Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DIY Bose Subwoofer improvement

markz86

Monza
Great post, thank you.
How much dynamat did you use so I know how much to buy?

Yup did mine as well and definite improvement

Very interesting, the 997.1 Turbo with BOSE I had on extended test drive for a week did my head in!

I vowed never to touch a car so ruined.

Seems odd doesn't it that companies such as bose spend thousands of £££ (presumably) developing these systems and then owners come along and stick in some dynamat for loose change and the system seems of work much better. How does that work?
Not disputing it btw - I have read this previously.
I disconnected mine altogether when I upgraded then HU. I just use the front and rears and the door subs. Seems to work just fine.

I bought a piece 18x32 inches which was more than enough to cover the base of each have of the sub, you might need a little more if you want to do the sides like JohnnyD has done.

I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but sometimes it's nice to just sit back and turn up the stereo (long motorway journeys).

I dont use a lot of bass but the quality of whats there is better, im stuck in the 80's so its Ultravox and American Heartbeat for me :eek:

I had al look today .

I will post when done

Will also have to give this ago as I think the BOSE system sounds awful, (My Skoda sound system is much better/tighter/clearer). The bose just sounds boomy and distorted.

GT4 said:
Very interesting, the 997.1 Turbo with BOSE I had on extended test drive for a week did my head in!

I vowed never to touch a car so ruined.

Seems to be thought that Gen 1 Bose terrible and Gen 2 quite good.

I have to say the Gen2 with DTS or Dolby 5.1 discs is pretty good, but/and I can see the merits still of some slight resonance reduction.

JohnnyDangerous said:
I dont use a lot of bass but the quality of whats there is better, im stuck in the 80's so its Ultravox.........for me :eek:

This means nothing to me.............. :?:

OHH Vienna :D

And Dance with tears in our eyes ?????

The sheet of Dynamat Extreme turned up today so I set about getting the subwoofer out and found that it wasn't connected to anything and there was nothing to connect it too! After removing carpet, sound deadening and aluminium covers beneath it, I eventually found the cable. No idea why it would have been disconnected, but explains why I had been so underwhelmed with it.

Anyway, applied the Dynamat to inner of the subwoofer, put it all back and went out for a spin to test the sounds. Linkin Park never sounded so good in any car I've had, the bass could thump me in the back but with no resonance, it sounded really good. Thanks for sharing this one :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back