Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tandem pump corrosion. Safe to protect with Copaslip grease?

Flystar

Hi. Don't want to sound like I'm being paranoid but is it safe to use Copaslip smeared over the Tandem Pump to prevent further corrosion ?

Reason I ask is that I'm worried the oil temp might creep up as the cooling air that circulates beneath the car may not cool the casing as much.

Cheers

Fly

I was going to use Dinitrol 4010 but haven't got round to it yet....

I wouldn't use anything copper based on aluminium - with two different metals you risk promoting galvanic corrosion.
You could make things worse.

After seeing a few posts about The Tandem Pump I'm tending to go down the route of protecting it. Do folks think 'Alumslip' bu Molyslip will suffice?
Also where exactly is this part?
Cheers
:thumb:

I thought the Tandem pump cover was mild steel not aluminium. How could it make things worse? Surely copper grease is intended to be used on metal surfaces. Would steel be ok ?

Flystar said:
I thought the Tandem pump cover was mild steel not aluminium. How could it make things worse? Surely copper grease is intended to be used on metal surfaces. Would steel be ok ?

Galvanic corrosion will be induced with dissimilar metals - the problem is that copper is the 'wrong' side of steel int he galvanic table and so will PROMOTE corrosion.

Aluminium, however, is the 'right' side.

Steel jackets on offshore rigs often have sacrificial anodes of aluminium. Copper would achieve the reverse effect, with the steel becoming the (sacrificial) anode.

Why not spray it with Scottoiler? Maybe it's too hot for that?

Think I best wipe it off then, cheers.

How about heat resistant lithium based grease?

Just get a tin of 'Alum Slip'. It will also do for other jobs. :thumb:

Great will try aluminium based heat resistant grease then. I take it this will be fine?

Sorry if not understanding your reply properly RJKFlyer.

Flystar said:
Great will try aluminium based heat resistant grease then. I take it this will be fine?

Sorry if not understanding your reply properly RJKFlyer.

No, you have understood correctly. Alislip (aluminium version of copperslip) is fine.

Although probably a true corrosion inhibitor is better as the aluminium is carried in grease and therefore not all that well 'connected' to the steel.

One of the best places to use alislip is on wheel bolts. No wonder people complain of rusting Porsche bolts if they use copperslip!

Is the pump accessible from underneath the car without taking the rear bumper off?

Random mage pulled from Google, but 'yes'.

Same applies to my 997.2 turbo - easily accessible from underneath with no removals required.

Attachments

• porsche_997_rusty_pump_389.jpg
    porsche_997_rusty_pump_389.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 5,580

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back