Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alternator change

Jacko9370

How easy is it to change the alternator on 3.8 c2s?

Are there any guides on here? I did a search but I couldn't find much.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Check the voltage regulator before paying for an alternator :thumb:

It's a 45-60 minute job and the hardest part is wiggling the alternator out from under the intake manifold and then get it back in. There's a knack to it and you might hit upon it instantly or you might struggle for an age. Rest assured it will come out.

Voltage regulators do fail but the plastic end of the rotor holding the rings can melt (as it did on mine). There are aftermarket parts available for a fraction of the cost of a Bosch part and given that replacement is an easy DIY job they may be a sensible option but I appreciate that some won't entertain anything other than a Porsche part.

Whilst you're about it change the serpentine belt!

Nick

All done.

Thanks for help, wriggling it out was difficult, till it fell out when I appeared to do nothing, similar experience getting it back in.

All working nicely now.

Jacko9370 said:
All done.

Thanks for help, wriggling it out was difficult, till it fell out when I appeared to do nothing, similar experience getting it back in.

All working nicely now.

So what was the problem and how did you fix ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back