Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 or a boxster??

sportline

Hi all
I have always dreamed of a 911 from as far back as I remember.... have a few classic cars and currently have a Opel GT, mk2 golf GTI, and a couple of NSU's but would love a 911

anyway the wife killed my Leon FR and we are now looking for a daily I would love a Porscher, if I raided all our piggy banks I might get to 10k at a big push
but would I get much 911 (or will it be a dog) for that or am I best going to the boxster?
Needs to be ok for 30 miles a day and reliability, won'thave deep pockets for expensive repairs....

any help would be great
thanks

Hiya, :welcome: to 911uk

Sadly, a £10k purchase budget and no 'war chest' is not a good way to enter into 911 ownership.

You will get an early 996 for your money but just running these cars is expensive and the potential for a major (£4k, £5k, £6k +) engine issue is the main reason as to why you can buy them so cheaply nowadays.

Your £10k will obviously get you into a newer and/or lower mileage Boxster but the possibility for major expenditure will still be there.

If you really can't wait to scratch the Porsche itch a Boxster would be the way to go but I'd go for as good a car as I could find for £8.5k and keep some back to pay for the little things that will make it better i.e, a full service, decent tyres etc.

Good luck :thumb:

I might be shot down in flames here..... But having had both a Boxster and now a 997 Cab, I'd say for the money you're looking at and the fact that you mention a lower cost of ownership, then go for a 2005+ Boxster.

You'll have plenty of (s)miles for your money and still get that warm feeling when you walk up to YOUR car everytime.

I loved the Boxster, fantastic car for the money and a-mazing road handling ability.

Get to know it and THEN decide to upgrade to a 911 when you feel the time is right.

Jim

For £10k and regular use and not wanting to keep a reserve tank of big money I would go for neither of those for the reasons someone else gave above.

Have a good read of the forum. Not only the regular amount of catastrophic failures costing up to £10k to put right but also the fears that many have with ownership of the potential IMS, bore score and D-chunk.

buy the car which feels right and drive it every day. fix it yourself of you can and use an independent garage if you can't. at ten grand the service history isn't going to effect resale price over much when/if you move on. don't read too many forums or you will believe that catastrophic failure lies around every corner. just get one and enjoy it. don't lock it in a garage for sunny days. life is short and ifs buts and maybes prevent most people from ever properly experiencing its delights.

Boxster 2.5 - lovely thing! Bosch ME5.2.2 just like tuning an old school BMW! YUM! ;-)

If not - 996 C4S. There's no comparison (unless you can afford Petrol Turbo)

Used to own 2 986's, a 2.5 then a 3.2, both brilliant cars in their own right, and more than capable for everyday transport.

Surprisingly cheap to run too as long as nothing serious goes wrong. Plenty of choice out there.

Have a look on boxa.net for a dedicated Boxster forum, tons of useful info and friendly members on there.

Do you need back seats? If not - Boxster. They are fantastic cars. Then save for a 911 if you still want one.

the 996 rear seats are not exactly user friendly but they can accommodate small kids or as we have found a teenager on occasions. also our dogs love the single seat each arrangement. they are as you mentioned super handy for storage when folded down.
the reality of life is that the original poster probably has another car or access via a partner to another car anyway so the extra seating becomes a little irrelevant . i tend to purposefully use the 911 when i don't want to get roped into taking all and sundry to and from an event in our seven seated land rover......
my daughter used to have to drive all her friends to and from the pub in our fiat 500 until she got her own car-mx5- and that solved that problem.....

Boxster , they come in for a lot of stick , usually from people that haven't driven one , they have two boots, top down if the weather is good , they all handle very well , even the early 2.5 goes well with a few revs on it, try and go for one with a glass rear window . I used mine all summer long , trips to France , Scotland etc , 993 still in the garage !

sportline said:
Hi all
I have always dreamed of a 911 from as far back as I remember.... have a few classic cars and currently have a Opel GT, mk2 golf GTI, and a couple of NSU's but would love a 911

anyway the wife killed my Leon FR and we are now looking for a daily I would love a Porscher, if I raided all our piggy banks I might get to 10k at a big push
but would I get much 911 (or will it be a dog) for that or am I best going to the boxster?
Needs to be ok for 30 miles a day and reliability, won'thave deep pockets for expensive repairs....

any help would be great
thanks

I don't think you'll get a really good 996 for 10K. If you can, go for it. As brilliant as the boxer might be, if you want a 911 you'll probably still want a 911 to some extent. The engine issue is a major red hearing as well. Don't let that put you off. 911C.1's have exhibited minimal failure rates (1% according to the US class action). C.2 higher but most cars sorted by now post clutch change. Some engine renovation companies driving the agenda continuously to drum up business and take frighten owners into handing over cash unnecessarily.

DerbyJim said:
I might be shot down in flames here..... But having had both a Boxster and now a 997 Cab, I'd say for the money you're looking at and the fact that you mention a lower cost of ownership, then go for a 2005+ Boxster.

You'll have plenty of (s)miles for your money and still get that warm feeling when you walk up to YOUR car everytime.

I loved the Boxster, fantastic car for the money and a-mazing road handling ability.

Get to know it and THEN decide to upgrade to a 911 when you feel the time is right.

Jim

Same for me, had Boxster 986 & 987 and a 997 cab, and I would have a Boxster every time. And with your budget you can get a 2005 Boxster with a bit of change. You would struggle to get a decent 911 for that budget and like others have said you would want to have a safety net if you have any issues.
You could get a very nice 986 Boxster, look for a facelift 3.2 model (2003 onward) and you'd be paying 6-8 grand.

I'm looking around for another 986 boxster to turn into a track car.

The only car I have ever missed is my old 3.2 boxster. What a lovely driving sensation a well sorted one is.

If it were my £10k (and it wasnt for the track) I would buy a facelifted 3.2 or an anniversary for £5-8k and enjoy the ownership with the knowledge that you've still got a couple of grand just in case.

Boxsters are truly under rated but I would have another one tomorrow!

Can only speak for myself here. I bought a 2000 996 C4 cab 6 months ago with full history in mint condition (see photo below) with Mot & 6 months Tax & warranty for £10,600 from a reputable local indie. Insurance was £278 fully comp for me n the missus (less than a boxster quote). Road tax is £230 for the year (unlike banded newer cars).

I've spent in the region of £1,200 since owning it but about £600 of that was just me wanting the perfect car (retro cruise fitted, aircon rads and regas and some small auxiliary stuff), non of which had worked for the last 3 ownerships.
The rest of the amount was on a full service - oil, filters, plugs (car wasn't due a service but previous owner had lost the invoice so did it for after-sale value). A new radiator and an MOT that needed 2 new tyres, rear brake pipes and a CV boot.

911 won over the boxster for me for 2 reasons:
1. I can put the dog in the back (and also squeeze a couple of mates in when rocking up at the boozer).
2. It's a NINE ELEVEN!!!!!!

As yet, I still believe it's the best decision I've ever made.

20140921_190456_zps9ec6462c.jpg

20140921_190403_zps5f412199.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back