Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie Question - 3rd radiator

Big Phil1

Silverstone
Hi,

I have seen several threads where fitting a third radiator has been mentioned.

I have a 997.1 CS2 - is this a wise addition to make? What difference does it make?

Are they expensive to get and fit?

Is there anything else I should consider doing to it?

Thanks in advance for your help :D

I just picked mine up today. With the PCGB discount it was a whopping £91

The parts guy checked with head office as he was sure it's a pricing error but they sold it to me nonetheless.

There are many good threads on here so no further advise other than do a search. I'm told it's an easy DIY so I'm looking forward to doing it myself.

I already have the LTT fitted which should be considered as well.

The main benefit is increased cooling ability when current radiators are not sufficiently cooling. This would typically be hot weather or trackdays etc. There are some percieved downsides as well so do you own research.

Big Phil1 said:
Hi,

I have seen several threads where fitting a third radiator has been mentioned.

I have a 997.1 CS2 - is this a wise addition to make? What difference does it make?

Are they expensive to get and fit?

Is there anything else I should consider doing to it?

Thanks in advance for your help :D

For a guide on fitting and parts required read this http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=86467

I followed the above guide, was perfect. I didn't need to remove the lights from the bumper.

I have only fitted the radiator so far, it is a straight forward DIY job. I plan on adding the LTT soon.

FYI, the radiator adds an extra 500ml coolant capacity.

So far, I have only noticed that once the car gets to a high temp (100+) after a spirited run, the temp comes down faster than it did without the radiator when on a cool down run.. This can only be a good thing as the engine is not remaining at high temps for as long. When the LTT is fitted, I imagine it will take longer to get to the high temps. A must have for a driven car.

I have a C4S Tip 2006 Gen 1. I have read that I have a third rad albeit for the transmission.

Can i still fit a third rad for cooling or would there be no space for it or need?

Hope that makes sense!! :?:

t1x said:
I have a C4S Tip 2006 Gen 1. I have read that I have a third rad albeit for the transmission.

Can i still fit a third rad for cooling or would there be no space for it or need?

Hope that makes sense!! :?:

There is no space for an extra radiator in this case, however, it can be argued that your car is benefitting from the third rad anyway as it somewhat cools the engine.

~ Maxie

Hi Maxie,

Thanks for the rapid response.

Just as I thought (no space)

Its just that from what I read, the third rad is mainly for cooling of the tip gearbox and would have only a small effect on overall cooling.

I have a LTT from Hartech fitted so that's all I can do really.

Oh and a magnetic sump plug.

Probably the next option to look at will be a new Hartech solution which, from what I have understood from what has been said, will take additional advantage of having an LTT working in combination with the additional cooling capacity of a third radiator.

Last time I saw it mentioned, it was a bazhart post from about a month ago, he said more details to follow. Somebody may be along to correct me, but I also believe he talked about this being in production around Christmas time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back