Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Mythbusting

New997buyer

I was led to believe through print and chat that the 996tt had 'body stiffening' added for the MY2002. But it turns out that isn't the case and is wrong.

So in the interest of finding other 996 related myths I thought I'd start this thread.

So what other 996 'myths' would you like to 'bust'?

Rules :judge:

*points WILL be deducted for 996-cliche-BS, eg 'they really ARE a kettle', or 'they ALL blow up' etc. Dig deep and come up with an empirical fact!

*IMS, RMS, temp control, bore score & D chunk contributions ARE allowed as long as accompanied by an empirical fact and the source of the fact

So mine is, the 996tt wasn't given additional stiffening (despite claims to the opposite on PH guides etc) for MY2002.

Next up..... :?:

New996buyer said:
I was led to believe through print and chat that the 996tt had 'body stiffening' added for the MY2002. But it turns out that isn't the case and is wrong.

So in the interest of finding other 996 related myths I thought I'd start this thread.

So what other 996 'myths' would you like to 'bust'?

Rules :judge:

*points WILL be deducted for 996-cliche-BS, eg 'they really ARE a kettle', or 'they ALL blow up' etc. Dig deep and come up with an empirical fact!

*IMS, RMS, temp control, bore score & D chunk contributions ARE allowed as long as accompanied by an empirical fact and the source of the fact

So mine is, the 996tt wasn't given additional stiffening (despite claims to the opposite on PH guides etc) for MY2002.

Next up..... :?:

I dont know if the body stiffening is from NB to WB or if its all the models after a certain year.

Sorry but I'm going to go with a cliche :)

Myth - 996s are the ugly duckling of the 911 family.

Fact - 996 C4S is the best looking 911 and the others aren't that far behind on the looks stakes.

Myth: 993's are better than 996's

Busted: 996's have more room inside, are faster, quieter, more fuel efficient, more comfortable, don't have the silly offst pedal arrangement etc. (I'm sure there is more)...........................you don't need a beard to own one. :D

Shurv said:

Busted: 996's have more room inside, are faster, quieter, more fuel efficient, more comfortable, don't have the silly offst pedal arrangement etc. (I'm sure there is more)...........................you don't need a beard to own one. :D

Or sandals :D

Haha...funny. One of my good friends has a lovely black/black 993 C2 on KY suspension, RS flywheel, hollow spoke turbo wheels and other bits....it's a stunner. But he now suffers from 993 snobbery which we have a good laugh over. When i spotted the advert for mine (996 cabrio with gt3 kit and turbo alloys in cobalt blue) he txt'd me back with 'ghastly' followed by 'overdressed tat surely?'
Unless it's a C2 tintop manual...it's a fake and vastly inferior to everything else :)

Ben

Shurv said:

Ooohhhhhh, gentlemen, start your engines.......! :thumb:

Myth: 996 is an expensive car to maintain.
Fact: No different than any other car I've owned apart for the fact it's easier to work on and most of the parts are cheaper.

Christ Alex, you're brave aren't you? The potential to curse yourself with statements like that! :D

Agree though with regards to working on them...just from the limited poking about I've done, looks very nicely assembled

Ben

alex yates said:
Myth: 996 is an expensive car to maintain.
Fact: No different than any other car I've owned apart for the fact it's easier to work on and most of the parts are cheaper.

Agreed, parts are cheaper than my previous 350Z (not as cheap as our Mk5 golf though).

It's when you start paying Porsche tax on labour and parts that they get expensive.

mr_stevo said:

Fact - 996 C4S is the best looking 911 and the others aren't that far behind on the looks stakes.

I think those two are opinions rather than a myth and a fact.

Shurv said:

They are different, surely there must be at least as many advantages to a 993 as you have listed for the 996?

As some aspects will be more important to all people, and some aspects more important to some people, the conclusion is surely subjective?

(although there is an argument can't second guess the market as the ultimate arbiter)

GT4 said:
mr_stevo said:

I think those two are opinions rather than a myth and a fact.

Sure 'Fact' is subjective, but you admit it's a myth.....? :grin:

GT4 said:
Shurv said:

They are different, surely there must be at least as many advantages to a 993 as you have listed for the 996?

As some aspects will be more important to all people, and some aspects more important to some people, the conclusion is surely subjective?

(although there is an argument can't second guess the market as the ultimate arbiter)

But you agree they aren't 'better'.....? :dance: :D

mr_stevo said:

Fact - 996s were platicky mass produced models.

:thumb: :wink:

You can't compare with 2 simple facts, the 993 is generally perceived by the general public as being one of the best looking cars ever, the 996 is not and secondly the 993 was not a made in the same numbers. Mix rarity and perceived beauty and ............

Yes you can list a 996s advantages over a 993 space, size, technology etc but then you simply open the argument to the many many cars which are better again :dont know:

It's all good though, 996s will find there own place in the porsche market over time but that will be a different one to both the older and probably newer models which will be interesting to see.

So has this thread achieved its aim thus far :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back