Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speedo / Odometer Problem

Ian993

Good morning all

My 993C4 speedo recently exhibited the usual signs of the plastic cog failing, as the speedometer is working fine but the odometer suddenly stopped turning over.

I was tempted to attempt the diy approach but didn't want to risk breaking the needle spindle so sent it for repair. I've just got it back and used the car for the first time today and it still doesn't work.

Before I complain to the repair company, could there be another cause other than inside the speedo?

Many thanks

Ian

The single speed signal line is used by both displays (speedo and odo)

Therefore, the signal must be good to the back of the unit.

This implies the fault must be within the unit.

Sorry.

Thanks GT4

That was my thought, as I couldn't find any mention on any threads about other problems.

Yep my understanding with these VDO gauges they rely on an electrical impulse or something.

I wonder if one of the feeds from the plug off the back could be tested to make sure it's coming in to the unit :?:

The test will be the speedo needle moving round :roll:

GT4 said:

What happens if it moves round and the numbers on the odo and trip dont :?:

Ian993 said:
I was tempted to attempt the diy approach but didn't want to risk breaking the needle spindle so sent it for repair. I've just got it back and used the car for the first time today and it still doesn't work.

Before I complain to the repair company, could there be another cause other than inside the speedo?

Where did you send it for repair? Was it the guy in holland?

Zingari said:
GT4 said:

What happens if it moves round and the numbers on the odo and trip dont :?:

Then you have the problem the OP describes (go on, all the clues are there, just go back to the top of the thread and read them)

Now we are up to speed (no pun), can we just move to the solution: send it back - they didn't fix it right.

^^ I preferred you when you used to wear that rubber suit :wack:

I'm surprised these 964/993 speedos have chance to fail considering how long they are left disconnected. :dont know:

:hand: :mrgreen:

Thanks for your replies and I spoke to the repair company today and they were most apologetic. They said it should have been a standard repair and they will pay the return postage.

Hopefully 2nd time lucky, so I'll update the post once it's back.

kas750 said:
I'm surprised these 964/993 speedos have chance to fail considering how long they are left disconnected. :dont know:

:hand: :mrgreen:
I think they seize during layup.

I have only driven my car TWICE since August 16th :sad:

Zingari said:
^^ I preferred you when you used to wear that rubber suit :wack:

And that dear Zingers, is why I stopped.

Care to share the details on where you sent it and cost, as mine is showing the same signs. Tim

Since I logged in my mileage on the other thread, my odometer has stopped!! Is it a curse?!?! :sad:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back