Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Retrofit sport, sport plus?

Johnny-b

My Gen 2 C2S PDK has neither sport or sport plus, is it possible to retrofit, anyone had it done, how much? Is it Porsche main agent only?

It's a must-have with PDK. I had mine retrofitted, cost was about £900 I think.

AFAIK it's OPC only, but I would think that anyone with access to PIWIS and the ability to order the parts could do it though.

Ekona said:
It's a must-have with PDK. I had mine retrofitted, cost was about £900 I think.

AFAIK it's OPC only, but I would think that anyone with access to PIWIS and the ability to order the parts could do it though.

Out of interest - why do you way it is a must-have?

Yes I've been thinking about getting Sport button added on my PDK - what does it add, and does it make upshift and downshifts sound different?

I ve fitted it to a few cars
Its really only worth doing to a PDK or tiptronic as it then gives the gearbox a sports mode whereby the change up points are higher up the rev range than without.

Th 'package' from Porsche gives a new switch panel on the centre console and a unique to the chassis / vin no to unlock the sports chrono functions that re already in the ecu.
its a main dealer only job as i doubt they will just give you the code for fear of the car ' crashing' during installation

for a normally aspirated car i think the last one cost me £6/650
its more for a turbo

Porsche are rather clever or crafty in that all the emu's have the sports chrono functions already loaded on them , so all you are really buying is anew switch panel approx £45 and about 30 minutes labour to fit the panel and enter the unlock code via the PIWIS, but the unlock code is unique to the VIN no, just another way that Porsche are one of the most profitable car co's per no of cars manufactured

megdog said:
Yes I've been thinking about getting Sport button added on my PDK - what does it add, and does it make upshift and downshifts sound different?

It tells you in the hand book what each button does, generally speeds up the PDK shifts both up and down, I would post a link to the extract but I am not that familiar with how to do that on this forum.
The reason I am looking at this is; I am really pleased with my car but consider it a little quiet so have been researching exhaust mods and have ended up on the Sharkwerks site, in their article on getting the best from the Gen2 they recommend this mod but I had not heard of anyone talking about it in this country, hence my original post.
OPC have since come back with some useful information but are wanting to charge £975. We will commence negotiations tomorrow.
Developments to follow.

mark pearce said:
I ve fitted it to a few cars
Its really only worth doing to a PDK or tiptronic as it then gives the gearbox a sports mode whereby the change up points are higher up the rev range than without.

Th 'package' from Porsche gives a new switch panel on the centre console and a unique to the chassis / vin no to unlock the sports chrono functions that re already in the ecu.
its a main dealer only job as i doubt they will just give you the code for fear of the car ' crashing' during installation

for a normally aspirated car i think the last one cost me £6/650
its more for a turbo

Porsche are rather clever or crafty in that all the emu's have the sports chrono functions already loaded on them , so all you are really buying is anew switch panel approx £45 and about 30 minutes labour to fit the panel and enter the unlock code via the PIWIS, but the unlock code is unique to the VIN no, just another way that Porsche are one of the most profitable car co's per no of cars manufactured

Mark
Thank you for the information most useful, I think I may struggle to get down to your £600 but I will give it a go.

It also alters the flow of torque from the PDK unit, which I'll try to explain in the most simple way I can:

No sport mode: PDK carries on running when changing gear, supplying more torque so that the shift is smoothed out but takes a little longer.

Sport mode: PDK reduces that torque supply, so that your shift feels more 'sporty' but changes quicker.

Sport Plus mode: PDK does not carry any extra torque, and so the gear change is as quick as it can possibly be at the expense of smoothness.

Maximum attack manual shifts with the car set to Sport Plus is one of the greatest experiences you can get in a PDK car :) You also get a more liberal PSM limit (12% slip instead of 6% slip while Sport modes are on), as well as a sharper throttle which you may or may not like (I did).

And, on a PDK, you get the Launch Control.

(I'm assuming that retrofitting 'Sport' actually includes 'Sport Plus' for PDK cars?)

Some more:

Regarding the comment about Sport mode only really being valuable to PDK, I can understand the sentiment, but for the record:
1. It changes the throttle map - effectively makes it more sensitive QUOTE The electronic accelerator pedal reacts sooner, and the engine is more responsive to throttle inputs. When Sport mode is switched on, this function is activated only after the driver has floored the accelerator pedal or released it briefly. UNQUOTE
2. (It changes the PDK map as well-explained above)
3. It allows more 'slip' in the PTM (Porsche Traction Management) - QUOTE provides a more rear-biased drive-torque distribution. This gives the vehicle a balance with greater agility, and sporty oversteer is also possible UNQUOTE
4, It backs off Stability Mgt (PSM) QUOTE PSM (Porsche Stability Management) control gives a sportier road-feel to the vehicle. PSM interventions take place later than in Normal mode. The driver can maneuver the vehicle with greater agility at its performance limits, without having to dispense with the assistance of PSM in emergency situations. This helps to achieve optimal lap times, particularly on race circuits with a dry road surface. UNQUOTE
5. It puts PASM if you have it into hard mode QUOTE PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Manage- ment) is automatically changed to Sport mode, resulting in a stiffer suspension setup. UNQUOTE
6. It will put dynamic engine mounts if you have them (PADM I think it's called) into sport mode, reducing engine movement. QUOTE The dynamic engine mountings are damped more intensely, resulting in a more compact engine and body unit. In dynamic driving maneuvers the vehicle responds with greater agility and more precisely UNQUOTE

RJKflyer said:

(I'm assuming that retrofitting 'Sport' actually includes 'Sport Plus' for PDK cars?)
It does, yes.

Oh man, I'd forgotten all about LC, possibly the greatest invention ever! :D

Ekona said:
RJKflyer said:

It does, yes.

So do you get two buttons then?

Porsche's comments about allowing more slip angle on track make me laugh - if you're serious about being on track, you'll have PSM off anyway.

Chris.

Yup, two buttons. :)

The extra slip but with a safety net is handy on a very wet track, but yeah, PSM would definitely be off otherwise. Well, it was on mine.

You get a few extra memory functions too, but I can't remember them.

Quick up date, AN Other OPC are quoting £1100 for the same two buttons and software update, thought the first one was a bit heavy at £975! Will be having further negotiations next week.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back