Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

LSD-Experience please

786345jg

As I will be having my gearbox taken apart over the winter I like the idea of fitting a LSD at the same time as this will be the cheapest time to have one fitted.

My car is used for fun at weekends and 4-5 track days a year.

Does anyone have one fitted and what do you think?

Thanks guys

There are a few LSD threads on the forum - the one below was from someone asking a similar question and as they are still a forum member they may well have carried out the overhaul/fitment of LSD since the original post so would perhaps be able to comment on what difference it made.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=79407&highlight=lsd

This one also has a few people with/without LSD's thoughts and also some ratios for setup.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=50108&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=lsd&start=15

award said:
There are a few LSD threads on the forum - the one below was from someone asking a similar question and as they are still a forum member they may well have carried out the overhaul/fitment of LSD since the original post so would perhaps be able to comment on what difference it made.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=79407&highlight=lsd

This one also has a few people with/without LSD's thoughts and also some ratios for setup.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=50108&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=lsd&start=15

Thanks for the links. I really do not understand why an LSD would induce under steer. In my understanding an LSD transfers torque to the wheel that has more grip, so the outer wheel when exiting a corner.

As the OP for one of the threads listed above I can tell you that....

I am still running the original LSD. I did some research into rebuilds, replacement, and alternatives but never did take it any further as I found there were other things to do that I deemed a higher priority and would make more of a difference; such as overhauling the whole of the suspension and brakes. So far I cannot say that I have been suffering from a wayward back end any more than usual :oops:

The idea is still in the back of my mind to get this done if I decide to keep the old girl, beginning to consider bowing out, but still undecided about the approach to take and have narrowed it down to either a complete rebuild or fitting a Wavetrac system. I liked the look of these as they act like the standard 'plate type' LSD but use a geared system so there are no plates to wear out. A guy on the PCGB forum fitted one but then went very quiet, not sure whether that's a good sign there...

Either way you are looking at over £1.5k plus the usual extras. Eesh.

I wonder if the kinematic toe of the 993 may change the handling slightly which is designed to cause rear toe correction on cornering - outside wheel toe-in, inside wheel toe-out.

However, from what I can gather from other posts the 993 Carrera RS and GT variants have LSD as standard and would also have kinematic toe - unless the RS/GT suspension is set-up to compensate for this and the LSD??

C4 is probably slightly different kettle of fish due to the front-rear bias of the 4WD set-up - so not sure if C4 experience would help with your decision.

It seems unlikely that Porsche would have specified LSD on some RWD models as standard if it made the car handling worse. Particularly the market those cars models were aimed at.

Not having LSD fitted I can't comment on what effect it has - but there must be more people that could add their experience. I guess in this instance you are interested in a similar drive system to your own - looking at your spec you seem to be going RS route with the engine conversion, etc...

I would imagine that most of us with C4s that have the LSD could barely tell - besides they are probably worn out by now unless they've been replaced.

My 996C2 did have the LSD option and sideways motoring was there whenever I wanted. On private roads of course.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back