Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clear my air con drains?

kerb scraper

Nurburgring
Chaps.. your expert advice needed please.

After recently fixing the air conditioning (just in time for winter) it is now working rather too well. (I'll put up a separate post describing how this was achieved but you won't like it).

After a little motorway run to check the newly balanced front tyres were no longer causing a slight wobble (they weren't!) noticed that when sat on the driveway with engine running there was a sound of trickling water from behind the dash. With the hood up and my ear pressed to the fusebox - it was clearly coming from just below this area.

A quick Google search suggests the noise is probably water condensing on the evaporator; dripping off and then not draining away sufficiently quickly so forming a puddle and I'm guessing it is the blowers agitating it and making the trickling noise. Strange thing is there was an impressive puddle of water under the car so clearly some water is draining out.

Looking at this diagram of the system suggests there are 4 points at which the water is drained from the plastic housing for the heating and air con evaporator and two points where water drains out to the ground: (correct?).

Maybe one drain is clear and the other is blocked?

Does anyone know a way of clearing the drains without dismantling the front of the car? Very grateful for any expert help.

I thought if you look from under the car there is a 'slot' which if followed takes you up to the evaporator :dont know:

My guess is you wont be able to access them from the top without some dis-assembly and knowing what this invloves I wouldn't go there (yes my 993 had a new evaporator :eek: )

It mak be worth trying it in reverse - ie using some piano wire etc pushing it up through the exit ports :dont know:

ToreB may be able to assist with a better idea given his knowledge in this area :worship:

http://p-car.com/diy/ac/
Picture 5 shows the black "8"-shaped drain output by the fuel pump. As far as I know is there only one drain output, you see the piping on one of the other pictures. I guess it is difficult to get to all these pipes without dismantling the air box/fuel tank.
Cheers,
Tore

Thanks Tore - just ordered some T-lights to cheer myself up!

Not taking the gas tank out unless something worse happens methinks.

Looked on Rennlist - one other contributor has reported the same noise and it was suggested may be the oil in the pipes running to the oil cooler making the noise. So now need to have a run with AC switched off and see if noise is still there?

Thank you kerb scraper, I guarantee that the effort needed installing the T-LIGHT kit is much less than any A/C drain cleaning.

You have to run the engine to operating temperature to get any oil flow through the cooler. The noise could come from the oil pipes too.
Cheers,
Tore

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahab
Back