Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

18" on stock suspension

poorleno

Spa-Francorchamps
Any issues with putting a 993 on 18" wheels on stock suspension -or- Bilstein HD's?

Make sure your tyres are a good make and under 5 years old.

Make sure all your suspension components and top mounts are in first class condition.

Have a proper GEO done.

Good to go.

That's put this thread to bed, Kim!
:wink:

Don't forget the tie bar on the rack - if it needs it!

PS The ride will be 5h1te....

The ride on 17s will be better - I've just changed from 18" hollow spokes.

My 993 was on 18"s with standard suspension when I bought it and was nice, then I put Bilstein Sports dampers on and had it lowered with springs of questionable quality and it ruined a previously good car.

It was great on a track though!

If it's a pre 95 it will need the steering rack strut brace, other than that as long as all the suspension components are in good fettle it should be fine (any play or worn suspension parts will upset the handling/ride more the bigger and heavier the wheels you use).

ATB
Bruce

Bilsteins are hard and cheap.
Monroes are comfortable and expensive. And work well with 18" wheels.

ps the Bilsteins are only cheap until you realise you have to replace them with something more expensive.

It depends how old your bones are, I guess. And how good the roads are round your way.
I found out the expensive way what worked for me.

See here.
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=70481&highlight=bilsteins

I run on Bilstein HDs ....... on 17" cups ...... standard ride height ....... old git ...... bad back ...... don't have a problem with them ....... :)

BruceyBonus61 said:
If it's a pre 95 it will need the steering rack strut brace, other than that as long as all the suspension components are in good fettle it should be fine (any play or worn suspension parts will upset the handling/ride more the bigger and heavier the wheels you use).

ATB
Bruce

I thought the Tech Note stated that early cars (pre a certain chassis number) were not approved for 18" wheels (even with the steering brace fitted). :?

My car has 18" hollow with FSD, it is good.

Tried putting 17" Cup 2 on my car before (with FSD too) and I can confirm that it is better than 18"

The only reasons I keep the hollow are 1. My car has 408 on sticker and 2. The 18" PS2s are newer.

ellistai said:
The only reasons I keep the hollow are 1. My car has 408 on sticker.

That's the only reason I would run 18's but (rarely for an S) mine doesn't so I'm sticking with 17's.

mines a 94 so im guessing im best sticking with 17's

suspension wise should i be getting the M030 or M033 springs for the Bilstein HD dampers?

rottenbend said:
ellistai said:
The only reasons I keep the hollow are 1. My car has 408 on sticker.

That's the only reason I would run 18's but (rarely for an S) mine doesn't so I'm sticking with 17's.
I wish mine didn't so that I could put the beautiful two-tone Cup 2 on my Vesuvius Grey car!

poorleno said:
suspension wise should i be getting the M030 or M033 springs for the Bilstein HD dampers?

MO33 if you want to keep your fillings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back