only 4 owners good original condition . Viewing tomorrow/ Monday possible ? I know it's a 996 and have read most scare story's , but I know it's not new car and most cars at this age all need attention , and I don't mind tinkering , What would you advise ?
1. Walk away ?
2. What's a guide price for this ? ( it's in daily use )
3 . Get an inspection ? If so who in West Midlands would you advise & cost ?
4. What 996 important checks can I do myself ?
5 . If all ok , go for if it !!!!
7 . Thanks all in advance :thumb:

Go an have a look and make your decision, you need to see what has been replaced with that sort of mileage on the clock, check the receipts.

They are easy cars to work on, so if you don't mind getting the spanners out this will also help with running costs. All the basic stuff like brakes can be checked easily, all the same things you would check on any car.

Value, I would say £10-11k depending on condition, you could run it for years and not lose anything on value.

Thanks 😉. Going to view eyes wide open ( and realistic ) . Keep advice coming ASAP please .

As Infrasilver said most things you can work on yourself and its relatively easy to work on. Things that I would check:

Have a look into the front bumper and check condition of the air con rads, at this age all 4 rads in the front bumper should have been replaced or will be rotten.

In the engine bay open up the coolant and look for signs of oil in coolant. Also check the quality of the oil on the dipstick. With the engine running remove the oil cap, if it is really hard to remove there could be a problem with vacuum pressures.

check under the rear bumper and have a look at the silencers, they rust along the seams and split, they can also rattle.

Other than that there is not much else to think about really, if it drives nice and goes in a straight line, has some history and has been looked after it could be a solid buy.

Keep an eye out for options, the 3 prong steering wheel is nicer than the 4 point wheel in some cars, bose and harman systems also sound much better than cars without so speakers in the doors is always a plus.

I dont think a car of that age with that mileage is worth anywhere near 10-11000 irrespective of whats been done to it.More like 7500 to 8000.Just my 2p.

Big Jock said:
I dont think a car of that age with that mileage is worth anywhere near 10-11000 irrespective of whats been done to it.More like 7500 to 8000.Just my 2p.

+1

I know someone with a 3.4 with 130k on , goes like stink and is very reliable.

They have just kept it maintained

alex yates said:
Big Jock said:

+1

Depends on how well maintained, if its just had new rads, new brakes, and has been meticulously maintained and/or had recent engine work then it might be worth more to some.

How should the Clutch pedal Feel ( light/ heavy ? ) high or low biting point ?

L_holsey said:
How should the Clutch pedal Feel ( light/ heavy ? ) high or low biting point ?

The clutch in the 911, or at least my 1999 c4 cab (new clutch around 400 miles ago) is heavy with a low bite.

alex yates said:
Big Jock said:

+1

+2

ps What happened to 6. :?:

Good luck :thumb:

Well went to view today so quick update , first off I didn't buy it , main reason was the fact that it needed a fair bit of maintenance , I did drive the car in which it drove well no smoke or rattles . Although being at the bottom end of the price scale , when I considered . Tyres x4, exhaust gasket on 1 side , damp oil area underneath , interior FULL valet and some repairs , service , and I think l/h exhaust note sounded a bit different to the R/h side ( Normal ? ). Slight snagging feel when changing into second gear . So when I do the maths it says spend a bit more on a better more loved one . All your advice was great , so please keep posting many thanks .

L_holsey said:
Well went to view today so quick update , first off I didn't buy it , main reason was the fact that it needed a fair bit of maintenance , I did drive the car in which it drove well no smoke or rattles . Although being at the bottom end of the price scale , when I considered . Tyres x4, exhaust gasket on 1 side , damp oil area underneath , interior FULL valet and some repairs , service , and I think l/h exhaust note sounded a bit different to the R/h side ( Normal ? ). Slight snagging feel when changing into second gear . So when I do the maths it says spend a bit more on a better more loved one . All your advice was great , so please keep posting many thanks .

If by exhaust gasket you are talking manifold gasket you could be talking a fair amount of cash, The bolts are prone to snapping in the heads. I had all mine drilled out and replaced with captive alloy jobbies and it wasn't cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back