Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Number of owners - how much does it matter?

petefm10

Trainee
So, how much does it matter ?
What's to say a 10 years old car with 5/6/7/8 owners has been treated any differently than a car with 1 or 2 owners.
Has the number of owners any bearing on the actual condition of a car! So does it matter to value? If so why?
Given the same car – year, spec, model, price etc.. would we buy on condition or number of owners? i.e. a one-owner car in poor condition or say a 6-owner car in great condition.

Please add to the following pros and cons ......
Multiple owners
Positives:
Each time the car is sold all the major problems are sorted out by the seller so it's likely the car has been looked after
As each owner receives the car he/she spends money on the little things
Bigger cash pool to maintain the car
Car is kept as a second car and cherished
Negatives:
There's chance that one of the keepers will track/abusing the car
Documents will be lost/not transferred
A fat bloke can stretch the driver's seat
1 or 2 owners
Positives:
Cherished
Looked after at same OPC/Indie (not that this really matters much)
All documents likely to be present
Negatives:
As the bills add up over the years it's possible that non-essential work is left undone
When finally sold-on only the essential work is done (MOT type stuff)

Over to you

To me it's irrelevant as I will buy on condition. The 'ideal' is a 1 or 2 owner car but as you say I think issues can sometimes be left especially if low mileage and annual service/repair is a cost v use issue for some owners.

Usual story though - trying to trade on a multiple owner car will always be met with a sharp intake of breath as the dealer flicks through the Black Book statinig it will be easier to get rid of ebola than sell it on :roll: A well used ruse to tempt you to drop your price. But with these cars ownerhsip does move on every couple of years

Its all a load of bollocks .... Lets say its 20 years old , with two owners or 10 owners .
With two owners its likely the car has sat unused between services "bad", if its not sat around its been used as much as the 10 owner car so what's the difference in "who's driven it ?
With 10 owners , its been loved and pampered "none stop" for 20 years , Id rather have a well used car all day long instead of a dried up delicate garage queen .
Some are obsessed with value , im not , life "is" to short , i want a Porsche to drive & nothing else .
More owners is better or worse depends on who's had the car, it should not be a better car " without question" if its had less owners .

1). Low miles. Low owners. Cherished. Driven. Maintained. Polished. Perfect.

2). High miles. High owners. Cherished. Driven. Maintained. Polished. Perfect.

I'll have number 1). Pls.

Mine had had 5 owners in three years when I bought it. Used that to negotiate a nicer price. Bought it with 2 years and 10 months Porsche warranty as it had just been traded in. Bought it on its condition. Might be worth slightly less than a two owner car when I eventually trade it in in three or four year's time but as I got it for a good price in the first instance that's not a worry. Nothing wrong with the car and I've got the warranty if anything does go wrong. :thumb:

I would be more concerned about how long the current owner had owned the car for. If they have owned it for 5 years and it has 8 owners I would take that over a car with 4 owners where has had two in the last year.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I would be more concerned about how long the current owner had owned the car for. If they have owned it for 5 years and it has 8 owners I would take that over a car with 4 owners where has had two in the last year.

MC

^^^^^^^ YES!

Amount of owners is irrelevant.

Quality of owners is.

But it's most likely you'll never know.

kp964 said:
Some are obsessed with value , im not , life "is" to short , i want a Porsche to drive & nothing else .

:hand: Careful the Illuminati will black-ball you with comments like that :grin:

1 bad owner can quickly undo the work of several good ones!

I've also looked at single owner cars where it's been parked up and forgotten for the preceding few years as it just becomes taken for granted.

No magic formula I'm afraid.

It pays to study the paperwork before buying a car.

Using service book stamps, invoices and MOTs the history can be mapped out to see how long each owner had the car, how many miles they did each year and how well they looked after it during their tenure.

The obvious thing to look for is whether the service schedule has been followed or bettered. I'd expect a multi-owner car to have less gaps in the service history than a car with one or two owners (for the reasons already given by others). If it's had lots of owners and shows a patchy service history it would ring loud alarm bells for me.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back